Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Install Garage & Help Desk You've got the radio, now which cable goes where? Got questions about factory installed radios in your car? Ask any installation or help questions here and someone will get to you soon.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #151
HomieG
Sirius Star
 
HomieG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 06, 2006
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Posts: 1,431
HomieG is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjd
Yesterday it was at about 5:30pm. It's been bad any time all day, but seems to be worse after work (and yesterday was the worst yet).

The antenna is mounted where it always has been: on the roof of my car (Honda Accord), about a foot from the back window.
The reason I asked about the time was that I've found that as the satellites move, I get pretty bad reception 4 or 5 times a year on my commute. I am also in the southeast, and as the western-most satellite is still active, but close to the equator, while the eastern-most satellite is not active nor above the equator, reception is really bad. Right now that time of day is about 630-700pm (and also at 1030-11am and 230-300am). Since that time changes by about 4 minutes a day, the time of day for this issue changes by about 2 hours every month. My commute times stay pretty much the same, so I notice this problem when the satellite positions I described are at the same time I commute. But in your case, at 530pm, the western-most satellite position was a good bit north of the equator, so I don't think this was the problem. If you want to track the three satellite positions, a program is available called "Orbitron." Search with google and you'll find it.

And in regards to the antenna, several folks have them mounted inside the vehicle. This reduces the fade margin, which affects reception in marginal areas and at varying times of day. But with the antenna on the roof, your install sounds like it's optimized.

If you haven't already tried, it might not hurt to make sure the antenna plug is seated firmly in the dock. And also take the radio out out of the dock and put it back in, trying this two or three times. Both these could help if the connections aren't as tight as they were, or if there is oxidation on the connections.

HTH.
__________________
- Homie
Lifetime Sirius Subscriber

Originally Posted by atlwxman: "I love Sirius...but in my car, not in my portfolio."

Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC: "...Just make a radio that gets both services, and there will be no need for the merger!"


Current Sirius radios:
Brix Streamer Replay
XACT "Visor"
XACT XTR8 Replay
HomieG is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #152
realjd
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2005
Posts: 42
realjd is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG
The reason I asked about the time was that I've found that as the satellites move, I get pretty bad reception 4 or 5 times a year on my commute. I am also in the southeast, and as the western-most satellite is still active, but close to the equator, while the eastern-most satellite is not active nor above the equator, reception is really bad. Right now that time of day is about 630-700pm (and also at 1030-11am and 230-300am). Since that time changes by about 4 minutes a day, the time of day for this issue changes by about 2 hours every month. My commute times stay pretty much the same, so I notice this problem when the satellite positions I described are at the same time I commute. But in your case, at 530pm, the western-most satellite position was a good bit north of the equator, so I don't think this was the problem. If you want to track the three satellite positions, a program is available called "Orbitron." Search with google and you'll find it.

And in regards to the antenna, several folks have them mounted inside the vehicle. This reduces the fade margin, which affects reception in marginal areas and at varying times of day. But with the antenna on the roof, your install sounds like it's optimized.

If you haven't already tried, it might not hurt to make sure the antenna plug is seated firmly in the dock. And also take the radio out out of the dock and put it back in, trying this two or three times. Both these could help if the connections aren't as tight as they were, or if there is oxidation on the connections.

HTH.
You, sir, sound suspiciously like a fellow engineer

Checking orbitron was the first thing I did after I got home. Well, second I guess. First thing was to check the antenna cable for worn insulation, nicks, kinks, and such. I didn't actually look at the antenna adapters for oxidation, but I did plug/unplug the antenna from the base and the unit from the base several times. Besides, I was under the impression that the antenna connection was all-or-nothing, and I wasn't getting the "Antenna not found" error message. It was showing 3/9 on the "antenna aiming" screen, which is normally enough to get at least occasional sound rather than the 1-2 second bursts every few minutes.

Come to think of it, there's a shuttle up right now, and it passed overhead at around 5:00 yesterday. Considering my location near the cape, that very likely could have something to do with it. My problems started right around the time they launched. Who knows what kind of crazy communication equipment NASA has running when the thing is above the horizon here.
realjd is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #153
dgreene4001
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 14, 2006
Posts: 28
dgreene4001 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi.

