Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Radios & Receivers This is the place to talk about all the high-tech SIRIUS radios: Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Alpine, Audiovox, Sony, XACT, and more!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
k9feces
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 1,167
k9feces is on a distinguished road
Default

Is HowardTV available? If so It will be so funny that I will drive off the road. Is a homedock available? Is it 1080I or 720p?
k9feces is offline  
 
 
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
TSS Taylor
Top Dog Member
Sirius Backseat TV SCV1
 
TSS Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,880
TSS Taylor will become famous soon enoughTSS Taylor will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgovol View Post
I have talked to a few tech guys at various places and they believe that I will be able to use the new Toyota interface (TOY-SC1) in place of the DCU. This would allow me to see artist/song info on my stock stereo/navigation system. Basically, they are telling me to unplug the XM tuner and that will plug into the TOY-SC1 and then the SCV1 (backseat tuner) will plug into the TOY-SC1 also. I hope this is going to work. Any ideas?
Josh, the poster above you thinks that this may actually work. I threw it past one of the product managers and he seems to agree. It would replace the DCU, giving you a cleaner instal for the audio portion of Sirius. Then the backseat TV would operate as usual. It's really a matter of someone testing it out first.
__________________
DRC
TSS Taylor is offline  
 
 
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
rainwater
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2006
Posts: 84
rainwater is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9feces View Post
Is HowardTV available? If so It will be so funny that I will drive off the road. Is a homedock available? Is it 1080I or 720p?
No. No. Neither.
rainwater is offline  
 
 
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #19
samgovol
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2003
Posts: 12
samgovol is on a distinguished road
Default

I hope it works. We are scheduled to have it installed May. 9th. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all of your input!
samgovol is offline  
 
 
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Scott Greczkowski
Loyal Listener
Sirius Backseat TV SCV1
 
Join Date: Apr 08, 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 240
Scott Greczkowski has a spectacular aura aboutScott Greczkowski has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Scott Greczkowski
Default

I have a full review typed up and I hoped to have posted it by now, but a death in the family and other family things that have popped up which have prevented me from posting it.

Hopefully I will get to it in the next few days.

In traveling (a lot) over the past week I can say that if you have kids this is a very good add on and I am impressed with its quality. It looks good on both the 9 inch and 7 inch screens I have in my truck.
__________________
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US
Scott Greczkowski is offline  
 
 
Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
sfollenius
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Dec 21, 2003
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 158
sfollenius is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to sfollenius Send a message via AIM to sfollenius Send a message via MSN to sfollenius Send a message via Yahoo to sfollenius
Default

Awesome Scott, I look forward to it. Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Not sure how you find the time to post over here
sfollenius is offline  
 
 
Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #22
samgovol
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2003
Posts: 12
samgovol is on a distinguished road
Default thanks scott

Looking forward to reading your review. I am surprised that more people aren't interested in the backseat TV. I believe that I would rather have this than A/C when traveling with kids! ha!
samgovol is offline  
 
 
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #23
jcantanixon
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Apr 21, 2008
Posts: 3
jcantanixon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS Taylor View Post
Josh, the poster above you thinks that this may actually work. I threw it past one of the product managers and he seems to agree. It would replace the DCU, giving you a cleaner instal for the audio portion of Sirius. Then the backseat TV would operate as usual. It's really a matter of someone testing it out first.
Has anyone done this yet? I'm getting ready to do a HON-SC1 + SCC1 install, and I'd rather do a HON-SC1 + SCV1 install. I sent an email to sales at TSS, so hopefully I'll get a response fast enough for me to get the SCV1 here before the weekend if it's doable.
jcantanixon is offline  
 
 
Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
samgovol
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2003
Posts: 12
samgovol is on a distinguished road
Default install

How did your install go? I am scheduled for next Friday, I will post as soon as I can.
samgovol is offline  
 
 
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #25
THEFROZENTUNDRA
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: May 02, 2008
Posts: 3
THEFROZENTUNDRA is on a distinguished road
Default

Anyone install the backseat tv unit in their vehicle or have a good knowledge of the install?

I have a 2005 Yukon with the SIR-GM1 unit with factory NAV and DVD player. I'm wondering if the scv1 will interface with the GM1 or does it replace it? I called Crutchfield, but the guy was not very knowledgeable on the unit. He said that the scv1 has to be hardwired to the headunit (no GM specific wiring harness), and the unit has to be connected to the DVD player with the RCA cables. Does this sound right? Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks.
THEFROZENTUNDRA is offline  
 
 
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #26
Mopar86
Loyal Listener
 
Mopar86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 20, 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 112
Mopar86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mopar86
Default

I wrote an article about Backseat TV, http://www.thefatherlife.com/articles/2008/115/,
let me know what you guys think about it. Also if anyone has any installation questions you can email me at Josh@tss-radio.com too, I'll do my best to help you. thanks
__________________
Josh from TSS-Radio
2002 Dodge Stratus with Sportster 5 and Bracketron custom mount.

