Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Install Garage & Help Desk You've got the radio, now which cable goes where? Got questions about factory installed radios in your car? Ask any installation or help questions here and someone will get to you soon.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
cameltoe
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Posts: 10
cameltoe is on a distinguished road
Default connecting sportster 4 to your pc?

hello

I know this may sound like an off the wall question but I just got a sportster 4 with boombox and I am wondering if I am able to connected with my pc to record?

I understand all of the copyright issues but I like to archive certain material on sirius.

thanks in advance for the help!
cameltoe is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
ProperModulation
Top Dog Member
connecting sportster 4 to your pc?
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
ProperModulation has a spectacular aura aboutProperModulation has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoe
hello

I know this may sound like an off the wall question but I just got a sportster 4 with boombox and I am wondering if I am able to connected with my pc to record?

I understand all of the copyright issues but I like to archive certain material on sirius.

thanks in advance for the help!
If you search you will find many threads about connecting receivers to your computer and recording content to MP3 (or whatever format). The quick answer is that connecting to your computer is easy. All you need is a 3.5mm stereo patch cable from Radioshack. Connect one end to the audio-out from your Sportster and the other end into the audio-in jack on your computer sound card.

A couple of things to consider:

1. I don't know if the new boombox has an audio-out jack. I know the home kits have it but I don't know about the boombox. If the boombox doesnt have this jack, then you may need a home kit to give you the ability to record on your computer.

2. I don't know anything about your computer. If you use a laptop that does not have an audio-in jack, but rather a microphone jack, you may also be out of luck. For electrical reasons that I don't care to really understand you need an audio-in jack and NOT a microphone jack. Using a mic jack gives you crappy sound for some reason. If you have a desktop with a standard sound card then this probably isnt an issue since you'll probably have an audio-in jack.

but like I said, search the forums and you'll find more info. good luck!
ProperModulation is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
cameltoe
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Posts: 10
cameltoe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperModulation
If you search you will find many threads about connecting receivers to your computer and recording content to MP3 (or whatever format). The quick answer is that connecting to your computer is easy. All you need is a 3.5mm stereo patch cable from Radioshack. Connect one end to the audio-out from your Sportster and the other end into the audio-in jack on your computer sound card.

A couple of things to consider:

1. I don't know if the new boombox has an audio-out jack. I know the home kits have it but I don't know about the boombox. If the boombox doesnt have this jack, then you may need a home kit to give you the ability to record on your computer.

2. I don't know anything about your computer. If you use a laptop that does not have an audio-in jack, but rather a microphone jack, you may also be out of luck. For electrical reasons that I don't care to really understand you need an audio-in jack and NOT a microphone jack. Using a mic jack gives you crappy sound for some reason. If you have a desktop with a standard sound card then this probably isnt an issue since you'll probably have an audio-in jack.

but like I said, search the forums and you'll find more info. good luck!

thanks for the quick reply and sorry about not searching for similar threads. it was such a noob thing to do.

as far as my pc I have a soundblaster card so that end is covered. on the boombox, there is a AUX in and a headphone jack, thats it. not sure if it can be done by the headphone jack?

I may have to take the boombox back to get the home kit so I can record. I just want to make sure that I can definitely record with it first.
cameltoe is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
ProperModulation
Top Dog Member
connecting sportster 4 to your pc?
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
ProperModulation has a spectacular aura aboutProperModulation has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoe
thanks for the quick reply and sorry about not searching for similar threads. it was such a noob thing to do.

as far as my pc I have a soundblaster card so that end is covered. on the boombox, there is a AUX in and a headphone jack, thats it. not sure if it can be done by the headphone jack?

I may have to take the boombox back to get the home kit so I can record. I just want to make sure that I can definitely record with it first.
no problem

Actually, I would stick with what you have. I forgot about the heaphone jack on the boombox. This is good in that it allows you a volume adjustment when you hook up to your soundblaster. I actually run my Sirius receiver through a pair of PC speakers before running into my soundcard for just this reason. When I fist hooked things up the volume was really low, so running through the amplified speakers (or boombox in your case) allows you to set the input level as high (or low) as you need.