I live in Delaware and I'm a victim of the dreaded "repeater down" problem.

Anyway, I bought a Tivoli Satellite radio this week along with a Sirius Signal Distribution Kit (outdoor antenna). I ran the antenna outside last night and mounted it around 10pm facing West - Northwest. Signal was good (2-3 bars out of of 3).

This evening around 7pm I only had one bar, so I started experimenting with antenna placement. I found I got a better signal facing East or Southeast (all directions are my best guestimates). I then went to the trouble of mounting the antenna East (2 out of 3 bars consistently) only to have it completely drop (no bars) one hour later. Changed it to due south and worked OK briefly, but now nothing

I guess I don't understand how variable satellite positioning is, and how I'm going to get any kind of a consistent signal inside without mounting the antenna on the roof (which I won't do). I really need their Delaware repeater up again... that would eliminate all my problems, but I won't get my hopes up.

I know that Sirius makes recommendations for antenna aiming, but my own experience doesn't seem reinforce what they say. Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.


-DG

Last edited by dgreene4001; 12-26-2006 at 11:24 AM..
dgreene4001 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 AM   #154
razor
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 23, 2006
Posts: 3
razor is on a distinguished road
Default

You all can add Pittsburgh to the list of cities with problems. I've had Sirius for two years now this Christmas without any problems until now. I first noticed the signal loss on the 18th and thought it was going to be a temp problem but it never went away. I have been unable to maintain a signal for more than 2 minutes on my daily 55 minute. On my route most of signal comes from the satellites and not the repeaters so I think there is either interference from something on the ground or their satellites are screwed-up. Ironic I've been using the satellite radio more than ever lately right up until this happened. I came across this site and this thread by accident while doing a google search. After reading the entire thread I posted a link on Digg (in the gadget section) to hopefully catch some attention and make some noise. Please if you can go there and help Digg up the story. Maybe that will get some one's attention at Sirius.

--Dave
razor is offline  
 
 
Old 12-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #155
Huskerdude327
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2006
Posts: 6
Huskerdude327 is on a distinguished road
Default

Man I hate it for you guys. Maybe its a regional thing? My cousin lives in the Birmingham area and never has problems w/his receiver. I recently got Sirius and live in a wooded area outside Tuscaloosa, AL and have yet to have signal problems. Friend of mine lives in Nashville and rarely has problems.
Huskerdude327 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #156
rgarjr
Mixologist
 
rgarjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2006
Location: Los Angeles Area, Cali
Posts: 270
rgarjr is on a distinguished road
Default

Live here in the Irwindale, CA area and I guess I'm lucky cuz I get full signal from both sat and ter.
rgarjr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #157
rmwood
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2006
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3
rmwood is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Same problem - aquiring signal

I live in South Florida and this past fall began having the increasingly frequent aquiring signal problem. South Florida is obviously quite flat and has very few obstructions to a clear sky - so what the f&&K? Called Sirius, got the usual "duh" response from their oh-so-informed customer service people, was told to call the warantee department because it must be a defective antenna. What a frickin' pain in my ass! On hold with the warantee people for about an hour, was told I'd get my new unit in 7 to 10 business days. And as for the money I'd spent to have my "defective" equipment professionally installed and now more money to reinstall the new equipment? Oh well, too bad, Sirius doesn't cover that. And now that I've gone through all of that, I constantly have some level of static with my reception, even with a clear FM channel. There's more, but frankly I'm sick of talking about it.......... If it wasn't for Stern, I swear Sirius would go down the tubes so fast. THEY SUCK. and what's more, they don't seem to give a shit.
rmwood is offline  
 
