Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Howard Stern Come here to discuss anything about his show or his two channels.
Please Note: You must request access to post in the Howard Stern Forum. Read more here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Die_LaMattres
Sirius Star
 
Die_LaMattres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,191
Die_LaMattres is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
That makes sense, but let's give the trolls a break. They are still basking in the fact that one subscriber (1!!!) on SBS has stated he is going to cancel his subscription(s) to Sirius because he is unhappy (yet, he is still going to download The Show illegally on a daily basis). This article is a wet blanket on that celebration and since they really have so little in their lives, we should cut 'em some slack. Besides, everyone knows the only articles that count are in Cracked and Steppin' Out.

FYI, every Stern fan who is not thrilled with the show for whatever reason is not a troll. I only wish O & A or some other morning show would be good enough to make an impact. It would give fans an alternative in addition to maybe getting Howard to step up his effort a bit.
Die_LaMattres is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Great review of Howard's satellite show
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
FYI, every Stern fan who is not thrilled with the show for whatever reason is not a troll. I only wish O & A or some other morning show would be good enough to make an impact. It would give fans an alternative in addition to maybe getting Howard to step up his effort a bit.
Goreds is not a Stern fan, nor is/was Soxnation or xzi. And FYI, your opinion is in the minority. Aside from the bitching about the schedule and vacations, it is almost universally felt that he is far better on Sirius than he's been in years on terrestrial (sort of like the review said).

BTW, have you ever posted one positive thing about the show? I can't understand why someone would continue to listen to something that makes them so miserable. If I hated it so much, I'd just stop listening and save the effort it takes to bitch about it for a more enjoyable activity. It reminds me of the people who bitch about how The Sopranos sucks since it's not as good as the first season and "we need more whackin'". 5 seasons later they are still watching and still bitching. Jeez, when do you stop being a victim of bad radio/TV and start being a volunteer? At least J3ff finally dumped his subscriptions (of course he's still listening, he's just being cheap about it).
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
rickster53
Mixologist
 
rickster53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 20, 2005
Posts: 265
rickster53 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
Goreds is not a Stern fan, nor is/was Soxnation or xzi. And FYI, your opinion is in the minority. Aside from the bitching about the schedule and vacations, it is almost universally felt that he is far better on Sirius than he's been in years on terrestrial (sort of like the review said).

BTW, have you ever posted one positive thing about the show? I can't understand why someone would continue to listen to something that makes them so miserable. If I hated it so much, I'd just stop listening and save the effort it takes to bitch about it for a more enjoyable activity. It reminds me of the people who bitch about how The Sopranos sucks since it's not as good as the first season and "we need more whackin'". 5 seasons later they are still watching and still bitching. Jeez, when do you stop being a victim of bad radio/TV and start being a volunteer? At least J3ff finally dumped his subscriptions (of course he's still listening, he's just being cheap about it).

Amen to everything you just said.
rickster53 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Die_LaMattres
Sirius Star
 
Die_LaMattres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,191
Die_LaMattres is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
Goreds is not a Stern fan, nor is/was Soxnation or xzi. And FYI, your opinion is in the minority. Aside from the bitching about the schedule and vacations, it is almost universally felt that he is far better on Sirius than he's been in years on terrestrial (sort of like the review said).

