Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Radios & Receivers This is the place to talk about all the high-tech SIRIUS radios: Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Alpine, Audiovox, Sony, XACT, and more!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 AM   #61
big er
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Apr 06, 2004
Location: Trophy Club, TX
Posts: 60
big er is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to big er
Default

Sure looks real:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4094089&EDATE=
big er is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #62
Phantom
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Nov 13, 2004
Posts: 101
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Default

Looks like the Starmate Replay does have artist seek and song seek - that's what the spec sheet meant by "Sirius seek".

30 Sirius seeks.
Phantom is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #63
Dave_A
Mixologist
 
Dave_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 352
Dave_A is on a distinguished road
Default

Not sure if this has being answered already but when will the Starmate Replay be out?? I think it's the best looking Sirius radio yet and would definately upgrade from my Audiovox PNP 3!

I like the new Sirius "portable" but $399 plus $100 for a home kit is a little out of my price range, for now, plus no "live" mode. Hmm.
__________________
Sirius, please add a '90s channel.
Dave_A is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #64
seahawks80
Rocket Scientist
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
Join Date: Dec 28, 2003
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 908
seahawks80 will become famous soon enough
Default

This is the tuner I'm interested in as well. It will fit perfectly in my new car, and it seems to have some good added functionality as compared to the similarly-styled Starbase. I'm looking forward to getting a release date on this too.
seahawks80 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #65
TulaneJeff
Backstage Creator
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
TulaneJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 7,888
TulaneJeff will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TulaneJeff Send a message via Yahoo to TulaneJeff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A
Not sure if this has being answered already but when will the Starmate Replay be out?? I think it's the best looking Sirius radio yet and would definately upgrade from my Audiovox PNP 3!
The Starmate is an amazing little radio. It should be in retail some time in October.

By the way, the S50 is $359.99.

Jeff
TulaneJeff is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #66
soxnationonline
Top Dog Member
 
soxnationonline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Chi town
Posts: 3,992
soxnationonline will become famous soon enoughsoxnationonline will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulaneJeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_A
Not sure if this has being answered already but when will the Starmate Replay be out?? I think it's the best looking Sirius radio yet and would definately upgrade from my Audiovox PNP 3!
The Starmate is an amazing little radio. It should be in retail some time in October.


Jeff
I think of all the new sirius radio announcements this is my personal fav. and probably the one I will use to replace my orbiter (great tuner but its starting to break down on me.)
soxnationonline is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #67
Speedy3
Mixologist
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
Speedy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 24, 2005
Location: Apex, NC, USA
Posts: 331
Speedy3 will become famous soon enough
Default

Jeff,

Since it appears that the ReGO is not coming out, what was the real scoop with it?
Speedy3 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 03:49 AM   #68
NeuroRip
Top Dog Member
 
Join Date: Jun 03, 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,430
NeuroRip is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NeuroRip
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroRip
Actually, I didn't want to spend even more money on the new headphone antennas. The dorktenna is the plastic tube they expect you to clip to a hat or collar
Well, seems sort of nuts to me that you spent whatever you did for the Myfi only to refuse to buy the headphone/antenna which would totally solve the reception problem. $30, it was well, well worth it to me.
Well, maybe it's because I have a pair of headphones that cost more than the MyFi (Well, 300 bucks and they MyFi at 299.) I have the Bose Quiet Comfort II's and I use them for everything, not bothering the wife in the room, mowing the grass, when I have to go to the office, etc. Sadly, I can rarely hear more than one song at a time without a dropout. I don't think either service is ready for a true and reliable portable.
NeuroRip is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 06:15 AM   #69
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroRip
Well, maybe it's because I have a pair of headphones that cost more than the MyFi (Well, 300 bucks and they MyFi at 299.) I have the Bose Quiet Comfort II's and I use them for everything, not bothering the wife in the room, mowing the grass, when I have to go to the office, etc. Sadly, I can rarely hear more than one song at a time without a dropout. I don't think either service is ready for a true and reliable portable.
So you spent over $300.00 for some headphones and you spent $300.00 for Myfi and now you won't spend $30.00 for headphone/antenna setup that would give you the reception you want. I disagree that XM2GO tuners aren't true reliable portables. I used mine the last for days on my trip out of town and I don't recall having a single drop-out. So no offense to you, but you are outright resisting the solution and then yelling these things aren't true portables. Amazing that the only difference between you and I is the fact that I spent the extra $30.00 and you didn't. I get fantastic reception mowing grass, taking the dog for long evening walks etc and I don't have reception issues.

