Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Install Garage & Help Desk You've got the radio, now which cable goes where? Got questions about factory installed radios in your car? Ask any installation or help questions here and someone will get to you soon.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Default SIRIUS Sportster Replay Radio LCD light DIED

My Boom box's receiver (SIRIUS Sportster Replay Radio) LCD won't light up anymore ,I had the set since 11/13/2004.
I have to use a flashlight to see the screen. Help? :\
It's on a life time subscription.



"S"
V^^^^V
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
rearnold01
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 70
rearnold01 is on a distinguished road
Default

suggestions:

1) buy new unit and transfer LT sub for $75
2) get one of those small "book lights" and hang on boombox
3) forget that you placed unit on top of your car while visiting a friend in the city and report it stolen the next day
4) get it fixed, however, this will cost only a little less than a new unit and transfer costs.
5) get over it.
rearnold01 is offline  
 
 
Old 05-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Default

DORK!



"S"
V^^^^V
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
HomieG
Sirius Star
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 1,431
HomieG is on a distinguished road
Default

If you bought it on a major credit card, most credit card companies double the original warranty. They usually require a copy of the warranty and a copy of the purchase receipt. If you used a credit card, perhaps this is a way to get it repaired or replaced.
HomieG is offline  
 
 
Old 05-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Sportster Replay Radio LCD light DIED
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you happen to get an extended warranty on it when you bought it? If you did then you can do a warranty exchange and SIRIUS will swap the tuner for you with no charge via the Lifetime Plan.

If you don't have a warranty, then you'll have to buy a new tuner and they will more than likely charge you the $75 transfer fee. You can only do the transfer like this 3 times, so you'll be using one of your three.

I would highly suggest on any new purchases that you get at 2 or 4 year extended warranty since you have a Lifetime plan.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 05-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
SiriusChic
Sirius Star
 
SiriusChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 31, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,250
SiriusChic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Again, this was a problem that Sirius had with those Sportsters that were sold in the fall of 2005. Lights, screens and all went or are going on them. New batches made in 2006 on seem to be made best.

Just wondering, the PSN (NOT the ESN) number on the back of your unit, can you give the first four digits (left to right)? This will tell the year and month it was made. The first two digits should be 05 (as most likely it was made in 2005) then......
SiriusChic is offline  
 
 
Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
dhartsoc
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Aug 16, 2004
Location: Des Moines , Iowa
Posts: 370
dhartsoc is on a distinguished road
Default

I think my Sportster Replay is going to suffer display death as well. It replaced my original Sporster when it died after about 14 months. (Best Buy Extended Warranty)

Now after about 8 months I'm seeing the display lighting flickering on and off, so far just in the car not at home. Still am warrantied so not concerned but unhappy with two equipment failures in 2 years. Don't know if it is just terrible QA, or the heat ouput in the units.

Biggest drag is trying to recreated the song seeks laborioiusly collected over many months..
dhartsoc is offline  
 
 
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Default

I did buy it with a charge card,but I paid it off and closed the account.
I purchased the Boom box & plug in at Radio Shack.
And no, I didn't get the extended warranty.



"S"
V^^^^V



Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you happen to get an extended warranty on it when you bought it? If you did then you can do a warranty exchange and SIRIUS will swap the tuner for you with no charge via the Lifetime Plan.

If you don't have a warranty, then you'll have to buy a new tuner and they will more than likely charge you the $75 transfer fee. You can only do the transfer like this 3 times, so you'll be using one of your three.

I would highly suggest on any new purchases that you get at 2 or 4 year extended warranty since you have a Lifetime plan.
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 05-30-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Default

That's how mine started,with the flickering,then it dimmed,then lights out!
If I hit it just right,the light comes back on,I guess on of the contacts are bent for some reason!