Subscribe to TSS-Radio's official BLOG and be informed
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/

Win a free T-Shirt from TSS-Radio here
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/2008/0...radio-t-shirt/

Support Sirius Backstage
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...d.php?t=101004
Mopar86 is offline  
 
 
Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #27
Mopar86
Loyal Listener
 
Mopar86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 20, 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 112
Mopar86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mopar86
Default

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjGjIRA89I[/ame]
__________________
Josh from TSS-Radio
2002 Dodge Stratus with Sportster 5 and Bracketron custom mount.

Subscribe to TSS-Radio's official BLOG and be informed
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/

Win a free T-Shirt from TSS-Radio here
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/2008/0...radio-t-shirt/

Support Sirius Backstage
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...d.php?t=101004
Mopar86 is offline  
 
 
Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
samgovol
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2003
Posts: 12
samgovol is on a distinguished road
Default install

Well, I finally had my install of my SCV1. It so far has been a nightmare. Again, I have a 2008 toyota landcruiser with factory navigation/XM. So, we decided to try and use the SCV1 and the new Toyota interface (so we could bypass the DCU) and use the factory stereo to change channels/artist name/song title, etc. Well, After two days of work with the installer and Sirius, we finally got the stereo working and then on the second day, Sirius finally figured out that they had to send a Video signal (in addition to the satellite radio signal) Sirius kept telling me that there was two different SID #'s and I kept telling them that the manual for the SCV1 says that there is only ONE. Long story short, there is ONLY one SID #, but they didn't send out the video signal. So, now the sirius backseat works great, the picture is clear and signal is good. But, I have a major problem with the Sirius radio portion. The sound is horrible and you have to turn the stereo up almost to the MAX to get any sound. After I got home (4 hours away from the installer) I decided to look at their setup. They did use the new Toyota Sirius interface and that seems to be working fine, but they did not use the audio out (L and R) RCA type connection that (I think) should have been used to get the sound to my stereo. So, I have 2 questions, #1) how is the sound coming to my stereo now if they don't have the audio out plugged in (does the toyota interface provide sound??) and #2) is this an easy fix that just needs the RCA type connections plugged into the back of my factory headunit??

Any suggestions??
samgovol is offline  
 
 
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #29
Mopar86
Loyal Listener
 
Mopar86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 20, 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 112
Mopar86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mopar86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgovol View Post
Well, I finally had my install of my SCV1. It so far has been a nightmare. Again, I have a 2008 toyota landcruiser with factory navigation/XM. So, we decided to try and use the SCV1 and the new Toyota interface (so we could bypass the DCU) and use the factory stereo to change channels/artist name/song title, etc. Well, After two days of work with the installer and Sirius, we finally got the stereo working and then on the second day, Sirius finally figured out that they had to send a Video signal (in addition to the satellite radio signal) Sirius kept telling me that there was two different SID #'s and I kept telling them that the manual for the SCV1 says that there is only ONE. Long story short, there is ONLY one SID #, but they didn't send out the video signal. So, now the sirius backseat works great, the picture is clear and signal is good. But, I have a major problem with the Sirius radio portion. The sound is horrible and you have to turn the stereo up almost to the MAX to get any sound. After I got home (4 hours away from the installer) I decided to look at their setup. They did use the new Toyota Sirius interface and that seems to be working fine, but they did not use the audio out (L and R) RCA type connection that (I think) should have been used to get the sound to my stereo. So, I have 2 questions, #1) how is the sound coming to my stereo now if they don't have the audio out plugged in (does the toyota interface provide sound??) and #2) is this an easy fix that just needs the RCA type connections plugged into the back of my factory headunit??

Any suggestions??

The TOY-SC1 will Relay the sound in a normal TOY-SC1+SCC1 setup


The audio volume may be solved with this:

Here is the technical bulletin for the TOY-SC1 and HON-SC1
I'm just going to just put it down word for word.

Technical Bulletin: Setting Audio Levels

There is a built-in software setting for audio levels on these two interface modules that allows the installer or end user to match the level correctly for a particular vehicle. In some Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles, you may need to enter the toggle code to raise the level to HIGH so satellite radio level matches FM/CD levels.

