Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

College Sports From March Madness to the biggest bowl games, Sirius carries top teams like USC, Michigan, and Notre Dame from coast-to-coast. Shout out to fellow fans from your alma mater, or shout down your hated rivals. If it matters in the world of college sports, it's on Sirius!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Avuncular_Jew
Rocket Scientist
 
Avuncular_Jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 954
Avuncular_Jew will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipenguin View Post
BTW, Ohio St & Oklahoma have just as many BCS Championships as USC. One...
You're technically right. But in all fairness to USC, even though LSU won the BCS Championship in 2003, many people consider that season to have ended with a split national championship (because USC finished number 1 in the AP poll).
__________________
.
Avuncular_Jew is offline  
 
 
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Ehilbert1
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2005
Posts: 128
Ehilbert1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avuncular_Jew View Post
They don't stink...that's a ridiculous thing to say. But they're not great either. They've proved that now in the last three major games they've been in (Florida, LSU, USC). But you guys consistently finish seasons in the top 10 (deservedly or not). It must be nice when you can say things like, "Well, at least we can still go to the Rose Bowl." So forgive me if I don't take pity on you Buckeye fans.
You will never hear me or any true Buckeye fan asking for anyones pitty. I do believe they deserve to be in the top 10. They have a lot of talent and hopefully they can pull it together and finish strong. Yes they are consistently in the top 10. They are for a reason. In 2005 they battled National chamion Texas down to the wire and should have won that game. They also contained Vince Young rather well. They finished the season strong desimating a Notre Dame team in the Fiesta Bowl that took a great USC team to the wire and if it wasn't for the "Bush push" they would have won. I bring that game up because USC was suppost to kill Notre Dame. In 2006 The went undefeated and beat a decent Texas team at their place. They also had 9 new starters on defense that year. Granted Florida kicked their asses. There is no excuse for that. I just wish our defensive cordinator would have attacked them instead of sitting back on their heels. Plus our offense line couldn't block as usual. All I'm saying is they do belong in the top 10 because of the talent they have. Its just sad the coaches don't use it well. Again I want no ones pitty. I will never ask for anyones pitty.
Ehilbert1 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
Avuncular_Jew
Rocket Scientist
 
Avuncular_Jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 954
Avuncular_Jew will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehilbert1 View Post
Yes they are consistently in the top 10. They are for a reason.

Yeah, the reason is that they play in the Big Eleven. I have to think Ohio State benefits greatly from playing in that weak conference (especially since Michigan is so awful right now). You put them in the SEC, even the Big XII, they're just another top 25 team. Who are your toughest conference opponents? Wisconsin? Okay, I'll give that to you, they're a pretty good team (by the way, that's a loss for OSU this season). Penn State is decent. You're telling me they'd end up in the top 10 if they played an SEC schedule? No way. They'd finish the season with AT LEAST 4 losses. Unless it's Youngstown St. they're playing, the Buckeyes get embarrassed when they play out-of-conference games.
__________________
.
Avuncular_Jew is offline  
 
 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
Ehilbert1
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2005
Posts: 128
Ehilbert1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avuncular_Jew View Post
Yeah, the reason is that they play in the Big Eleven. I have to think Ohio State benefits greatly from playing in that weak conference (especially since Michigan is so awful right now). You put them in the SEC, even the Big XII, they're just another top 25 team. Who are your toughest conference opponents? Wisconsin? Okay, I'll give that to you, they're a pretty good team (by the way, that's a loss for OSU this season). Penn State is decent. You're telling me they'd end up in the top 10 if they played an SEC schedule? No way. They'd finish the season with AT LEAST 4 losses. Unless it's Youngstown St. they're playing, the Buckeyes get embarrassed when they play out-of-conference games.
I can admit that the Bit Ten is down. It wasn't always like that. I remember Michigan putting a beating on Florida last year. If it wasn't for a couple Hart fumbles they would have blown them out. I remember Purdue beating LSU a few years ago. Hell even Penn State and Wisconsin give SEC teams all they can handle. Didn't Wisonsin beat a damn good Auburn team a couple years ago? Even Penn State gave Tennesee a game. Ohio State blew Penn State out last year at their place at night. Tennessee didn't do that. Every year its give or take. Everyone acts like The Big Ten is so bad against the SEC. It's not the Big Ten its Ohio State. Michigan has been pretty damn good against the SEC,but loses to Ohio State. I remember reading last year some posts on another board how bad Florida was going to beat Michigan. You know the team that lost to App State. Michigan was suppost to get blown out by Florida. People would post how superior Florida was because of the SEC. After the game it was funny seeing the same people post how Florida was one of the bad teams in the SEC that year. I remember in 2004 Kansas State who blew out Oklahoma was supposed to dismantle the Buckeyes. That never happened. In 2005 Texas was supposed to come to The Shoe and kick their asses. That never happened. That was a great game and Ohio State was in it till the end. Ok one more 2006.... Ohio State was supposed to get schooled by Texas at theirf place. That never happened and they basicaly had a brand new defense. It was the other way around. Ohio State used to be up for big games that's not the case now. I am so sick of people saying it's their schedule. They schedule the big boys. Granted Washington didn't turn out to well. Speaking of Washington it was funny to hear SEC fans bash Ohio State for playing Washington and then trun around and cheer LSU for scheduling Washington. Ohio State has a lot of great nonconfrence games coming up....USC again,Oklahoma,Miami Fl, VaTech. Say what you want about Ohio State,but the Big Ten has held its own against other confrences. You may be right they might lose to Wisconsin. Then again maybe they suck it up and start winning. One last thing..... You crack on them for playing Youngstown State. That is the second time they have ever played a D1AA school. You can't say that about SEC schools. They schedule them every year. I know I know its because the SEC is so damn tough. I do believe its the toughest and the best,but lets see Florida travel to USC. Lets see LSU head to Oklahoma. Ohio State might lose to those teams,but atleast they have the balls to schedule them.

