Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Insiders Blog Stay informed on the latest happenings in satellite radio. With news, events, products and reviews, we bring you the highlights of the SIRIUS Universe and beyond.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Manco
Top Dog Member
Goodbye Fox News, Welcome CNN Headline News
 
Manco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 29, 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,450
Manco will become famous soon enoughManco will become famous soon enough
Default Goodbye Fox News, Welcome CNN Headline News


Well, It's official, the contract with Fox News was not Renewed. CNN Headline News Takes it's Place on Channel 133. This is no doubt a dissappointing development for many that preferred the content on Fox News.

See the previous posts on this topic Here

and

Here
Manco is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
satradfan
Top Dog Member
 
Join Date: Aug 30, 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,392
satradfan is on a distinguished road
Default

Goodbye Bill O'Reilly....hello Nancy Grace?!?!?


satradfan is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
zaj
Mixologist
Goodbye Fox News, Welcome CNN Headline News
 
zaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2004
Posts: 279
zaj is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm pretty shocked. I really thought they would work this out. Very, very unfortunate.
zaj is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
yg17
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Nov 20, 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO (Rolla, MO for college)
Posts: 684
yg17 is on a distinguished road
Default

Bye bye Fox. We'll miss you and your "fair and balanced" news!
__________________
2008 VW GTI
OEM Headunit and Sirius tuner
yg17 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
leb50
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 51
leb50 is on a distinguished road
Default Sirius dropped Fox News

I have just discovered this new turn of events. Accordingly, I will be cancelling my subscription to Sirius and expanding my subscription to XM Radio. Does anyone know what was behind this decision. As a shareholder I am not at all pleased. Fox news was the only reason I got my Sirius subscription several summers ago. Without it, there is no reason for me to stay here since I like the programming better on XM. Why was this decision made?
leb50 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
jmcn72
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Nov 26, 2004
Posts: 264
jmcn72 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sirius dropped Fox News

Quote:
Originally Posted by leb50
I have just discovered this new turn of events. Accordingly, I will be cancelling my subscription to Sirius and expanding my subscription to XM Radio. Does anyone know what was behind this decision. As a shareholder I am not at all pleased. Fox news was the only reason I got my Sirius subscription several summers ago. Without it, there is no reason for me to stay here since I like the programming better on XM. Why was this decision made?
Wow 3 total posts over those "several" summers. Not a big loss... Adios!
jmcn72 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
leb50
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 51
leb50 is on a distinguished road
Default

What does the number of posts on this forum have to do with being a subscriber to Sirius radio. What is your point?
leb50 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
soxnationonline
Top Dog Member
 
soxnationonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Chi town
Posts: 3,992
soxnationonline will become famous soon enoughsoxnationonline will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sirius dropped Fox News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcn72
Quote:
Originally Posted by leb50
I have just discovered this new turn of events. Accordingly, I will be cancelling my subscription to Sirius and expanding my subscription to XM Radio. Does anyone know what was behind this decision. As a shareholder I am not at all pleased. Fox news was the only reason I got my Sirius subscription several summers ago. Without it, there is no reason for me to stay here since I like the programming better on XM. Why was this decision made?
Wow 3 total posts over those "several" summers. Not a big loss... Adios!
gotta love the stern fans who recently came over... they bring so much to the board.... sorry to all the fox news fans. Everyone gets satellite radio for different reasons and its gotta suck when the reason you got it goes away.
soxnationonline is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
leb50
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 51
leb50 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks, Sox, I am glad someone got the point. I actually like XM better with respect to the music but I have kept my two Sirius subscriptions because I already have it and the equipment. Now what is the point? My main reason for listening is the Fox news. When it comes to the music programming I prefer the XM offerings.

Seems to me, however, that if they can spend millions on Stern they can afford Fox. As a shareholder, I have concerns regarding this move, in any event. My husband likes the college sports so I will likely keep one of my two subscriptions to Sirius and replace the other one with another XM subscription. If it were not for the college sports which he likes, I would definitely drop Sirius altogether.