 
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #158
DaleHarrisburg
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 23, 2006
Posts: 32
DaleHarrisburg is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Warrenty Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwood
I live in South Florida and this past fall began having the increasingly frequent aquiring signal problem. South Florida is obviously quite flat and has very few obstructions to a clear sky - so what the f&&K? Called Sirius, got the usual "duh" response from their oh-so-informed customer service people, was told to call the warantee department because it must be a defective antenna. What a frickin' pain in my ass! On hold with the warantee people for about an hour, was told I'd get my new unit in 7 to 10 business days. And as for the money I'd spent to have my "defective" equipment professionally installed and now more money to reinstall the new equipment? Oh well, too bad, Sirius doesn't cover that. And now that I've gone through all of that, I constantly have some level of static with my reception, even with a clear FM channel. There's more, but frankly I'm sick of talking about it.......... If it wasn't for Stern, I swear Sirius would go down the tubes so fast. THEY SUCK. and what's more, they don't seem to give a shit.
I hear ya on your reception problems and on a reinstall. I've experienced both. This will not help you now, but if you ever decide to have a place install a Sirius product again in your vehicle (or wherever), you might want to consider getting that extended warrently service. I usually don't go for those extended plans because they are usually a waste, but with Sirius products I think it is almost a necessity. I had Circuit City do my install in my truck and got the extended warrently (I think is was about $50 or so). It has paid for itself because I had a bad antenna on the Sportster Repeater model and they had to reinstall and now it works fine (in the truck, but not in buildings near Harrisburg because of the repeater being down). Something to consider for next time, if there is one. I don't blame you for not buying another Sirius product considering what you have been going through.

Last edited by DaleHarrisburg; 12-27-2006 at 08:04 AM..
DaleHarrisburg is offline  
 
 
Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #159
laramr
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2006
Posts: 1
laramr is on a distinguished road
Default

Also near Delaware and have been having issues off and on. Sportster 4 in car. Will work great for days even in the rain and then not get signal for days, clear sky or not. The good days suggest its not an equipment problem. Very frustrating.

So what's the recommended action?
laramr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #160
guernica
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Apr 12, 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 123
guernica is on a distinguished road
Default

I haven't been here for a while but I sure am glad I dropped by and saw this thread! I'm an Atlantan and yes, have been experiencing lots of dropouts for the last month or so. All this time I thought it was my radio but apparently I, too, am a victim of the repeater problem. Thanks y'all for the info!
guernica is offline  
 
 
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #161
wkerns
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 30, 2006
Posts: 2
wkerns is on a distinguished road
Cool acquiring signal

I have an older sporster (2yrs) and it is having these problems with acquiring signal. I also have a sporster replay (1yr) old, it does not have these problems. Is it only the older radios that this is effecting?
wkerns is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2006, 01:27 AM   #162
Huskerdude327
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2006
Posts: 6
Huskerdude327 is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm having signal problems tonight in Tuscaloosa. I finally gave up and turned on FM
Huskerdude327 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #163
wkerns
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 30, 2006
Posts: 2
wkerns is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerns
I have an older sporster (2yrs) and it is having these problems with acquiring signal. I also have a sporster replay (1yr) old, it does not have these problems. Is it only the older radios that this is effecting?
I am in Virginia. This happens in the car or home docking station.
wkerns is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #164
MRBPSDnTX
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2006
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 6
MRBPSDnTX is on a distinguished road
Default

drop out is EXTREMELY BAD here!! I have clear sky BTW! Brand NEW Starmate 'R'

MRBPSDnTX is offline  
 
 
Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 PM   #165
ngubu07
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2006
Posts: 2
ngubu07 is on a distinguished road
Post Same problem in Las Vegas

I've had the Kenwood H2EC for 18 months without a problem. I moved here to Vegas in July and only noticed dropouts on I-215 as I pass Red Rock Casino.

Since after Thanksgiving the reception has been spotty and this weekend it's been unbearable. I notice it specifically if I'm driving North or South. East-
West seems to work fine. My theory is that a directional repeater must not be working very efficiently if this is going on. We might be better off taking the signal off the bird altogether.

Sean
ngubu07 is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satellite/Terrestrial Signal Conflict? uwjosh Install Garage & Help Desk 2 01-24-2005 07:34 PM
National Signal thread ianmalcm Install Garage & Help Desk 9 08-19-2004 09:53 AM
The official should I buy a 4 channel amp for my car thread HeavyB3 The Doghouse 16 04-14-2004 08:07 AM
ever1 thats mad about Vortex Come In Official Contact Thread FiReBReTHa SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 2 01-20-2004 02:55 PM
The Official Happy Thanksgiving thread HeavyB3 The Doghouse 12 11-27-2003 04:44 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.