Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Howard Stern Come here to discuss anything about his show or his two channels.
Please Note: You must request access to post in the Howard Stern Forum. Read more here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #151
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O & A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg
Nobody will ever touch Howard in his hey-day numbers again. Ever. Too much out there now, with Ipods and Internet Radio and 500 channels of cable TV and the information overload that's out there now. Doesn't mean O&A aren't a success, love em or hate em. Sure, they ain't Howard, but nobody will ever pull that kind of audience again. Hell, the number one show in NYC is a friggin Spanish language show! That alone should tell you how times have changed.
Yeah, cause the iPod, internet radio, cable TV and the entire Spanish population of NYC just magically appeared on 1/9/2006, right after Howard Stern pulled a 6.0+ in his last ever ratings book. What a load of horseshit you guys spout. The fact is, ratings are still a percentage of the listeners, not a count and O&A are scoring a whopping 2.8% in their own hometown, one year after claiming they were going to get "all Howard's listeners". It doesn't matter if you have 6 million possible listeners or 600, if you can only get 2.8 percent of them, you are not successful, period (<-make that an exclamation point if you repeatedly claim how much better you are than the guy who got 6.0%+).
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #152
gilpdawg
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 19, 2004
Location: New Paris, OH
Posts: 830
gilpdawg is on a distinguished road
Default

That's not my point dumbass. I meant Howard in his heyday. Look up the numbers. Even in the last few years Howard was with Infinity, his numbers were trending downward. But I don't expect any less from you guys than to rip my valid point to shreds, because you just can't present facts in this section.
gilpdawg is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #153
TheScionicMan
Sirius Star
 
TheScionicMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2006
Location: In the Hot Tub
Posts: 8,433
TheScionicMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheScionicMan has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadfet17
So you mean to tell me that the MAJORITY of people in the key demos that used to listen to Howard decided to quit listening to the radio virtually OVERNIGHT?! Hmmm, wonder why that happened.
I think they got tired of English-language radio and switched to the Spanish stations...
__________________
--------------------------------

LUABASI
TheScionicMan is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #154
goreds2
Sirius Star
 
goreds2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2005
Location: XM Country
Posts: 2,056
goreds2 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg
That's not my point dumbass. I meant Howard in his heyday. Look up the numbers. Even in the last few years Howard was with Infinity, his numbers were trending downward. But I don't expect any less from you guys than to rip my valid point to shreds, because you just can't present facts in this section.
I hear ya.

Here's to the Reds in 2007!!
__________________
* On My IGNORE List: Jgatie

** Jgatie quote to me: "Start sticking your pointy little head in where it doesn't belong and I'll get a mod to go all xzi on your ass. That's a promise."

http://www.sirius.com/thevirus

MEL: Please add RADIO MARGARITAVILLE to Best of SIRIUS package.

* Eddie and TRACY Radio Show 3pm-6pm est. on XM173 (WLW)

Two XM MyFi's (One for son / One for me with BEST OF SIRIUS)
One XM Delphi In Home Repeater
One SIRIUS Stratus 4 in Mrs. goreds2 Car
goreds2 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #155
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O &amp; A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpdawg
That's not my point dumbass. I meant Howard in his heyday. Look up the numbers. Even in the last few years Howard was with Infinity, his numbers were trending downward. But I don't expect any less from you guys than to rip my valid point to shreds, because you just can't present facts in this section.
Yeah, in NYC he trended downward from (all numbers are overall) #1 to . . . uhhhh . . . #1. In Boston he trended downward from #1 or 2 to . . . uhhhh . . . #1 or 2. In LA he trended downward from #1 to . . . uhhhh . . . #1. In Philly he trended downward from #1 to . . . uhhhh . . . #1. Just because his percentages were going down, he still claimed a #1 or #2 in the markets he dominated for years. His share of the market may have been going down, but he still got more of it than (almost) anyone else, despite your claims of shifting demos and alternate entertainment (who would have known all Howard's listeners would take a Spanish course after 1/9/2006 ). Your bbboys come blasting on the scene claiming to be able to "get all his listeners" and the very best they can do is a #18 in their hometown. In some markets they are #30+. This isn't due to any shifting demos or alternative markets, it's due to people listening to anywhere from 17 to 30+ stations before they listen to yours and that sucks!

Now, please explain how any of the above is not "facts"?
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #156
Hoffer
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Mar 01, 2004
Posts: 581
Hoffer is on a distinguished road
Default

No Friday show heavily blows. Obviously that's the way things are going to be from here on out. People have complained to no end, and it just rolls off Howard's back. I think him working 4 day weeks will keep him on the air longer. I'd rather have 4 day weeks them him retiring.

All I know is I want some type of LIVE Friday show. Best of sucks balls. The reason the Friday show sucked was because they played clips WE JUST HEARD. Get some comics in there Fridays. John Hein, Ralph and Gary are about as boring as you can get. Mastertape Theater is alright, but I get bored with it after an hour or so.
Hoffer is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #157
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Howard could learn a lesson from O &amp; A
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie

Now, please explain how any of the above is not "facts"?
So now tell me, am I lying?

badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #158
mercury
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Sep 21, 2005
Location: The City
Posts: 1,269
mercury is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer
No Friday show heavily blows. Obviously that's the way things are going to be from here on out. People have complained to no end, and it just rolls off Howard's back. I think him working 4 day weeks will keep him on the air longer. I'd rather have 4 day weeks them him retiring.