You are quite correct, however, in your remarks. There is no need for anyone to be rude and I much appreciate your commentary
leb50 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:42 AM   #10
soxnationonline
Top Dog Member
 
soxnationonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Chi town
Posts: 3,992
soxnationonline will become famous soon enoughsoxnationonline will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leb50
Thanks, Sox, I am glad someone got the point. I actually like XM better with respect to the music but I have kept my two Sirius subscriptions because I already have it and the equipment. Now what is the point? My main reason for listening is the Fox news. When it comes to the music programming I prefer the XM offerings.

Seems to me, however, that if they can spend millions on Stern they can afford Fox. As a shareholder, I have concerns regarding this move, in any event. My husband likes the college sports so I will likely keep one of my two subscriptions to Sirius and replace the other one with another XM subscription. If it were not for the college sports which he likes, I would definitely drop Sirius altogether.

You are quite correct, however, in your remarks. There is no need for anyone to be rude and I much appreciate your commentary
no thanx necessary. Lots of people get the point. I felt the same way about xm when they dropped liquid metal off the sats.
soxnationonline is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
leb50
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 51
leb50 is on a distinguished road
Default

Sox,

Whats liquid metal? I am assuming it is a particular type of music. Actually, I just called to drop my Sirius subscription but that department is not open until Tues. The woman I spoke with said they are "still in negotiations" with Fox news. I can't see this as a wise decision given the number of listeners which Fox news has. I am not a Stern fan but if he brings listeners over to Sirius that is fine with me. By the same token, I can't see where dropping Fox is good for business and if Sirus loses revenues, everyone loses in the long run because the costs ultimately get passed down to the consumer.
leb50 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #12
soxnationonline
Top Dog Member
 
soxnationonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Chi town
Posts: 3,992
soxnationonline will become famous soon enoughsoxnationonline will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leb50
Sox,

Whats liquid metal? I am assuming it is a particular type of music. Actually, I just called to drop my Sirius subscription but that department is not open until Tues. The woman I spoke with said they are "still in negotiations" with Fox news. I can't see this as a wise decision given the number of listeners which Fox news has. I am not a Stern fan but if he brings listeners over to Sirius that is fine with me. By the same token, I can't see where dropping Fox is good for business and if Sirus loses revenues, everyone loses in the long run because the costs ultimately get passed down to the consumer.
heavy metal music.

personally I doubt they would still be in negotiations with fox with cnn headline news taking its place. I dont think they would agree to be a temporary fix.

I guess one good thing you could take out of this is its great to live in a democratic society. Its great to have choices. One way or the other you'll get your fox news fix.
soxnationonline is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #13
leb50
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2005
Posts: 51
leb50 is on a distinguished road
Default

On some level, I suppose it makes sense for the two services to distinquish themselves from one another rather than be clones. Although I can't quite put my finger on it, there is a definite difference. It may be that Sirius appeals to a younger and more liberal crowd although issues of music and sports tend to cross over all lines. People like sports regardless of age and same with music. It so happens that I like "elevator" music and only XM has this feature so when I am in the mood for that type of music (which is often), it is XM. I also like classical and they both have good choices here. Sirius has excellent classical.

As a subscriber, Stern leaves me cold but as a stockholder I say more power to him. Even if I were not a stockholder, if he pleases all these people and no one is holding a gun to my head to listen, I say great - bring him on. There are more than enough channels for everyone. Actually, I heard an interview with him and O'Reilly and I must say that Stern was a pretty cool guy. He definitely got the upper hand with O'Reilly. he was cool

Lois
leb50 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #14
joesal905
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 09, 2003
Location: Boothwyn, PA
Posts: 626
joesal905 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to joesal905
Default

It came down to business, and Sirius did not want to have to pay a huge premium for non-exclusive content with Fox News. While it may upset some subs, and force some people to cancel, business is business and we need to move on.
joesal905 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #15
soxnationonline
Top Dog Member
 
soxnationonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Chi town
Posts: 3,992
soxnationonline will become famous soon enoughsoxnationonline will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesal905
It came down to business, and Sirius did not want to have to pay a huge premium for non-exclusive content with Fox News. While it may upset some subs, and force some people to cancel, business is business and we need to move on.
very true.... btw do you have a link to any news articles about sirius having to pay a huge premium? I've seen rumors as high as %200 but I find that a little hard to believe......

thanx.
soxnationonline is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.