Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Radios & Receivers This is the place to talk about all the high-tech SIRIUS radios: Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Alpine, Audiovox, Sony, XACT, and more!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #256
ValpoMan
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Oct 07, 2005
Posts: 3
ValpoMan is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply

Guess I won't be getting the S50 then..

Monte
ValpoMan is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #257
petteri
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 31, 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33317
Posts: 340
petteri is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to petteri
Default

Does the S50 have the tuner chip inside the unit itself? I ask this because if not, where is the ESN number, in the docking kits? Since you cannot listen "live" could you have more than one S50 but only one home/car kit, and thus only one subscription but a few ways to listen at a time, but not live? If the tuner chip is inside the unit itself then I really think we will see a "live" portable sooner rather than later.
__________________
Peter
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA


petteri is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #258
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petteri
Does the S50 have the tuner chip inside the unit itself? I ask this because if not, where is the ESN number, in the docking kits? Since you cannot listen "live" could you have more than one S50 but only one home/car kit, and thus only one subscription but a few ways to listen at a time, but not live? If the tuner chip is inside the unit itself then I really think we will see a "live" portable sooner rather than later.
Inside the S50 itself, otherwise you would need a chipset inside the home kit and one inside the car kit. This would also require more than one subscription. I am not sure how they are doing this, but just on the surface I feel the chipset is in the S50 and not the cradle kits with all the electronics beyond the chipset in the cradle kits. What do you technical gurus think?
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #259
davejulien
Sirius Star
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,314
davejulien is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Inside the S50 itself, otherwise you would need a chipset inside the home kit and one inside the car kit. This would also require more than one subscription. I am not sure how they are doing this, but just on the surface I feel the chipset is in the S50 and not the cradle kits with all the electronics beyond the chipset in the cradle kits. What do you technical gurus think?
Gotta be. No other way around this.
davejulien is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #260
Scorpion
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Nov 23, 2003
Posts: 255
Scorpion is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
I feel the chipset is in the S50 and not the cradle kits with all the electronics beyond the chipset in the cradle kits.
Right, the portion of the chipset with the ESN must be in the S50. And all the RF components related to the tuner section are likely located in the cradles. Partitioning the design in this manner allows for a extremely small player section. But, it also means there's no way of hacking in a antenna connection.
Scorpion is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #261
Sirius_Rich
Top Dog Member

SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
Sirius_Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 28, 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,364
Sirius_Rich has a spectacular aura aboutSirius_Rich has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Sirius_Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Sirius_Rich SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Right, the portion of the chipset with the ESN must be in the S50.
And it is!
__________________

LISTENING 100% COMMERCIAL FREE SINCE '03
Sirius_Rich is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #262
robdam
Sirius Star
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
robdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 27, 2005
Location: CT USA
Posts: 1,219
robdam will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to robdam
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoMan
Thanks for the reply

Guess I won't be getting the S50 then..

Monte
What is the difference between listening "Live" or listening "recorded"? I mean, what's the big deal? Am I missing something here? The only person who knows if it's "Live" or recorded is the person listening! I would *think* that it sounds EXACTLY the same if "live" or recorded. It kinda cracks me up when I read these posts about peeps saying that they would only buy the S50 if it had "live" capability. They're so disappointed in Sirius cuz the S50 doesn't have portable "live" content. I'm so confused! Anywho, the S50 appears to be just what the doctor ordered for this nOOb. I already pre-ordered this sucka.
robdam is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #263
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

There is live programming such as football games, talk programs etc that people want to be able to hear when they are happening, not recorded for later listening. For music this is no big deal, but not everyone gets sat radio for music.

I can see it from both angles myself and would have prefered the S50 being able to do live reception on the go. I think it is such a big deal that many won't buy it because of it.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #264
robdam
Sirius Star
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
robdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 27, 2005
Location: CT USA
Posts: 1,219
robdam will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to robdam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
I think it is such a big deal that many won't buy it because of it.
I totally agree.
robdam is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #265
leavenfish
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2005
Posts: 54
leavenfish is on a distinguished road
Default

My beef with the S50 is that there is no recording device in the cradle.

Let me explain: There are so many programs I would like to listen to at work but can not because of the roof. So, my option is to record the programs at home and listen to them the next day. That's HALF my work days that I will not have the unit at work because it has to be at home recording!

