Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Install Garage & Help Desk You've got the radio, now which cable goes where? Got questions about factory installed radios in your car? Ask any installation or help questions here and someone will get to you soon.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
Deepinit
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 12
Deepinit is on a distinguished road
Default Terrible Sound

Hi all newbie and first post....
I just pickup a Sporster Replay and have it wired into my aux input on my radio and it sounds terrible. Reverb is highly prevalent in normal music and the low end sounds flat. Oh and I am getting full sat signal. Now the thing is I have Sirius on my Dish Network and have copied hours onto a CD in an MP3 format and it sounds incredible. I also made sure the settings on my radio were the same for both CD and aux input so I am not sure what's up. This is my second Sportser. My first never detected the antenna no matter what I did, and now this. I do have a high-end audio system in the car built for SQ, so this is an incredible disappointment. Is it possible I have another bad receiver or is this as good as it gets? It's really driving me nuts.
Deepinit is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
acoulter
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Jun 08, 2006
Posts: 3
acoulter is on a distinguished road
Default Turn down audio level on the sportster

I have had the same problem and I fixed it by simply turning down the audio level on my satelite unit and the reverb went away.
acoulter is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Deepinit
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 12
Deepinit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoulter
I have had the same problem and I fixed it by simply turning down the audio level on my satelite unit and the reverb went away.
I gave that a shot too, and it did not work
Deepinit is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
greggor
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Canton Michigan
Posts: 50
greggor is on a distinguished road
Default sound Quality

This topic has been discussed constantly. Satalite radio isn't CD quality sound and in my opinion it is pretty bad, people's perception is subjective and many find it acceptable and even good. What you describe is exactly how I perceive it very tinny/distorted in the high end and flat/non existant in the low end. the signal is very compressed. If you are used to/expect HQ sound you will probably be dissapointed. While I enjoy the variety of music on Satalite the lackluster sound quality depresses me.

Gregg
greggor is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Deepinit
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 12
Deepinit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggor
This topic has been discussed constantly. Satalite radio isn't CD quality sound and in my opinion it is pretty bad, people's perception is subjective and many find it acceptable and even good. What you describe is exactly how I perceive it very tinny/distorted in the high end and flat/non existant in the low end. the signal is very compressed. If you are used to/expect HQ sound you will probably be dissapointed. While I enjoy the variety of music on Satalite the lackluster sound quality depresses me.

Gregg
So you're saying that the reverb is normal? even at low volumn it can be heard, hell my Mom said asked me if something was wrong with my radio a and she is the type that does not know how to adjust her own car radio for treble or bass(OEM non bose). Jeez I wonder if she even knows what that means. I know it was not going to be cd quality but come on... FM radio sounds better than this, way way better than this, hell AM too.
Deepinit is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
jwt873
Top Dog Member
Terrible Sound
 
jwt873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11, 2004
Posts: 2,600
jwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura about
Default

The 'reverb' you're describing isn't normal... I've been listening to Sirius for 2 1/5 years now using a few receivers and I've never heard it when the signal was good. (It can get a bit gurgly just before the signal drops out).. I don't know what to suggest about your problem.

Yes, the highs and lows do suffer a bit. I find re-tweaking my bass and trebel controls helps enough that the sound quality is OK by me
jwt873 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
Deepinit
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 12
Deepinit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873
The 'reverb' you're describing isn't normal... I've been listening to Sirius for 2 1/5 years now using a few receivers and I've never heard it when the signal was good. (It can get a bit gurgly just before the signal drops out).. I don't know what to suggest about your problem.

Yes, the highs and lows do suffer a bit. I find re-tweaking my bass and trebel controls helps enough that the sound quality is OK by me
Interesting thing, on the way home from work the reverd was gone. I am wondering did they fix something? It's sounds great now! But, it's been cloudy and raining all day but I still get full sat signal. I hope it won't reverb again when it clears up.
Deepinit is offline  
 
 
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
LarryBS
Rocket Scientist
 
LarryBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13, 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 873
LarryBS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepinit
So you're saying that the reverb is normal? even at low volumn it can be heard, hell my Mom said asked me if something was wrong with my radio a and she is the type that does not know how to adjust her own car radio for treble or bass(OEM non bose). Jeez I wonder if she even knows what that means. I know it was not going to be cd quality but come on... FM radio sounds better than this, way way better than this, hell AM too.
No, the reverb is definitely NOT normal. And while the SQ of satellite radio is definitely not CD quality, your radio should not actually sound BAD, as in distorted and noticeably degraded. Yes, it will lack nice deep rich bass and clean crisp highs, but it should be clear and smooth, especially through an AUX input. It should be pleasant sounding, cleaner and clearer than FM but with less sound fidelity.
__________________
JVC SR2000 - pics and installation LINK
LarryBS is offline  
 
 
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Deepinit
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 12
Deepinit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepinit
Interesting thing, on the way home from work the reverd was gone. I am wondering did they fix something? It's sounds great now! But, it's been cloudy and raining all day but I still get full sat signal. I hope it won't reverb again when it clears up.
Still sounding good, I guess they fixed the problem. Now I can integrate it ino the dash.
Deepinit is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound Quality HBK SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 686 03-01-2006 05:47 PM
Sound quality... receiver or Sirius? overfloater Install Garage & Help Desk 1 12-31-2005 10:51 PM
Sound Quality on Sporster Replay in Car mbw119 Install Garage & Help Desk 6 11-14-2005 07:50 AM
sound quality of Audiovox PNP2?(high end distortion problem) BRH Install Garage & Help Desk 13 03-14-2005 01:14 PM
upset with sound quality i8piglet Radios & Receivers 26 03-08-2005 01:09 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.