BTW, have you ever posted one positive thing about the show? I can't understand why someone would continue to listen to something that makes them so miserable. If I hated it so much, I'd just stop listening and save the effort it takes to bitch about it for a more enjoyable activity. It reminds me of the people who bitch about how The Sopranos sucks since it's not as good as the first season and "we need more whackin'". 5 seasons later they are still watching and still bitching. Jeez, when do you stop being a victim of bad radio/TV and start being a volunteer? At least J3ff finally dumped his subscriptions (of course he's still listening, he's just being cheap about it).
I have posted positives about the show. I only wish there was something better, but there isn't. And I disagree that my opinion is in the minority. Maybe on this board it is, but almost every long-term fan I speak with is not 100% happy with the show these days. The stockholders seem to agree, as well, as Sirius has dipped more than 40% since January.
Die_LaMattres is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #20
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Great review of Howard's satellite show
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
I have posted positives about the show. I only wish there was something better, but there isn't. And I disagree that my opinion is in the minority. Maybe on this board it is, but almost every long-term fan I speak with is not 100% happy with the show these days. The stockholders seem to agree, as well, as Sirius has dipped more than 40% since January.
Big difference between "not 100% happy" and canceling a subscription. As far as "almost every long term fan" being unhappy, I've been listening since 87 and I'm as pleased now as I was back then. Even more pleased because I can listen to all 5-6 hours anytime I want on my s50. As far as Sirius stock is concerned, it's a hell of a stretch to say that the stock dipping is due to unhappiness with Stern. A better indicator (although not perfect) is subscriptions and they are through the roof. An even better indicator than new subs would be the sub retention figure and it is great for Sirius, especially compared with XM's retention rate which is in the dumper.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #21
TheScionicMan
Sirius Star
 
TheScionicMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2006
Location: In the Hot Tub
Posts: 8,433
TheScionicMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheScionicMan has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
I only wish there was something better, but there isn't.

You're posts tend to come across like the show sucks but luckily for it, everything else sucks worse. Maybe it's just a glass half empty/half full sort of thing...
__________________
--------------------------------

LUABASI
TheScionicMan is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
reevee69
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 01, 2006
Posts: 210
reevee69 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
I have posted positives about the show. I only wish there was something better, but there isn't. And I disagree that my opinion is in the minority. Maybe on this board it is, but almost every long-term fan I speak with is not 100% happy with the show these days. The stockholders seem to agree, as well, as Sirius has dipped more than 40% since January.

Way back then people weren't 100% happy with the show either. Go to the alt.binaries Stern newsgroup and search the archives. But guess what people still listened because there was nothing better.

I think the current show is great. But if you are not 100% satisfied, switch the channel or cancel your subscription. There is really nothing holding you back. My brother for example is unwilling to pay for radio and has started listening to Bill Handle and Mark & Bryan here in LA. Maybe you can find something you like in your local area.
reevee69 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #23
Die_LaMattres
Sirius Star
 
Die_LaMattres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,191
Die_LaMattres is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
Big difference between "not 100% happy" and canceling a subscription. As far as "almost every long term fan" being unhappy, I've been listening since 87 and I'm as pleased now as I was back then. Even more pleased because I can listen to all 5-6 hours anytime I want on my s50. As far as Sirius stock is concerned, it's a hell of a stretch to say that the stock dipping is due to unhappiness with Stern. A better indicator (although not perfect) is subscriptions and they are through the roof. An even better indicator than new subs would be the sub retention figure and it is great for Sirius, especially compared with XM's retention rate which is in the dumper.
I agree with your first point, as I'm not canceling my subscription just yet. Some people do enjoy the show more than before, such as yourself - good or you. Sometimes I do, as well, sometimes I do not. Others I've talked to feel the way I do, some do not. It's just a matter of opinion, I suppose.

I disagree with your stock analogy. Howard is Sirius and vice versa. Unfortunately, since Howard's arrival the stock has sunk more than 40%. I'm not happy about it - I really don't care. I'm just pointing out a fact. A fact that can be easily checked - feel free to do so if you think I'm lying. and how do you know subscriptions are through the roof?
Die_LaMattres is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #24
Die_LaMattres
Sirius Star
 
Die_LaMattres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,191
Die_LaMattres is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevee69
Way back then people weren't 100% happy with the show either. Go to the alt.binaries Stern newsgroup and search the archives. But guess what people still listened because there was nothing better.