Anyway, we've beat this enough... You can most certainly continue to have poor reception if you so chose, but there is a solution, but apparently you'd rather continue to complain about it than do anything about it.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #70
RKTURBO6
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 275
RKTURBO6 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroRip
Actually, I didn't want to spend even more money on the new headphone antennas. The dorktenna is the plastic tube they expect you to clip to a hat or collar
Well, seems sort of nuts to me that you spent whatever you did for the Myfi only to refuse to buy the headphone/antenna which would totally solve the reception problem. $30, it was well, well worth it to me.
I know if you go purchase yet ANOTHER antenna for the Myfi it helps. But it is still satellite and unless th country was covered in repeaters (Way more than they currently have, Especially Sirius) I do not think a "listen live" unit is practical from either company. Sure it would be great, If it worked like advertised and what most consumers (who do not fully get how it all works) expect but the facts are it is really not a relable enough signal because so many things (namely everything) can block it. the dessert, the beach, the yard (maybe) and thats about it. As most reviews have stated the current listen live unit is a really nice PNP. But that about it. Just my .01
RKTURBO6 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #71
RKTURBO6
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 275
RKTURBO6 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroRip
Well, maybe it's because I have a pair of headphones that cost more than the MyFi (Well, 300 bucks and they MyFi at 299.) I have the Bose Quiet Comfort II's and I use them for everything, not bothering the wife in the room, mowing the grass, when I have to go to the office, etc. Sadly, I can rarely hear more than one song at a time without a dropout. I don't think either service is ready for a true and reliable portable.
So you spent over $300.00 for some headphones and you spent $300.00 for Myfi and now you won't spend $30.00 for headphone/antenna setup that would give you the reception you want. I disagree that XM2GO tuners aren't true reliable portables. I used mine the last for days on my trip out of town and I don't recall having a single drop-out. So no offense to you, but you are outright resisting the solution and then yelling these things aren't true portables. Amazing that the only difference between you and I is the fact that I spent the extra $30.00 and you didn't. I get fantastic reception mowing grass, taking the dog for long evening walks etc and I don't have reception issues.

Anyway, we've beat this enough... You can most certainly continue to have poor reception if you so chose, but there is a solution, but apparently you'd rather continue to complain about it than do anything about it.
You know you are the man here, But I disagree with you on this one. You have had great reception with yours and thats great. I can tell you I had terrible reception with mine. How is a different antenna going to improve reception of a line of site type signal? The truth is I have not seen any review done on it that did not comment on the problems with reception. And as I am sure you are well aware of look at the post on the " other " boards about this issue. Better yet ask the retailers which you know I am in everyday what issues they have with it. Matter of fact I was in a BB down here today and an Airware was returned for this reason.

The Myfi/ Airware is a great piece no doubt. Do I wish you could listen live with the S50? Sure (although not sure when I would use it). But the fact is this is a digital satellite signal and is never going to give reliable enough signal to the masses. I mean I spend 350.00 on a "listen live" DSR setup and am mowing my lawn listening to a great NFL game and the signal keeps dropping the game I am going to be ticked. That is why I dropped Direct TV. Works for some people does not for others.
RKTURBO6 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #72
roscoryan
Site Editor / Moderator
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
roscoryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 23, 2002
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,811
roscoryan will become famous soon enoughroscoryan will become famous soon enough
Default

From my own opinion, I think this will be the MOST IMPORTANT offering of this most important holiday season for Sirius.

The unit is beautiful, offers advanced functionality in the smallest footprint out there...at a GREAT price point.

The buzz may be about the S50, but this is the most important announcement.
__________________
Visit the NEW community for all things Digital Radio, including SIRIUS:



http://www.DigitalRadioCentral.com
roscoryan is offline  
 
 
Old 08-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #73
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTURBO6
You know you are the man here, But I disagree with you on this one. You have had great reception with yours and thats great. I can tell you I had terrible reception with mine. How is a different antenna going to improve reception of a line of site type signal? The truth is I have not seen any review done on it that did not comment on the problems with reception. And as I am sure you are well aware of look at the post on the " other " boards about this issue. Better yet ask the retailers which you know I am in everyday what issues they have with it. Matter of fact I was in a BB down here today and an Airware was returned for this reason.
Well let me explain it, the built in antenna IS pretty weak unless you are in a repeater area. But you plug in the headphone/antenna setup and suddenly this thing practically gets the same type reception that it would while in a cradle kit. You are wrong, adding this secondary antenna does indeed improve reception dramatically. Does this mean I can sit in a cave with 5000 lbs of rock on top of me and get reception.. NO, but I can certainly take walks in the park, sit out on the beach, go out on the boat and a variety of other outdoor activities and listen to LIVE content.