Last edited by Ehilbert1; 09-18-2008 at 06:49 PM..
Ehilbert1 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Ehilbert1
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2005
Posts: 128
Ehilbert1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a question for you. How can you bring up the Big12 and if Ohio State was in it with a straight face? Their champion(Oklahoma) has gotten beat in the last 4 BCS games. They got their asses kicked by USC in a title game. They lost to Boise State and WVU put a beating on them. Seriously.... How can you put down Ohio State and the Big Ten and not Oklahoma and the Big 12??? So is Oklahoma always a top 10 team because they play in the Big 12? By your logic that has to be it. There is no difference between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Don't blame Ohio State for getting in a title game they didn't belong in(07). 7 teams lost and didn't take care of business. That is why they got in. I just love how everyone says what if or if such and such was in such and such confrence they would suck. No one knows that.

Also to any Oklahoma fans...... I am not putting down your program or confrence. I have nothing but respect for it. I just wanted to make a point and I think I did.
Ehilbert1 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
semipenguin
Sirius Star
College football - Week 3
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Smile

Good points...
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
Avuncular_Jew
Rocket Scientist
 
Avuncular_Jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 954
Avuncular_Jew will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehilbert1 View Post
I have a question for you. How can you bring up the Big12 and if Ohio State was in it with a straight face? Their champion(Oklahoma) has gotten beat in the last 4 BCS games. They got their asses kicked by USC in a title game. They lost to Boise State and WVU put a beating on them. Seriously.... How can you put down Ohio State and the Big Ten and not Oklahoma and the Big 12??? So is Oklahoma always a top 10 team because they play in the Big 12? By your logic that has to be it. There is no difference between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Don't blame Ohio State for getting in a title game they didn't belong in(07). 7 teams lost and didn't take care of business. That is why they got in. I just love how everyone says what if or if such and such was in such and such confrence they would suck. No one knows that.

Also to any Oklahoma fans...... I am not putting down your program or confrence. I have nothing but respect for it. I just wanted to make a point and I think I did.
Come on man...Oklahoma would run up and down the field on Ohio State. But I never brought up the Sooners in the first place. My point was, from top to bottom, the Big 12 (and especially the SEC) are much better conferences than the Big 10. If Ohio State were to find themselves playing a Big 12 schedule, or an SEC schedule, they'd end the season with at least 2 more losses. They'd be just another top 25 team.

Minnesota? Purdue? Indiana? Northwestern? Iowa? Michigan State? Michigan? I'd take a team like Oklahoma State over each and every one of those teams (probably Penn State and Illinois as well)...and they're average within the Big 12. Kudos to Ohio State for scheduling "big boys" in non-conference play. But maybe they should stop...it doesn't seem to be working out. Think about it...they'd still be a (hugely overrated) top 5 team and undefeated if they didn't play USC.

Now, with all that said, and as a Texas Tech fan/graduate, I'd kill to have the kind of success and talent that Ohio St enjoys year after year. You guys have a tremendous program rich in history and tradition. It's awesome, really. You guys go to a Rose Bowl, and the season is somewhat of a disappointment. We go to a BCS bowl (hopefully), and it's the best season we've ever had. So, far be it from me to criticize the Buckeyes. By the way, I'd love a rematch from 2002.

And why won't they change it to the Big 11? They went so far as to put a "hidden" 11 in the logo...why not just change the name? I'm not trying to be a smart ass...I'm really just curious as to why?

