Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Howard Stern Come here to discuss anything about his show or his two channels.
Please Note: You must request access to post in the Howard Stern Forum. Read more here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #136
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O & A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
Actually, over half their show is not regulated by the FCC. That is a fact. 6-9 is FCC regulated, 9-12 is not. By my math, those are both 3 hour segments. And you not liking the XM half is an opinion/preference of yours. There are people out there who agree and people who don't. I personally enjoy both portions of the show equally.
A) How many times a week do they go right up to 12:00, hmmm?

B) Is there not a movement afoot to extend the FCC censored CBS part to 10:00 in order to coincide with the morning drive ratings slot? I.E. The "JV and Elvis are pulling us down" syndrome? (Don't bother answering, I have cites. Unlike the cites we requested when it was claimed O&A on Letterman beat Howard on Letterman - We're still waiting for those). Also note from this "syndrome" is the fact that Howard was known to prop up weak followup shows (as well as whole stations), earning them higher ratings than they ever achieved when not carried by Stern's morning drive slot. O&A, per usual, use weaker shows (JV and Elvis) and stations (Chicago, Detroit) as an excuse for their low ratings, forever not realizing that bragging about sitting on the throne of the former King does not earn ratings and simply being "cringe-worthy" does not gain listeners.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #137
bear_s75
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 17, 2006
Posts: 59
bear_s75 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
A) How many times a week do they go right up to 12:00, hmmm?

B) Is there not a movement afoot to extend the FCC censored CBS part to 10:00 in order to coincide with the morning drive ratings slot? I.E. The "JV and Elvis are pulling us down" syndrome? (Don't bother answering, I have cites. Unlike the cites we requested when it was claimed O&A on Letterman beat Howard on Letterman - We're still waiting for those). Also note from this "syndrome" is the fact that Howard was known to prop up weak followup shows (as well as whole stations), earning them higher ratings than they ever achieved when not carried by Stern's morning drive slot. O&A, per usual, use weaker shows (JV and Elvis) and stations (Chicago, Detroit) as an excuse for their low ratings, forever not realizing that bragging about sitting on the throne of the former King does not earn ratings and simply being "cringe-worthy" does not gain listeners.

Take that O&A faggots! O&A going to Howards old stations is about like a washed up running back going to the Arizona Cardinals for one or two more sympathy seasons before they go away, Except O&A are still trying to gain a status they will never have. They have a decent show. I will admit that, but they are not or will never be what howard is. You leave the northeast and they are no names. If you polled the south, more people would know Jon boy and Billy(who are awful) over O&A.
bear_s75 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #138
loadfet17
Sirius Star
 
loadfet17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,256
loadfet17 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_s75
You leave the northeast and they are no names.
Hmm, I thought they were pretty much no-names in the northeast as well. Maybe, just maybe they will be as big a name as that savvy radio personality Don Imus!
__________________
Friday and Saturday nights, I'll probably be at:

www.williamsgrove.com

or

www.newegyptspeedway.net
loadfet17 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #139
bear_s75
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 17, 2006
Posts: 59
bear_s75 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadfet17
Hmm, I thought they were pretty much no-names in the northeast as well. Maybe, just maybe they will be as big a name as that savvy radio personality Don Imus!
Sorry...what i meant was at least people have heard of them in the Northeast, doesn't mean they listen. People in the other 80% of the country have heard of them nada.
bear_s75 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #140
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O & A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_s75
Sorry...what i meant was at least people have heard of them in the Northeast, doesn't mean they listen. People in the other 80% of the country have heard of them nada.
I heard it said before that when people hear "Howard" they immediately think "Howard Stern". When people hear "Opie" they think of "Little Ritchie Cunningham"
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #141
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
A) How many times a week do they go right up to 12:00, hmmm?