All I know is I want some type of LIVE Friday show. Best of sucks balls. The reason the Friday show sucked was because they played clips WE JUST HEARD. Get some comics in there Fridays. John Hein, Ralph and Gary are about as boring as you can get. Mastertape Theater is alright, but I get bored with it after an hour or so.
how about Music..stop crying,pull up your dress and go listen to music.
mercury is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #159
hexonxonx
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 31, 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 384
hexonxonx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaxmidi10
I take offense to this. The reason I am "easily quashed" is because I actually do have a life and cannot afford to spend all of my time on a message board. When you're a student at the United States Military Academy at West Point, like I am, you don't really have much free time to spend on a board such as this one. So please don't ever insult my intelligence. However, feel free to bash my taste in radio shows.
Exactly. It's not worth arguing with Stern Zombies who feel there can be no other talk show hosts who can do anything original because Stern invented breathing and life himself.

O&A are not going off radio anytime soon. They'll be around for a long time an in fact they are being placed on two new FM stations in the next month. There is a website of two guys who have been let go from a station and on their page, they tell their listeners to enjoy Opie and Anthony.

All this talk about O&A being nothing, well it goes both ways, lots of people feel that Stern is now a nothing. As pointed out, the stern effect is over, look at the alexa rankings for stern related sited to find the evidence of that. I was never interested in stern to begin with. When he was on a station here in Denver years ago, i never listened though I loved the station he was on. I was happy when they took him off partly due to his remarks about Columbine and not one person here ever missed him. I knew noone who ever listened to him when he was on here. I don't spend hours on the net, I have a life, a job, a home and a boyfriend (I'm a girl). Just came back to point out a few things, I had no idea I was even refered to in a reply here because I never remember where I even posted half the time and because it's not worth responding to people who chances are, never bothered to hear O&A to begin with. They are called stern zombies for a reason.
hexonxonx is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #160
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O &amp; A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
Just came back to point out a few things, I had no idea I was even refered to in a reply here because I never remember where I even posted half the time and because it's not worth responding to people who chances are, never bothered to hear O&A to begin with. They are called stern zombies for a reason.
I've listened to O&A back when they were on WBCN and WNEW. I've tried to listen to them since. They aren't any good, which their ratings reflect. What is surprising is why someone who writes this
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
I was never interested in stern to begin with. When he was on a station here in Denver years ago, i never listened though I loved the station he was on. I was happy when they took him off partly due to his remarks about Columbine and not one person here ever missed him. I knew noone who ever listened to him when he was on here
actually bothers to post in a Stern group in the first place. You won't see me on an XM or O&A group posting about Stern because I actually do have a life. I mean, come on! You are posting on a Sirius site in a Stern group, yet you don't listen to Stern or are even interested in Stern and then you accuse us of being zombies and not having a life?

Last edited by Jgatie; 12-21-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #161
hexonxonx
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 31, 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 384
hexonxonx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
I've listened to O&A back when they were on WBCN and WNEW. I've tried to listen to them since. They aren't any good, which their ratings reflect. What is surprising is why someone who writes this actually bothers to post in a Stern group in the first place. You won't see me on an XM on O&A group posting about Stern because I actually do have a life. I mean, come on! You are posting on a Sirius site in a Stern group, yet you don't listen to Stern or are even interested in Stern and then you accuse us of being zombies and not having a life?
I post here still because I had Sirius at one time till the three months for the price of one ran out. They gave that to me when I called to cancel early in the summer. I cancelled my sub because Sirius is lacking in the country music channels, people here agree with that.

There are lots of people on the XM boards who on't have Sirius and lots of people here who don't have XM. They are here for the discussions and one day if Sirius ever sees the light about the music channels, I may be a sub again.
hexonxonx is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #162
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O &amp; A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
I post here still because I had Sirius at one time till the three months for the price of one ran out. They gave that to me when I called to cancel early in the summer. I cancelled my sub because Sirius is lacking in the country music channels, people here agree with that.

There are lots of people on the XM boards who on't have Sirius and lots of people here who don't have XM. They are here for the discussions and one day if Sirius ever sees the light about the music channels, I may be a sub again.
So you post about Stern because Sirus' country music stations suck? Uhhh. . . Ok.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #163
hexonxonx
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 31, 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 384
hexonxonx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
So you post about Stern because Sirus' country music stations suck? Uhhh. . . Ok.
I didn't say that. I said I post here for whatever subject interests me. Go back and read it again.
hexonxonx is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #164
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Howard could learn a lesson from O &amp; A
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx
I didn't say that. I said I post here for whatever subject interests me. Go back and read it again.
I thought you said Stern never interested you?
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #165
gilpdawg
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 19, 2004
Location: New Paris, OH
Posts: 830
gilpdawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, jgatie, I know you aren't talking about me, because I've made it known that I listen to both shows, but I do prefer O&A. Now, on your point about ratings being a percentage, nope, that's share. Ratings points are total number of listeners, not share. There's a difference. My point that less people are listening to radio period now than 10 or even 5 years ago still stands. That's why nobody will ever hit those numbers again, because the listeners aren't there. Somebody could theoretically hit those share numbers though.
gilpdawg is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liddy's visit to Stern Show was great SpringSternFan Howard Stern 16 02-26-2007 10:45 PM
howard channels mandatory homophobic rules planetahead Howard Stern 23 02-18-2006 10:25 AM
Bubba the Love Sponge on the same time as Jay Thomas? FAFASTERN SIRIUS News, Talk, Entertainment & Traffic 5 01-08-2006 10:49 AM
Howard Stern's call to FCC Chairman Michael Powell mutant SIRIUS News, Talk, Entertainment & Traffic 4 10-30-2004 01:57 AM
Howard Answers / Sirius MRB SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 17 10-24-2004 03:49 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.