1. Turn stock audio system on, switch to SAT operation.
2. Rapidly enter on the stock radio preset buttons the following code: "162534".
3. The audio level will toggle to the new setting, which you will hear immediately if the code is entered correctly and quickly enough.
4. If no audible change, enter the code again.
5. Check the audio level on similar channel from Sirius vs. FM, then try CD.

The default settings on the interfaces as shipped are as follows:

TOYSC1: default setting = LOW
HONSC1: default setting = HIGH

This was posted by TSS Taylor
__________________
Josh from TSS-Radio
2002 Dodge Stratus with Sportster 5 and Bracketron custom mount.

Subscribe to TSS-Radio's official BLOG and be informed
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/

Win a free T-Shirt from TSS-Radio here
http://www.tss-radio.com/blog/2008/0...radio-t-shirt/

Support Sirius Backstage
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...d.php?t=101004
Mopar86 is offline  
 
 
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
jcantanixon
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Apr 21, 2008
Posts: 3
jcantanixon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar86 View Post
The TOY-SC1 will Relay the sound in a normal TOY-SC1+SCC1 setup


The audio volume may be solved with this:

Here is the technical bulletin for the TOY-SC1 and HON-SC1
I'm just going to just put it down word for word.

Technical Bulletin: Setting Audio Levels

There is a built-in software setting for audio levels on these two interface modules that allows the installer or end user to match the level correctly for a particular vehicle. In some Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles, you may need to enter the toggle code to raise the level to HIGH so satellite radio level matches FM/CD levels.

1. Turn stock audio system on, switch to SAT operation.
2. Rapidly enter on the stock radio preset buttons the following code: "162534".
3. The audio level will toggle to the new setting, which you will hear immediately if the code is entered correctly and quickly enough.
4. If no audible change, enter the code again.
5. Check the audio level on similar channel from Sirius vs. FM, then try CD.

The default settings on the interfaces as shipped are as follows:

TOYSC1: default setting = LOW
HONSC1: default setting = HIGH

This was posted by TSS Taylor
Sorry, I should've posted in here last week. The tech bulletin posted above did not work with the HON-SC1 plugged into the SCV1, only when it was plugged into the SCC1.

Brian Webb and I tried for hours to make this work and I'd say we got about 85% there. The HON-SC1 and the SCV1 are just not quite 100% compatible. They connect and can communicate, and we even got it to work as expected half the time, but every other time you initialized the headunit, the sound volume would go from normal to barely audible. The same situation described by samgovol. We tried every combination of supplying constant and switched power to the SCV1 and plugging and unplugging the HON-SC1, but couldn't get past it. Turning the headunit on and off wouldn't help either. You would have to turn the key off and back on to get the sound to change. It seems like the software used to communicate between the HON-SC1 and the tuner in the SCV1 was having handshake issues. The TV portion of the SCV1 seemed to work fine.

Other notes: The tuner in the SCV1 transmits some power feedback into the system. You could hear a "pop" whenever you turned it on, and you could hear some engine whine. Neither of these were present when using the SCV1 as a stand-alone or when using the HON-SC1+SCC1 combination. Also, the 8 pin DIN cable that comes with the SCV1 and SCC1 are the same internally, they're just different lengths. We tested both on the bench and the pinouts match exactly. We also tested both with the units and got the same results.

Samgovol, have you *ever* gotten it to work correctly? Mine worked every other time. I might have been able to live with it that way, but there's no way my wife would have. Try turning the key off and then back on and seeing if the TOY-SC1/SCV1/Toyota headunit all resync and the sound output goes back to normal. Otherwise, you're going to have to use the DCU to control the tuner and get the sound from the RCA outputs on the SCV1 into your headunit either via FM modulator or aux input converter.

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but let me know if there are any other questions I might be able to help with.

Last edited by jcantanixon; 05-12-2008 at 02:37 PM..
jcantanixon is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrysler unveils 2009 Dodge Ram: First truck with Sirius Backseat TV KTMC Galaxy Nation 8 02-27-2008 11:33 PM
Sirius Backseat TV will offer children's channels (and cut our audio quality) w0kie SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 16 06-03-2007 02:35 PM
BREAKING: Sirius Backseat TV unveiled on Sirius' website KTMC SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 33 04-02-2007 08:09 AM
Sirius Backseat TV Debuts on Chrysler Vehicles & Programming Announced! BenDee Insiders Blog 16 04-01-2007 02:04 PM
Sirius Launches Backseat TV - Orbitcast BenDee Insiders Blog 33 02-12-2007 06:37 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.