I think the current show is great. But if you are not 100% satisfied, switch the channel or cancel your subscription. There is really nothing holding you back. My brother for example is unwilling to pay for radio and has started listening to Bill Handle and Mark & Bryan here in LA. Maybe you can find something you like in your local area.
Good first point. People were always critical of the show for various reasons. I was never critical, or voiced displeasure about the show until the move to Sirius. I never thought I would be on the "other end" of a Howard Stern related discussion. Oh, well - as the Nambla guy says "Times change"....
Die_LaMattres is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #25
reevee69
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 01, 2006
Posts: 210
reevee69 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
Unfortunately, since Howard's arrival the stock has sunk more than 40%. I'm not happy about it - I really don't care. I'm just pointing out a fact.
I'll point out some other facts too since you don't really care:

Since HS's arrival the subscriptions have gone through the roof.
Since HS's arrival Sirius became a legitimate contender to XM
Since HS's arrival XM's stock has also tumbled.

Maybe you don't cancel and listen to the rest of the channels. I do that quite a bit after I've had my fill of H100 and H101.
reevee69 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #26
Die_LaMattres
Sirius Star
 
Die_LaMattres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,191
Die_LaMattres is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevee69
I'll point out some other facts too since you don't really care:

Since HS's arrival the subscriptions have gone through the roof.
Since HS's arrival Sirius became a legitimate contender to XM
Since HS's arrival XM's stock has also tumbled.

Maybe you don't cancel and listen to the rest of the channels. I do that quite a bit after I've had my fill of H100 and H101.
Subscriptions have no doubt risen due to Howard. Despite this fact, the stock has still dropped over 40% since his arrival.

I'm not familiar with XM, so I really can't comment fairly.

If Howard's arrival caused XM stock to drop, what do you think the cause of Sirius' stock decline?
Die_LaMattres is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_LaMattres
Subscriptions have no doubt risen due to Howard. Despite this fact, the stock has still dropped over 40% since his arrival.

I'm not familiar with XM, so I really can't comment fairly.

If Howard's arrival caused XM stock to drop, what do you think the cause of Sirius' stock decline?
Not that I believe one way or the other, but Howard mentioned that Sirius reinvested in itself by sending more satellites up into space so as to provide for better all around reception here on the ground, something XM did a few years ago. Of course Howard's huge payoff will have a rippling effect(maybe that's what Howard heard in his earphones the other day), but I think the satellite calibration is the main culprit. Investors may be a little bit wary at this time. Is satellite radio a good long term investment? Will Howard stay on past his five years? They are showing growth in subs, hopefully the number being touted ISN'T counting rental cars, but purely customer driven subs.
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #28
goreds2
Sirius Star
 
goreds2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2005
Location: XM Country
Posts: 2,056
goreds2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
Goreds is not a Stern fan, nor is/was Soxnation or xzi.
I WAS a Stern Fan.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.
__________________
* On My IGNORE List: Jgatie

** Jgatie quote to me: "Start sticking your pointy little head in where it doesn't belong and I'll get a mod to go all xzi on your ass. That's a promise."

http://www.sirius.com/thevirus

MEL: Please add RADIO MARGARITAVILLE to Best of SIRIUS package.

* Eddie and TRACY Radio Show 3pm-6pm est. on XM173 (WLW)

Two XM MyFi's (One for son / One for me with BEST OF SIRIUS)
One XM Delphi In Home Repeater
One SIRIUS Stratus 4 in Mrs. goreds2 Car
goreds2 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #29
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Great review of Howard's satellite show
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2
I WAS a Stern Fan.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.
Again with the capital letters. What is it with you guys? Just post a car crash and be done with it!!(??) You know you want to.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 11-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #30
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2
I WAS a Stern Fan.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.
What's the over/under on how many times the Reds announcer will get to say, "And this one belongs to the Reds" this season? 60-70?
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satellite Radio Gaining Popularity SiriusChic SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 10 06-14-2006 07:42 PM
Stern to Move From Viacom To Satellite Broadcaster Sirius testforecho SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 20 10-08-2004 08:28 PM
Broadcast Bullies - NAB satradfan Galaxy Nation 1 09-03-2004 08:06 AM
Revolution is in the Air- Chicago Tribune Article satradfan The Street 0 06-27-2004 01:13 PM
Great NFL show on Siri today Trap The Street 2 04-15-2004 07:19 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.