__________________
.

Last edited by Avuncular_Jew; 09-18-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Avuncular_Jew is offline  
 
 
Old 09-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Ehilbert1
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2005
Posts: 128
Ehilbert1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avuncular_Jew View Post
Come on man...Oklahoma would run up and down the field on Ohio State. But I never brought up the Sooners in the first place. My point was, from top to bottom, the Big 12 (and especially the SEC) are much better conferences than the Big 10. If Ohio State were to find themselves playing a Big 12 schedule, or an SEC schedule, they'd end the season with at least 2 more losses. They'd be just another top 25 team.

Minnesota? Purdue? Indiana? Northwestern? Iowa? Michigan State? Michigan? I'd take a team like Oklahoma State over each and every one of those teams (probably Penn State and Illinois as well)...and they're average within the Big 12. Kudos to Ohio State for scheduling "big boys" in non-conference play. But maybe they should stop...it doesn't seem to be working out. Think about it...they'd still be a (hugely overrated) top 5 team and undefeated if they didn't play USC.

Now, with all that said, and as a Texas Tech fan/graduate, I'd kill to have the kind of success and talent that Ohio St enjoys year after year. You guys have a tremendous program rich in history and tradition. It's awesome, really. You guys go to a Rose Bowl, and the season is somewhat of a disappointment. We go to a BCS bowl (hopefully), and it's the best season we've ever had. So, far be it from me to criticize the Buckeyes. By the way, I'd love a rematch from 2002.

And why won't they change it to the Big 11? They went so far as to put a "hidden" 11 in the logo...why not just change the name? I'm not trying to be a smart ass...I'm really just curious as to why?

The only reason I brought up Oklahoma is the fact that they have been just as bad as us on the big stage. I have no idea if Oklahoma would run up and down the field on Ohio State. I guess it would depend on which Ohio State team shows up. Wasn't it last year when everyone and their brothers said Oklahoma will kill WVU. They will kill Colorado. No one knows what will happen. Ohio State has just as much talent. It's just funny how certain confrences get the big head as with the big 12 and their champion getting killed by WVU. I also remember all the SEC fans a couple years ago saying how Georgia would kill WVU because they play in the Big East. That never happend. I give Georgia credit they came back and made a game of it. I think that had to do with playing in the SEC. It prepares you. I'm in no way saying the Big Ten is better than The Big 12 or the SEC. All I am saying is that it holds its own and its not as bad as people make it out to be. You say they shouldn't schedule the big boys??? If that happened then people would bitch that they don't. Right now Ohio State is in a no win situation. People will hate them and talk about them no matter what. What they need to do is just win and win against the big boys. You can have Oklahoma State. Oh yea they were supposed to beat Ohio State in 04 in the Alamo Bowl. I remember seeing Big 12 fans saying that. That never happened either. For years people have said Ohio State will lose their out of confrence games and until recently that hasn't happend. That was your point that Ohio State plays bad against teams out of confrence. It's just not true. They beat WVU their,Arizona there,UCLA there and home,Texas there,Washington here and there NC State(when they were good and had Phillip Rivers) here and there,Washington State hereb Texas Tech here. Like I said this losing shit is all recently. I would like to see them play Texas Tech again. They have a great team and that Crabtree is the man.

I have no ill will toward you. I just hate all the what if's. No one knows man. Great teams get beat by no bodies(see USC and Stanford) and overrated teams(OSU) get beat by great teams. Thats why they play the games. I have no idea why is not called the Big 11.

Last edited by Ehilbert1; 09-19-2008 at 12:02 PM..
Ehilbert1 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #24
Avuncular_Jew
Rocket Scientist
 
Avuncular_Jew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 954
Avuncular_Jew will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehilbert1 View Post
I have no ill will toward you.
Nor do I towards you. I love debating and discussing college football, it's my favorite sport. And it's the only sport without a postseason consisting of a tournament format. So, naturally, you're going to get a lot of argument over who really is the best. And then the schedules are so different from team to team, conference to conference, so that's just another variable in the equation. I'm glad you have started to post over here in this sub-forum...the more discussion over college football, the better!
__________________
.
Avuncular_Jew is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
College football - Week 2 Avuncular_Jew College Sports 11 09-08-2008 07:09 PM
Best College Football Websites? Hofstra Handles SIRIUS Sports 8 10-28-2006 10:36 PM
The College Football HIT of the week!!! Sandlapper The Doghouse 3 09-27-2005 09:00 PM
Anyone else ready for some College Football 4BAMA SIRIUS Sports 18 07-19-2005 05:45 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.