B) Is there not a movement afoot to extend the FCC censored CBS part to 10:00 in order to coincide with the morning drive ratings slot? I.E. The "JV and Elvis are pulling us down" syndrome? (Don't bother answering, I have cites. Unlike the cites we requested when it was claimed O&A on Letterman beat Howard on Letterman - We're still waiting for those). Also note from this "syndrome" is the fact that Howard was known to prop up weak followup shows (as well as whole stations), earning them higher ratings than they ever achieved when not carried by Stern's morning drive slot. O&A, per usual, use weaker shows (JV and Elvis) and stations (Chicago, Detroit) as an excuse for their low ratings, forever not realizing that bragging about sitting on the throne of the former King does not earn ratings and simply being "cringe-worthy" does not gain listeners.
It must be pointed out that while setting record numbers in listernership, Howard had Cabbie as a lead in for some time and Meg Griffin following him. So Howard really had no help.
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #142
phalaxmidi10
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2006
Posts: 122
phalaxmidi10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to phalaxmidi10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
Hex and Phalax are minor trolls. They are easily quashed as soon as they open their Kool-Aid stained lips.
I take offense to this. The reason I am "easily quashed" is because I actually do have a life and cannot afford to spend all of my time on a message board. When you're a student at the United States Military Academy at West Point, like I am, you don't really have much free time to spend on a board such as this one. So please don't ever insult my intelligence. However, feel free to bash my taste in radio shows.
phalaxmidi10 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #143
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
I take offense to this. The reason I am "easily quashed" is because I actually do have a life and cannot afford to spend all of my time on a message board. When you're a student at the United States Military Academy at West Point, like I am, you don't really have much free time to spend on a board such as this one. So please don't ever insult my intelligence. However, feel free to bash my taste in radio shows.
So if you're at West Point and you're promoted, will you insist on only being adressed by Jgatie as a Major Troll instead of a minor one?
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #144
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O & A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
I take offense to this. The reason I am "easily quashed" is because I actually do have a life and cannot afford to spend all of my time on a message board. When you're a student at the United States Military Academy at West Point, like I am, you don't really have much free time to spend on a board such as this one. So please don't ever insult my intelligence. However, feel free to bash my taste in radio shows.
I applaud your service and admire your dedication to your studies, but even the best and the brightest can suffer from fanboyism. Instead of being insulted, why didn't you refute my statements? To whit:

A) How many times a week do they go right up to 12:00, hmmm?

B) Is there not a movement afoot to extend the FCC censored CBS part to 10:00 in order to coincide with the morning drive ratings slot? I.E. The "JV and Elvis are pulling us down" syndrome?

Answering these honestly would go a long way towards reassuring me that you are an honest troll instead of one who just spouts the O&A talking points. You have to admit, most of the bboys' statements are easily blown to pieces by the knowledgeable listeners on this particular board. That's why Goreds sticks to vacations and days off. He knows he can't win by talking about ratings or the history (or even the existence) of the "rivalry".
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #145
phalaxmidi10
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2006
Posts: 122
phalaxmidi10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to phalaxmidi10
Default

To answer the first question, O&A rarely go up to noon. In fact, they really don't go much past 11. However, that doesn't change the fact that the hour from 11-12 is still unregulated by the FCC, which was my initial argument. It's a minor technicality, I know. As far as the extending the Free FM portion of the show to 10 is concerned, I'm not really sure if that's still in the works. I know that it was talked about after the last set of ratings came out, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere.

If you want my honest opinion about the low ratings, I'd tell you this: I listen to O&A on XM, even during their Free FM portion. I'm pretty sure that a good amount of people do the same. Therefore, the Free FM ratings are not reflecting everbody who is listening to that portion of the show, because some are listening on XM. I believe that O&A really don't have as many listeners on Free FM because a lot of people who like the show already have XM. As a listener, would I prefer to have an all XM show? Probably. I do think that FM allows them to get better guests and more recognition though. So from the eyes of XM and O&A, I can see why the deal was made.
phalaxmidi10 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #146
loadfet17
Sirius Star
 
loadfet17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,256
loadfet17 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
To answer the first question, O&A rarely go up to noon. In fact, they really don't go much past 11. However, that doesn't change the fact that the hour from 11-12 is still unregulated by the FCC, which was my initial argument. It's a minor technicality, I know. As far as the extending the Free FM portion of the show to 10 is concerned, I'm not really sure if that's still in the works. I know that it was talked about after the last set of ratings came out, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere.

If you want my honest opinion about the low ratings, I'd tell you this: I listen to O&A on XM, even during their Free FM portion. I'm pretty sure that a good amount of people do the same. Therefore, the Free FM ratings are not reflecting everbody who is listening to that portion of the show, because some are listening on XM. I believe that O&A really don't have as many listeners on Free FM because a lot of people who like the show already have XM. As a listener, would I prefer to have an all XM show? Probably. I do think that FM allows them to get better guests and more recognition though. So from the eyes of XM and O&A, I can see why the deal was made.
Wow! Someone actually deviated from the talking points. Riddle me this then sir: If O&A only had 30,000-60,000 subs willing to pay for them on XM, do you really think that there are enough people listening to detract from their ratings? I mean, there are only 7 million XM subs NATIONWIDE!! They would be lucky IMO to have 1-2 million listeners at any given time on XM. It may skew the numbers a little bit, but it would not turn a #1 show into #22, buried behind DON IMUS!!
__________________
Friday and Saturday nights, I'll probably be at:

www.williamsgrove.com

or

www.newegyptspeedway.net
loadfet17 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #147
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
To answer the first question, O&A rarely go up to noon. In fact, they really don't go much past 11. However, that doesn't change the fact that the hour from 11-12 is still unregulated by the FCC, which was my initial argument. It's a minor technicality, I know. As far as the extending the Free FM portion of the show to 10 is concerned, I'm not really sure if that's still in the works. I know that it was talked about after the last set of ratings came out, but I'm not sure that it went anywhere.

