Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Insiders Blog Stay informed on the latest happenings in satellite radio. With news, events, products and reviews, we bring you the highlights of the SIRIUS Universe and beyond.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #91
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Satellite Radio to Launch 'E Street Radio'
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

I have a sister that has been a Sirius subscriber since I turned her on to it about 2 years ago. Today, she stopped by to see me at the office. She said before Nov 1, I want that Sirius equipment OUT of my car, cause I am cancelling. I was like why? She said the Bridge is being taken over to play Bruce Springsteen. (She reads the forum, so I that is where she got her info) She checked out my little RoadyXT and is planning to buy one this weekend. I tried to convince her to keep both, but she said NO.

These decisions to take over channels with this nonsense is stupid and once again just pisses off subscribers. I feel if they keep pulling this crap we are going to see churn start easing up higher. My sister is so easy going so for her to take a stand, she's had enough. I disagree canceling for one channel, but everyone is different.

Needless to say Saturday I will be installing a RoadyXT in her car with a home kit for home. She already called Sirius tonight and cancelled.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM   #92
AZJoe
Top Dog Member
 
AZJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 29, 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona / Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3,720
AZJoe will become famous soon enoughAZJoe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AZJoe Send a message via MSN to AZJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AZJoe
Default

DAB, same thing with my sister- The Bridge is her fav channel- and why should she put up with 3 months without it? I too tried to talk her out of it, but she says,eet Channel without removing a popular channel such as the Bridge. HUGE mistake!!
__________________
SIRIUS Satellite Radio to Launch 'E Street Radio'
AZJoe is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #93
seahawks80
Rocket Scientist
SIRIUS Satellite Radio to Launch 'E Street Radio'
 
Join Date: Dec 28, 2003
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 908
seahawks80 will become famous soon enough
Default

Like all of the programming moves on Sirius, some people will love it and some people will hate it. However, replacing multi-artist stations with single-artist stations is becoming a bit of a troubling trend. You're taking a broad-artist station that can appeal to many and replacing it with a single-artist station that will be much more divisive.

The promotional aspect must make these worthwhile for Sirius. Getting their name out in front of Graceland visitors, Stones concert-goers, or Springsteen fans (potential Sirius insert in the box set?... potential mention of Sirius on Springsteen's website?) puts their name out in front of millions of people. This wide exposure must outweigh the potential cancellations in their business model.
seahawks80 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #94
petteri
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33317
Posts: 340
petteri is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to petteri
Default

If Sirius plans on have a single artist themed stations then perhaps its time for them to copy XM and have a special events channel. I don't thenk any channel should be pre-empted like this. I love Bruce, but I also like The Bridge. I'm missing "The Globe" right now. So that's two channels that are "gone" from the Sirius line-up just like that. Bandwidth constraints are just killing what Sirius want to do along programming lines. The 60 odd stations just aren't enough to cover the vast amout of music out there and do it right!
__________________
Peter
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA


petteri is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #95
BRH
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 17, 2003
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 684
BRH is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
I have a sister that has been a Sirius subscriber since I turned her on to it about 2 years ago. Today, she stopped by to see me at the office. She said before Nov 1, I want that Sirius equipment OUT of my car, cause I am cancelling. I was like why? She said the Bridge is being taken over to play Bruce Springsteen. (She reads the forum, so I that is where she got her info) She checked out my little RoadyXT and is planning to buy one this weekend. I tried to convince her to keep both, but she said NO.

These decisions to take over channels with this nonsense is stupid and once again just pisses off subscribers. I feel if they keep pulling this crap we are going to see churn start easing up higher. My sister is so easy going so for her to take a stand, she's had enough. I disagree canceling for one channel, but everyone is different.

Needless to say Saturday I will be installing a RoadyXT in her car with a home kit for home. She already called Sirius tonight and cancelled.
Sorry to see a subscriber gone, but I can understand. Replacing "the Bridge", which almost everyone seems to like, is just a ridiculus move by Sirius. I don't agree with one artist stations at all, but if they have to do it, then why not replace the Stones channel with this one? I wouldn't be opposed to a one artist feature channel that rotates every month or so and has it's own exclusive channel. But replacing a very popular channel in the pop section for this is absurd. I sent an e-mail to Sirius and also called and left a message telling them that I was not pleased and I wholeheartedly encourage others to do the same. As I stated earlier, I'd much rather pay a higher subscription rate than to constantly have the channels "whored" out to the highest bidder for promotional uses.
As far as switching to XM goes; I already have both, and I still prefer Sirius by far, but decisions like this ARE driving subscribers away. I'm kinda curious as to what channel your sister might like on XM as a substitution for "the Bridge" on Sirius. I'm afraid she may be very dissapointed because there really is nothing comparable on XM. Stations like "the Loft", "XM Cafe", and "Hear Music" might be in the same vein, but they are all much much deeper and obscure and hard to listen to. Unless she likes really obscure unknown stuff, I doubt she will find any of those to be a good replacement for "the Bridge". The best thing I could reccomend on XM that she might like would be "the Blend". It's more of a variety hits/AC format, and is different than "the Bridge", but is a good channel with a lot of variety. But you might warn her about how obscure many of XM's channels are.
BRH is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #96
jojojo
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jun 13, 2005
Posts: 33
jojojo is on a distinguished road
Default