Sounds like all you need is the patch cable and you're good to go. A couple of recorders that I use are:

www.abyssmedia.com
www.supermp3recorder.com

They both cost a few bucks but I like them both. Others have recommended total recorder:

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

But any recording package will do once you have the audio running into your PC.
ProperModulation is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
cameltoe
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Posts: 10
cameltoe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperModulation
no problem

Actually, I would stick with what you have. I forgot about the heaphone jack on the boombox. This is good in that it allows you a volume adjustment when you hook up to your soundblaster. I actually run my Sirius receiver through a pair of PC speakers before running into my soundcard for just this reason. When I fist hooked things up the volume was really low, so running through the amplified speakers (or boombox in your case) allows you to set the input level as high (or low) as you need.

Sounds like all you need is the patch cable and you're good to go. A couple of recorders that I use are:

www.abyssmedia.com
www.supermp3recorder.com

They both cost a few bucks but I like them both. Others have recommended total recorder:

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

But any recording package will do once you have the audio running into your PC.
phew!

so I can definitely connect the boombox to my soundcard and record and also listen to the sirius on my pc through the headphone jack?

I already have the two male ended cable(stereo) from radioshack. thanks for the recommending a few recording apps too...lol, that was going to be my next question.
cameltoe is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
ProperModulation
Top Dog Member
connecting sportster 4 to your pc?
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,973
ProperModulation has a spectacular aura aboutProperModulation has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoe
phew!

so I can definitely connect the boombox to my soundcard and record and also listen to the sirius on my pc through the headphone jack?

I already have the two male ended cable(stereo) from radioshack. thanks for the recommending a few recording apps too...lol, that was going to be my next question.
yup, you should be able to do it no problem. I actually used to use an Xact boombox and receiver for the same thing before I moved to my current setup with the PC speakers. You can search around for free MP3 recorders to suit your needs, but my favorites are the two that I linked to in my previous post.
ProperModulation is offline  
 
 
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
cameltoe
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Posts: 10
cameltoe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperModulation
yup, you should be able to do it no problem. I actually used to use an Xact boombox and receiver for the same thing before I moved to my current setup with the PC speakers. You can search around for free MP3 recorders to suit your needs, but my favorites are the two that I linked to in my previous post.
very cool!

because sometimes I have parties and the boombox is only so loud but I have a nice 5-1 surround on my pc and they are very loud. so I think it would sound better on those speakers in that situation.

thanks so much for your help!..I really appreciate it.

this place rocks!

Last edited by cameltoe; 11-25-2006 at 10:41 PM..
cameltoe is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
jwt873
Top Dog Member
connecting sportster 4 to your pc?
 
jwt873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11, 2004
Posts: 2,600
jwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura about
Default

If you have a home stereo with an Audio or Line input, you can hook the boombox up to that and use your home stereo the same way you can use your computer..

If you have a big amp and good speakers, that might be the way to go for parties. (Connecting with audio-in is usually a bit better than using the FM transmitter)
jwt873 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
cameltoe
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 05, 2006
Posts: 10
cameltoe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873
If you have a home stereo with an Audio or Line input, you can hook the boombox up to that and use your home stereo the same way you can use your computer..

If you have a big amp and good speakers, that might be the way to go for parties. (Connecting with audio-in is usually a bit better than using the FM transmitter)
nice!

thanks for the info!
cameltoe is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install Threads by Make / Model (Updated 3/29) de Install Garage & Help Desk 120 11-07-2007 09:16 AM
Connecting Sportster in car without FM Transmitter spooky Install Garage & Help Desk 2 05-08-2006 05:19 PM
Connecting Sportster Replay to PC kohlhaas1 Install Garage & Help Desk 14 01-03-2006 06:31 PM
Question on connecting ther Sportster Replay on PC italsta2 Radios & Receivers 8 11-24-2005 08:58 AM
KHill's Sportster Review KHill Radios & Receivers 34 01-03-2005 10:10 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.