A logical solution would have been for the home cradle to have the means to RECORD, if only a few hours worth of programming, then when you get home, you can transfer programming to the S50 player.

In short, I think it's a nice idea...just could have been thought thru better.

---Leavenfish
leavenfish is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #266
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

leavenfish, reception is a whole other issue and I think short of them increasing repeaters this will always be a problem. Even if we had a personal repeater, you still need to get an antenna outside in order to pull the reception to the repeater.

The botton line is there is just no perfect solution and that includes the XM2GO tuners. Having memory in the base for recording would be one solution, but would of course add the cost of an already over priced unit.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #267
leavenfish
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2005
Posts: 54
leavenfish is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
leavenfish, reception is a whole other issue and I think short of them increasing repeaters this will always be a problem. Even if we had a personal repeater, you still need to get an antenna outside in order to pull the reception to the repeater.

The botton line is there is just no perfect solution and that includes the XM2GO tuners. Having memory in the base for recording would be one solution, but would of course add the cost of an already over priced unit.
Not sure why you seem to think I'm talking about reception...

As for memory in the base...you would not need much to make it practical as it would just be a fall back for situations when you have your S50 on the go (what it's designed for after all!!) and therefore can not listen live or record live content for later listening--like the every day situation I described which will happen for most people. Besides, for $349 + $100 (home base) = $449 SURELY a little memory in the base could have been included. Afterall, if people are expected to pay more for this than any other unit availble, Sirius certainly should have found a way to make it as versitile as possible!

---Leavenfish
leavenfish is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #268
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish
Not sure why you seem to think I'm talking about reception...
Becuase you said this in your previous post.

Let me explain: There are so many programs I would like to listen to at work but can not because of the roof.

Are you saying this has nothing to do with the roof blocking your reception and ability to listen live?

I understand your suggest, I would personally have no need for it and again think it would just add to the cost of an already over priced setup. I think most of us will figure out our own way of using it, but I am almost not willing to pay the current price as are a lot of other people. Adding another $20 to $50 for the feature you want would kill it for me and I know I am not alone.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #269
leavenfish
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2005
Posts: 54
leavenfish is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish
Not sure why you seem to think I'm talking about reception...
Becuase you said this in your previous post.

Let me explain: There are so many programs I would like to listen to at work but can not because of the roof.

Are you saying this has nothing to do with the roof blocking your reception and ability to listen live?

I understand your suggest, I would personally have no need for it and again think it would just add to the cost of an already over priced setup. I think most of us will figure out our own way of using it, but I am almost not willing to pay the current price as are a lot of other people. Adding another $20 to $50 for the feature you want would kill it for me and I know I am not alone.
But I'm not really talking about reception problems because they are a given in many workplaces (unless maybe you have a window seat!).

I so find it hard to belive that if someone was ponying up $469 (including the home base) that adding the $20 you mention to bring it to $489 would somehow be a deal breaker. Regardles, I think if Sirius had specified that the maker include some small amount of memory in the base to record programs when you have the S50 away (the thing is supposed to be 'portable' after all...) from the home unit, that they could not do so within the confines of that total price.

I think the fact is that people who would take their S50 with them to work are simply missing over 1/3 of a day of programming because the S50 will not be at home to record it. That someone did not think of this and see the simple solution is beyond me.
leavenfish is offline  
 
 
Old 10-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #270
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish
But I'm not really talking about reception problems because they are a given in many workplaces (unless maybe you have a window seat!).
All I could go by is what you wrote and so I did and that was my reply.

Quote:
I so find it hard to belive that if someone was ponying up $469 (including the home base) that adding the $20 you mention to bring it to $489 would somehow be a deal breaker.
It is your opinion that it would only add $20.00, but there is no way to really know this. But your point is really moot because the Sirius Chipset is in the S50 NOT the cradle. Without the S50 the cradle is useless. Did you really think the cradle would pick up a Sirius signal while you have the S50 with you? No it doesn't work that way. How do you think you can use the S50 in the home and car cradle? It is very simple because the Sirius Chipset is in the S50. In order to do what you want to do they would need to have the chipset in the cradle kits and each cradle kit rather a home or car kit would each require a subscription. So your memory in the cradle idea just wouldn't work in the current design, so it would require a total redesign and YES it would be a heck of a lot more than $20.00 added to the current cost, not to mention multiple subscriptions.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.