Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Insiders Blog Stay informed on the latest happenings in satellite radio. With news, events, products and reviews, we bring you the highlights of the SIRIUS Universe and beyond.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Manco
Top Dog Member
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Manco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,450
Manco will become famous soon enoughManco will become famous soon enough
Default Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!

RBC Capital analyst David Bank has told clients to expect a decision from the Department of Justice within 30 days and that the deal is more<img src="http://stocks.us.reuters.com/lib/charts/basic.asp?cht=price&amp;symbol=US%3BSIRI&amp;days= 1&amp;width=172&amp;height=127" align="right" /> likely to receive their approval than not. This isn't the final decision as the FCC will also need to rule, but given the announcement of tiered pricing plans which the current FCC chairman favors, it is unlikely they will vote contrary to the DOJ's decision.

The Stock is reacting positively to this breaking news:
Manco is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

There's been a LOT of insider trading going on this week.
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Manco
Top Dog Member
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Manco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,450
Manco will become famous soon enoughManco will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker View Post
There's been a LOT of insider trading going on this week.
Yes, two XMSR directors have purchased over $3.5M worth of XMSR between the two of them.
Manco is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

Gonna be interesting to watch the stocks if/when this merger goes through. For years now the market has been keeping its distance from both of them. I'll be curious to see if there's a big, sustained jump or if the market still stays back and waits for profitability.
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Fergz99
Sirius Star
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Join Date: Feb 24, 2005
Posts: 2,000
Fergz99 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker View Post
Gonna be interesting to watch the stocks if/when this merger goes through. For years now the market has been keeping its distance from both of them. I'll be curious to see if there's a big, sustained jump or if the market still stays back and waits for profitability.
Yep the stock will go up and the level of service will go down and the subs will be the ones that get fucked.
Fergz99 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
mercury
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Sep 21, 2005
Location: The City
Posts: 1,269
mercury is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergz99 View Post
Yep the stock will go up and the level of service will go down and the subs will be the ones that get fucked.

since your predicting the future can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers!
mercury is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Serious_Sirius
Mixologist
 
Serious_Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 314
Serious_Sirius is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergz99 View Post
Yep the stock will go up and the level of service will go down and the subs will be the ones that get fucked.
The way you're always trashing Sirius, one would think that the level of service can't get any worse. So what's to lose?

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. Your proclamation is meaningless.

If the NAB thought a merger would actually make things worse, they would be SUPPORTING it, instead of spending millions of dollars and thousands of manhours trying to defeat it.

Sirius/XM management, the NAB, a former chairman of the FCC, and the significant majority of Siri/XM subscribers who've studied the issue---are all convinced the merger is a good and mutually beneficial thing. And I agree with them.

By virtually all indications, the DOJ and FCC will make their decisions this year. They're moving surprisingly fast for government entities. Sometimes these types of decisions can take a couple years or more to be decided.
__________________
Stiletto/Altec Lansing FX4021 PC Speaker System/Soloist/Lifetime Sub

Serious_Sirius is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
tgajr
Rocket Scientist
 
tgajr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 21, 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 516
tgajr is on a distinguished road
Post Git er done!!!!

That said, lets look into the future. Stock is going up, good news about the merger. I hope it goes through. I am excited to try some XM stuff.
__________________
TGAJR
Lifetime Subscriber - Listening for free since 6/1/08
tgajr is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Fergz99
Sirius Star
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Join Date: Feb 24, 2005
Posts: 2,000
Fergz99 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Sirius View Post
The way you're always trashing Sirius, one would think that the level of service can't get any worse. So what's to lose?

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. Your proclamation is meaningless.

If the NAB thought a merger would actually make things worse, they would be SUPPORTING it, instead of spending millions of dollars and thousands of manhours trying to defeat it.

Sirius/XM management, the NAB, a former chairman of the FCC, and the significant majority of Siri/XM subscribers who've studied the issue---are all convinced the merger is a good and mutually beneficial thing. And I agree with them.

By virtually all indications, the DOJ and FCC will make their decisions this year. They're moving surprisingly fast for government entities. Sometimes these types of decisions can take a couple years or more to be decided.
So tell me oh Mr Informed one what is so good ?

They aren't combining the bandwidth and the two current sets of radios can't receive the other signal. The ala carte options that they have released do not give you a chance to pick and chose between the two services.

Give me details on what is so great and how I as a dual sub will benefit from this merger Go ahead and convince me.
Fergz99 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Manco
Top Dog Member
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Manco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,450
Manco will become famous soon enoughManco will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergz99 View Post
So tell me oh Mr Informed one what is so good ?

They aren't combining the bandwidth and the two current sets of radios can't receive the other signal. The ala carte options that they have released do not give you a chance to pick and chose between the two services.

Give me details on what is so great and how I as a dual sub will benefit from this merger Go ahead and convince me.
In the long term, radios WILL receive both signals, opening up the option to select from a much larger pool of programming. This merger is for the long term. Short term, we will probably not see much changes until they roll out ala carte, but even then we will still have much more innovation to come as a result of the merger.

I fully expect there to be changes, and change isn't always good, but I think for the long run we will see innovative hardware and much more programming selection for the money.
Manco is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Fergz99
Sirius Star
Merger Decision Expected Within 30 Days!
 
Join Date: Feb 24, 2005
Posts: 2,000
Fergz99 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manco View Post
In the long term, radios WILL receive both signals, opening up the option to select from a much larger pool of programming. This merger is for the long term. Short term, we will probably not see much changes until they roll out ala carte, but even then we will still have much more innovation to come as a result of the merger.

I fully expect there to be changes, and change isn't always good, but I think for the long run we will see innovative hardware and much more programming selection for the money.
Exactly. There is no immediate benefit, but boy if you just wait 5-10 years THEN it will be worth it. Not buying it. There is nothing that is better for the subs.

I already get the best that both services have to offer and they aren't giving me any option to get all of the same channels I do now at a reduce price then what's the point ? So Mel, Howard, and the board members can cash in their stock at higher prices ? No thanks. Leave the services as they are.
Fergz99 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default

If this passes than our government has failed us (again).

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion.
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
obk
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Oct 16, 2006
Posts: 500
obk is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO View Post
If this passes than our government has failed us (again).

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion.
I only get sirius, and after the merger i would get the same service for the same price, how have I been harmed by the government? and people that want what I have plus a few xm stations can get that for less than paying the price of both.. it don't sound too bad.
obk is offline  
 
 
Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
Sagebrush
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2006
Posts: 55
Sagebrush is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO View Post
If this passes than our government has failed us (again).
Amen Brother!
Sagebrush is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
coolman
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2006
Posts: 135
coolman is on a distinguished road
Default

I still say no, because I won't get any MLB games on the sportster or anything, and i'm not buying a new radio. And programming will go down on music channels, wait and see.
coolman is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SIRIUS and XM Expected to Announce Merger Today? RyanM SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 28 02-19-2007 02:05 PM
Sound quality not what I expected. aaronjnsn Radios & Receivers 10 01-02-2007 07:22 PM
When is Tom Rock expected back on the air? headbangerharry SIRIUS Rock 0 03-01-2006 01:28 PM
When are the 3G PNPs expected. filovirus SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 1 01-10-2005 07:17 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.