I can understand why people bring them back, because most expect they should work right out of the box. They aren't aware that these headphone/antenna setup are NOW available. XM and Delphi dropped the ball on this from the start. Delphi has finally gotten smart and started including them on some versions of the Myfi packages. I bought a Myfi and returned it for reception issues as well, so I fully understand, but once the Pioneer Airware came out and I tried it again. This time also buying the $30 add on headphone/antenna setup and I am totally happy with it in regards to reception. The problem isn't that the tuners are bad, the problem is that XM didn't do a very good job of providing the right type antenna for acceptable reception in areas where there are no repeaters. None of these XM2GO tuners are perfect, I have my own set of bones to pick with them, but with the headphone/antenna reception isn't one of them. Have you actually used yours with the headphone/antenna or are you just assuming it doesn't make any difference? Because your assumption and my real time experience don't match at all.

The S50 is no doubt going to be a cool setup and I am sure many will buy it because with 50 hours that is a lot of time to be able to listen to whatever you decide to record for yourself. I am still debating rather I am going this route or not, because like many others I prefer live to recorded, though I don't mind having some recorded content for those times when I am in areas where there is no signal possible. Though clearly the antenna/headphone setup has proven to me that reception is possible in many areas I thought it was not previously. For those folks that want the ability to listen live while on the go this isn't going to be the product for them. However, with that said this product certainly has its place and I am very impressed with what this unit offers especially in regards to the big color display and overall looks.

The thing is that for all the complaints you see with reception in regards to the XM2GO products XM has still sold a hell of a lot of them. They will continue to do so and now that they finally got wise and started including the headphone/antenna. I think returns will go down big time because the out of the package experience will improved dramatically. The main returns you'll see now are those that hate wearing headphones and just won't accept reception that way. In my experience I have found very few places where I can't get a signal with either my home cradle, car cradle or the headphone/antenna setup. There ARE places that you can't (which would be true of a PNP as well) and so the ability to have some recorded content is GREAT! But do I want to have all recorded content with no ability whatsoever to be able to listen live while say I am out on the boat, sitting on the beach or taking a walk as I do now? So folks that want live have a valid complaint with this product, but again clearly this product wasn't meant to compete with the XM2GO product line, which in my opinion still gives XM the edge. Now one has to decide is recorded only content enough or do I just wait till the real portable with live reception comes along? Honestly that is where I am leaning, but that doesn't take away from the S50 at all, it is a personal preference. Everyone will have to make their own decision, but again I am not knocking the S50, but by the same token I can't knock the XM2GO's which gives me the best of both worlds (live and recorded).

Once this thing hits the stores shelves and we actually see it, we may just have to get one and the ability not to be able to go live while its portable may not be a big deal at all. We'll see how subscribers react to it.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 AM   #74
Sirius_Rich
Top Dog Member

3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
Sirius_Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 28, 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,364
Sirius_Rich has a spectacular aura aboutSirius_Rich has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Sirius_Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Sirius_Rich 3G Preview: Starmate Replay
Default

I love the Radio Classics, they are not live by the way. I can't wait to get an s50 so I can load up on this channel for those times I'm not in my car or at home. Airports, hotels and rental cars will be entertaining agian.

I remember buying this content on cassettes (when cassettes first came out) and going to sleep listing to the Green Hornet, Flash Gordon, Macabre Theater, Journey into Space, Radio City Playhouse, Amos and Andy and many others. I listened to these show while live on the radio and no way to record them. The potential recordings from Sirius content is almost endless.
__________________

LISTENING 100% COMMERCIAL FREE SINCE '03
Sirius_Rich is offline  
 
 
Old 08-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #75
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
3G Preview: Starmate Replay
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

There are several programs that I can think of it would be great to record. Like I said I think this baby has a great potential even if it doesn't do live on the go. The more I look at it and think about it the more I like it.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.