"S"
V^^^^V



Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc
I think my Sportster Replay is going to suffer display death as well. It replaced my original Sporster when it died after about 14 months. (Best Buy Extended Warranty)

Now after about 8 months I'm seeing the display lighting flickering on and off, so far just in the car not at home. Still am warrantied so not concerned but unhappy with two equipment failures in 2 years. Don't know if it is just terrible QA, or the heat ouput in the units.

Biggest drag is trying to recreated the song seeks laborioiusly collected over many months..
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 05-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Post

yeppers,05!

>



"S"
V^^^^V


Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusChic
Again, this was a problem that Sirius had with those Sportsters that were sold in the fall of 2005. Lights, screens and all went or are going on them. New batches made in 2006 on seem to be made best.

Just wondering, the PSN (NOT the ESN) number on the back of your unit, can you give the first four digits (left to right)? This will tell the year and month it was made. The first two digits should be 05 (as most likely it was made in 2005) then......
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 05-30-2006, 02:18 AM   #11
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Sportster Replay Radio LCD light DIED
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMPYBITES
I did buy it with a charge card,but I paid it off and closed the account.
I purchased the Boom box & plug in at Radio Shack.
And no, I didn't get the extended warranty.
Unfortunately you may just have to bite the bullet and buy another and do the swap. It is hit or miss on rather they actually charge you the $75 transfer fee. All you can do is ask them nicely to do it without charging you the fee. Make sure on any NEW one you buy that you get the extended warranty. My undertanding is as long as you do an extended warranty tuner exchange they will do the tuner swap without using one of your 3 transfers and there will be no fee. You may want to verify that this isn't for your first/original tuner ONLY though.
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 05-30-2006, 02:26 AM   #12
VAMPYBITES
Just Tuned In
 
VAMPYBITES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 8
VAMPYBITES is on a distinguished road
Post

Thank you for the reply,but yes it is my first original tuner!
I also have the S50,and in the Jeep ( new one year deal thingie,that came with the Jeep.)

Hey it stills play great,just can't SEE,(once in while, LOL.)

"S"
V^^^^V


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Unfortunately you may just have to bite the bullet and buy another and do the swap. It is hit or miss on rather they actually charge you the $75 transfer fee. All you can do is ask them nicely to do it without charging you the fee. Make sure on any NEW one you buy that you get the extended warranty. My undertanding is as long as you do an extended warranty tuner exchange they will do the tuner swap without using one of your 3 transfers and there will be no fee. You may want to verify that this isn't for your first/original tuner ONLY though.
VAMPYBITES is offline  
 
 
Old 06-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
MCWHAMMER
Rocket Scientist
SIRIUS Sportster Replay Radio LCD light DIED
 
MCWHAMMER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 25, 2006
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 533
MCWHAMMER will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Gosh

Gosh, I hope Mine isn't heading in that direction... I got it in the fall last year because I got tired of XM (What a crock).

I have a Sportster Replay and recently got a little too excited about the warm weather in the Southeast U.S., and I set up my boombox outside for awhile... in direct sunlight. So, could sunlight be doing this? Or the sun's heat?

No warranty for me, the setup cost enough as it was, couldn't stand to part with more money - especially if it meant I was making the Best Buy Prez. any more money.

Ho hum.
MCWHAMMER is offline  
 
 
Old 06-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #14
Cartman4
Channel Surfer
 
Cartman4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 55
Cartman4 is on a distinguished road
Default

The main display backlight on my PNP3 is starting to die too. I've had it since Jan 05. If I press on the case in the right spot I can get it to stay on by itself, but it's getting progressively harder to do. Obviously something is loose inside. I'm just hoping I can nurse it along until the new live portable comes out.
Cartman4 is offline  
 
 
Old 06-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
dhartsoc
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Aug 16, 2004
Location: Des Moines , Iowa
Posts: 370
dhartsoc is on a distinguished road
Default

I just replaced my original Sportster Replay with a new one after the display light began failing. This was done under the BB service warranty. The new unit is less than two weeks old and the light of one channel button is already failing intermittently. It was manufactured in April of this year. This is really unacceptable.

Dana
dhartsoc is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.