Personnally I would think they would do better with a Jersy Shore channel!! There are a whole boat load of Bruce Springstein contemporaie that would make this a great channel
jojojo is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #97
msanthrope
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Dec 07, 2004
Posts: 209
msanthrope is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH
As far as switching to XM goes; I already have both, and I still prefer Sirius by far, but decisions like this ARE driving subscribers away. I'm kinda curious as to what channel your sister might like on XM as a substitution for "the Bridge" on Sirius. I'm afraid she may be very dissapointed because there really is nothing comparable on XM. Stations like "the Loft", "XM Cafe", and "Hear Music" might be in the same vein, but they are all much much deeper and obscure and hard to listen to.
I hate the Bridge, but from the few times I've listened, I think the Heart and the '70s would probably be good subsititutes. XM Cafe is not that obscure - it plays many of the same artists as the Bridge (perhaps more contemporary ones), but they will play four or five cuts from an album as opposed to the #1 top hit. The problem (well, ones of the problems) with replacing The Bridge with a Bruce channel is that the music is not even remotely the same. If Bruce replaced a classic rock channel, at least the fans of the channel would probably be fans of Bruce. If somebody's top reason for getting Sirius is The Bridge, they are probably not huge fans of Bruce, or at least be as enthusiastic about an All Bruce channel as a classic rock fan would be.
msanthrope is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #98
OnyxAZ
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 131
OnyxAZ is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardy123
I have a friend who was undecided about Stern.

The second I told him about Springsteen he said he wants to get Sirius before Nov 1.

This is one of those moves where no one will cancel their subscription because of it but will definitely add some new subscriptions.
You wanna bet? I know several people canceling because of this.
OnyxAZ is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #99
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardy123
I have a friend who was undecided about Stern.

The second I told him about Springsteen he said he wants to get Sirius before Nov 1.

This is one of those moves where no one will cancel their subscription because of it but will definitely add some new subscriptions.
You wanna bet? I know several people canceling because of this.
They do know it's only 3 months don't they?

While some may cancel even though it is only 3 months, it would be bad to see people leave because they think it is going away forever.
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #100
msanthrope
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Dec 07, 2004
Posts: 209
msanthrope is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO
While some may cancel even though it is only 3 months, it would be bad to see people leave because they think it is going away forever.
Well, since the Rolling Stones have taken over The Globe well past time they were supposed to be gone (with no end in sight), thinking The Bridge going away for a long, long time isn't exactly an unreasonable conclusion.
msanthrope is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #101
dhardy123
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Nov 14, 2003
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 135
dhardy123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dhardy123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardy123
I have a friend who was undecided about Stern.

The second I told him about Springsteen he said he wants to get Sirius before Nov 1.

This is one of those moves where no one will cancel their subscription because of it but will definitely add some new subscriptions.
You wanna bet? I know several people canceling because of this.
I guess I jsut cant understand the mentality of someone who would cancel their entire subscription over the change to 1 stream for 3 months....I have "The Bridge" as one of my presets but if I dont listen to it for 3 months it isnt that big of a deal...I have many many other choices...
dhardy123 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #102
jtaccone
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 19
jtaccone is on a distinguished road
Default the Bridge is beeing DELEATED FOR BRUICE SPRINGSTEEN

HOW ABOUT
THIS WE LOOSE THE BRIDGE TO BUICE SPRINGSTEEN
jtaccone is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #103
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default

What?
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #104
v1ru5
Sirius Star
 
v1ru5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2005
Location: Staten Island,NY
Posts: 2,732
v1ru5 is on a distinguished road
Default SIRIUS Satellite Radio to Launch 'E Street Radio'

v1ru5 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #105
Evil_Ernie
Top Dog Member
 
Join Date: Nov 12, 2003
Location: Hell
Posts: 2,236
Evil_Ernie will become famous soon enoughEvil_Ernie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: the Bridge is beeing DELEATED FOR BRUICE SPRINGSTEEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaccone
HOW ABOUT
THIS WE LOOSE THE BRIDGE TO BUICE SPRINGSTEEN
Remember kids...alcohol and the Internet do not mix.
Evil_Ernie is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.