Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Howard Stern Come here to discuss anything about his show or his two channels.
Please Note: You must request access to post in the Howard Stern Forum. Read more here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Sodium
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2006
Posts: 82
Sodium is on a distinguished road
Default Was vacation return earlier than planned?

Most of us weren't expecting a 1/2/07 return. Robin's comment about her last minute flight might have indicated it was a hasty decision. Anyone think Howard wanted to avoid fan backlash about excessive vacations and just come back a week early?

Either way, it was a pleasant surprise to hear him on Monday.

On that note, I wonder how much negative e-mail they get on the subject of their vacations. Based on message board chatter, I'd say that's the number one e-mail driver for them, they just don't discuss it much on the air for obvious reasons.
Sodium is offline  
 
 
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
usiphi203
Sirius Star
Was vacation return earlier than planned?
 
usiphi203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,536
usiphi203 has a spectacular aura aboutusiphi203 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Who knows.
usiphi203 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiphi203
Who knows.
As the owl said while biting the last bit of the Tootsie Pop, "The world may never know".

I think it was hasty. Robin, of all the people on the show seems to be the one who would have a timetable for their return in place. Would she really have a trip planned over seas where she would be coming back the day before a two week layoff? Gary mentioned that Mr.X sent a text message to Gary asking about their return date. Why would they ask unless they got some kind of word to come back? The other factor is the Killers of Comedy tour. It's one thing to have a gig in Chicago or Florida or Philly on a Friday, especially when you're not working on Fridays, but unless there's no show this Friday, Richardandsal are going to have to get on a plane in a real hurry to get to California that Friday night. It's not impossible, it can be done, but I have the feeling that gig was set up with the idea of them having the WHOLE day off.

I think Howard felt the tap, not so much of the fans directly, but of the fingers of the people who hold his paycheck.

All speculative of course, but isn't that just the way of the show these past few years?
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
albanysternfan
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2006
Posts: 361
albanysternfan is on a distinguished road
Default

I've got to believe these vacations dates are set up before hand the ad for best of 2006 did say 2 weeks but when i heard about top 10 shows of 1006 being on 1/7 i assumed they would be back 1/8 why can't they just tell us before when the last live show is & when they will return.
albanysternfan is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
djhavoc
Mixologist
 
djhavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 323
djhavoc is on a distinguished road
Default

I think it was not planned but since Howard did the appearances to sell radios I think it was a business decision to return on the 2nd and give the new subs. fresh live new shows.
__________________
dj havoc aka dj cesar perez
chicago. il. usa.
djhavoc is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Jgatie
Sirius Star
Was vacation return earlier than planned?
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 04, 2006
Location: Mass
Posts: 5,283
Jgatie has a spectacular aura aboutJgatie has a spectacular aura about
Default

So now, after bitching for 2 plus weeks about how he'll take till the 8th, 9th or 16th(!!??) to get back; turns out everybody got what they wanted with a return on the 2nd. However, happy though we are, we still get to bitch about it not being a planned return? And we get to combine that with bitching about no show on Friday even though the entire crew is flying to Florida for Bubba's wedding?

Holy shit, you people are F'in brutal.
Jgatie is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
wwfmike
Mixologist
 
wwfmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 15, 2005
Posts: 280
wwfmike is on a distinguished road
Default

Before they left for the winter break, Artie was talking with Benjy about the fucking weight loss challenge and commented that he would have the answer on the 2nd. The only reason they were a week late last year was because they were building the studio.

Sometimes the truth isn't enough for some people...
wwfmike is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
jam master jay
Mixologist
 
jam master jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 25, 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 425
jam master jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I don't think the vacation was earlier than planned - I would like to think that Howard actually has listened to all the fan complaints about vacations and Fridays off. But, when you see him still taking Friday off after a 3 day week, it is obvious he doesn't care at all what the fans are saying or thinking.
jam master jay is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
MachineHead
Rocket Scientist
 
MachineHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 28, 2005
Posts: 762
MachineHead is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwfmike
Before they left for the winter break, Artie was talking with Benjy about the fucking weight loss challenge and commented that he would have the answer on the 2nd. The only reason they were a week late last year was because they were building the studio.

Sometimes the truth isn't enough for some people...
Actually you're wrong, they decided to start the 9th because supposedly a lot of people take vacation the week after new years and they wanted the biggest audience possible for the first week.

The studio had been done for about 2 weeks and they were doing the live on-air tests before 1/9/06.
MachineHead is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgatie
So now, after bitching for 2 plus weeks about how he'll take till the 8th, 9th or 16th(!!??) to get back; turns out everybody got what they wanted with a return on the 2nd. However, happy though we are, we still get to bitch about it not being a planned return? And we get to combine that with bitching about no show on Friday even though the entire crew is flying to Florida for Bubba's wedding?

Holy shit, you people are F'in brutal.
Jgatie...stay with me on this...I ain't bitching and I can't speak for any of the others in here, I'm putting out an opinion or a theory. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter a trifle. It just appears to me that Robin seemed completely caught off gaurd with the first show of the season. Now there isn't going to be a show on Friday. Did they really come back to start fresh with a three day working week after being off for two weeks?

We're all fans here, no one bigger than any other. Don't let these opinions get to you. I just wish there were more opportunites to hear live shows. I think deep down you feel the same, no?
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
WayneEdwards
Sirius Star
Was vacation return earlier than planned?
 
WayneEdwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2006
Posts: 1,506
WayneEdwards is on a distinguished road
Default

Any fellow-geezers out there might remember that Johnny Carson at the height of his career in the 80's cut back to four days a week and then three. People kidded him about it but nobody was pissed. I think that might have had to do with the fact that he took off the beginning of the week, not Friday. After a stressful work-week, people are ready for some good entertainment when the weekend is starting. Remember Howard's mocking the zoo-type morning shows ("Hey, It's Friday... Woo hoo!" ... bells & whistles, etc.).

In any event, I doubt they would have been able to book both Dennis Rodman and Fifty Cent with only one day's notice. Great interviews, by the way. I ain't complaining and I'm glad the Stern gang is back!
WayneEdwards is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
packie juppet
Sirius Star
 
packie juppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2006
Posts: 3,919
packie juppet will become famous soon enoughpackie juppet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneEdwards
Any fellow-geezers out there might remember that Johnny Carson at the height of his career in the 80's cut back to four days a week and then three. People kidded him about it but nobody was pissed. I think that might have had to do with the fact that he took off the beginning of the week, not Friday. After a stressful work-week, people are ready for some good entertainment when the weekend is starting. Remember Howard's mocking the zoo-type morning shows ("Hey, It's Friday... Woo hoo!" ... bells & whistles, etc.).

In any event, I doubt they would have been able to book both Dennis Rodman and Fifty Cent with only one day's notice. Great interviews, by the way. I ain't complaining and I'm glad the Stern gang is back!
I think part of the reason(beyond having to pay to hear him now) is that Howard would rail on Johnny for years about being lazy for only working a four day week. At the time I wasn't a big Johnny fan, so I didn't care if he took time off or not, but I LOVED the fact that someone(Howard) called him out for it. Howard seemed like a common man who would deflate celebs for being full of shit. I enjoyed hearing him take apart Carson and his work week. Cut to almost twenty years later and Howard is changing into the very thing he railed against in his younger years.

I don't have any problem with Howard taking off Fridays or even taking long vacations. However, I do wish at some point he would at least cut back on his hyperbolic statements of being a "type A personality" or that he's excited about a "Phase 2" or a "Radio Revolution".

Has the 'Revolution' extended their commercial break time?
packie juppet is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
WayneEdwards
Sirius Star
Was vacation return earlier than planned?
 
WayneEdwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2006
Posts: 1,506
WayneEdwards is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packie juppet
Has the 'Revolution' extended their commercial break time?
I think you're right about the commercials (thanks, Mel). There's no way those breaks are six minutes, even taking into account they may carry over from a previous hour. And that sucks.
WayneEdwards is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
beaniemac
Sirius Star
 
beaniemac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Location: Chicago (South Side)
Posts: 1,726
beaniemac will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to beaniemac
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneEdwards
Any fellow-geezers out there might remember that Johnny Carson at the height of his career in the 80's cut back to four days a week and then three. People kidded him about it but nobody was pissed. I think that might have had to do with the fact that he took off the beginning of the week, not Friday. After a stressful work-week, people are ready for some good entertainment when the weekend is starting. Remember Howard's mocking the zoo-type morning shows ("Hey, It's Friday... Woo hoo!" ... bells & whistles, etc.).



In any event, I doubt they would have been able to book both Dennis Rodman and Fifty Cent with only one day's notice. Great interviews, by the way. I ain't complaining and I'm glad the Stern gang is back!
I remember this. I was in jr high school during the end of johnny's run, but I used to always watch it. As i recall, jay leno always worked every monday for johnny and he also did 1 full week of the month as well.

lucky for me, my work schedule gives me a half day every friday so i don't feel "cheated" when they are not on, given that I'm not gonna work a full friday either. of course, I only have 3 weeks of vacation a year (of which I only took one week), and I have only missed one day due to illness in total, so I'm definitely no where near howard's level of absenteeism.
beaniemac is offline  
 
 
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
ProperModulation
Top Dog Member
Was vacation return earlier than planned?
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
ProperModulation has a spectacular aura aboutProperModulation has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneEdwards
I think you're right about the commercials (thanks, Mel). There's no way those breaks are six minutes, even taking into account they may carry over from a previous hour. And that sucks.
commercial breaks all come in under 10 minutes just like they always have. I listen on my ipod and use the timer to help skip past the commercials and I see that the first two breaks come in around 10 min while the breaks later in the show are a little shorter. it's been this way since just about day 1 on Sirius. claims of 6 min of commercials an hour are probably averaged over the whole show since they typically take over an hour between commercial breaks.
ProperModulation is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRING BACK SIRIUS VACATION COMPLAINT FORM Scatman SIRIUS Music 16 06-10-2006 06:37 PM
BRING BACK SIRIUS VACATION!! Scatman SIRIUS Music 10 05-07-2006 02:48 AM
BRING BACK SIRIUS VACATION Scatman SIRIUS Jazz & Blues, Standards, Classical, Latin & Int'l 1 04-25-2006 06:57 PM
Dish Network dropping Vacation, Adding Margaritaville Scott Greczkowski SIRIUS Music 1 06-15-2005 02:20 PM
Vacation to giveaway Vacation! SISO SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 0 11-22-2004 06:23 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.