If you want my honest opinion about the low ratings, I'd tell you this: I listen to O&A on XM, even during their Free FM portion. I'm pretty sure that a good amount of people do the same. Therefore, the Free FM ratings are not reflecting everbody who is listening to that portion of the show, because some are listening on XM. I believe that O&A really don't have as many listeners on Free FM because a lot of people who like the show already have XM. As a listener, would I prefer to have an all XM show? Probably. I do think that FM allows them to get better guests and more recognition though. So from the eyes of XM and O&A, I can see why the deal was made.

I see your mac-hine has more than a rinse and wash cycle.
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #148
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O & A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
However, that doesn't change the fact that the hour from 11-12 is still unregulated by the FCC, which was my initial argument.
No, you said that "over half their show is not regulated by the FCC." If they are not on the air, then there is no show to be unregulated. But you knew that. The original poster was correct when he said over half their show was regulated.

As far as the ratings are concerned, ratings are ratings and saying that the people who liked them already listen to them on XM means they have a limited audience and are not able to extend their reach outside of that. In the radio business, that will never get them to the holy grail they claim they are after - Howard numbers. They are a niche show that appeals to cringe type humor that at it's source is cruel and abusive, with none of the underlying feeling and heart that Howard had/has with his fans. Just like frat boy humor, it gets old after a while and pretty soon their fans look back and say "Man, I thought that was funny?" Hence their emphasis on the "Men 18-24" demos. Only problem with them crowing about a 4.0+ in Men 18-24 is Howard used to get 6.0+ in 12+ overall and double figures in the male demos. They have an small audience; they should stay with that and quit the delusional thoughts of ever "dethroning the king" cause it's fuckin' embarrassing them every time the quarterly books come out.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #149
gilpdawg
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 19, 2004
Location: New Paris, OH
Posts: 830
gilpdawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
No, you said that "over half their show is not regulated by the FCC." If they are not on the air, then there is no show to be unregulated. But you knew that. The original poster was correct when he said over half their show was regulated.

As far as the ratings are concerned, ratings are ratings and saying that the people who liked them already listen to them on XM means they have a limited audience and are not able to extend their reach outside of that. In the radio business, that will never get them to the holy grail they claim they are after - Howard numbers. They are a niche show that appeals to cringe type humor that at it's source is cruel and abusive, with none of the underlying feeling and heart that Howard had/has with his fans. Just like frat boy humor, it gets old after a while and pretty soon their fans look back and say "Man, I thought that was funny?" Hence their emphasis on the "Men 18-24" demos. Only problem with them crowing about a 4.0+ in Men 18-24 is Howard used to get 6.0+ in 12+ overall and double figures in the male demos. They have an small audience; they should stay with that and quit the delusional thoughts of ever "dethroning the king" cause it's fuckin' embarrassing them every time the quarterly books come out.
Nobody will ever touch Howard in his hey-day numbers again. Ever. Too much out there now, with Ipods and Internet Radio and 500 channels of cable TV and the information overload that's out there now. Doesn't mean O&A aren't a success, love em or hate em. Sure, they ain't Howard, but nobody will ever pull that kind of audience again. Hell, the number one show in NYC is a friggin Spanish language show! That alone should tell you how times have changed.
gilpdawg is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #150
loadfet17
Sirius Star
 
loadfet17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,256
loadfet17 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg
Nobody will ever touch Howard in his hey-day numbers again. Ever. Too much out there now, with Ipods and Internet Radio and 500 channels of cable TV and the information overload that's out there now. Doesn't mean O&A aren't a success, love em or hate em. Sure, they ain't Howard, but nobody will ever pull that kind of audience again. Hell, the number one show in NYC is a friggin Spanish language show! That alone should tell you how times have changed.
Looks like we got another one boys.........He nailed the "too much alternate competition" and "change in demographics". So you meant to tell me that the MAJORITY of people in the key demos that used to listen to Howard decided to quit listening to the radio virtually OVERNIGHT?! Hmmm, wonder why that happened.
__________________
Friday and Saturday nights, I'll probably be at:

www.williamsgrove.com

or

www.newegyptspeedway.net
loadfet17 is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liddy's visit to Stern Show was great SpringSternFan Howard Stern 16 02-26-2007 10:45 PM
howard channels mandatory homophobic rules planetahead Howard Stern 23 02-18-2006 10:25 AM
Bubba the Love Sponge on the same time as Jay Thomas? FAFASTERN SIRIUS News, Talk, Entertainment & Traffic 5 01-08-2006 10:49 AM
Howard Stern's call to FCC Chairman Michael Powell mutant SIRIUS News, Talk, Entertainment & Traffic 4 10-30-2004 01:57 AM
Howard Answers / Sirius MRB SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 17 10-24-2004 03:49 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.