Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Radios & Receivers This is the place to talk about all the high-tech SIRIUS radios: Kenwood, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC, Alpine, Audiovox, Sony, XACT, and more!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 10-14-2005, 11:11 PM   #331
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinequal
Does the unit have the capability to transmit to an FM station on it's own, or does it have to be docked in the car/home cradle?
It is my understanding that only the car kit will offer FM Trans, but hopefully I am wrong about that. It seems to me this is the type electronics that they moved into the cradle kits in order to make the S50 as small as possible.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 PM   #332
Rabbit73
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: May 24, 2005
Posts: 172
Rabbit73 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinequal
Does the unit have the capability to transmit to an FM station on it's own, or does it have to be docked in the car/home cradle?
It is my understanding that only the car kit will offer FM Trans, but hopefully I am wrong about that. It seems to me this is the type electronics that they moved into the cradle kits in order to make the S50 as small as possible.
The FM transmitter is built into the car dock. it will have fm transmitter presets like the starmate replay.
Rabbit73 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #333
taxinvestor
Rocket Scientist
 
taxinvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 751
taxinvestor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions, Questions

If S50 is made by Directed, why no info on their website?

Why on earth would 9 accessories be included in the kit with the unit, but the arm band is sold separately? Is that the secret plan - to make a mint on arm bands?

Is that a car mount or a corkscrew on sirius site?

Wondering why there has been no national print or media marketing? "A gig like that, you gotta prepare the proper exploitation." Especially for such a high end piece.

Anyone else getting the vibe this thing won't be around until after Thanksgiving?

Not a sermon, just some thoughts...


taxinvestor is offline  
 
 
Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #334
Manco
Top Dog Member
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
Manco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 30, 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 15,450
Manco will become famous soon enoughManco will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxinvestor
Anyone else getting the vibe this thing won't be around until after Thanksgiving?

Not a sermon, just some thoughts...
I expect it to be arriving end of the month, but filling stores leading up to Thanksgiving. There isn't any sense in starting the advertising until product is on the shelf.
Manco is offline  
 
 
Old 10-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #335
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxinvestor
If S50 is made by Directed, why no info on their website?

Why on earth would 9 accessories be included in the kit with the unit, but the arm band is sold separately? Is that the secret plan - to make a mint on arm bands?

Is that a car mount or a corkscrew on sirius site?

Wondering why there has been no national print or media marketing? "A gig like that, you gotta prepare the proper exploitation." Especially for such a high end piece.

Anyone else getting the vibe this thing won't be around until after Thanksgiving?

Not a sermon, just some thoughts...
Sirius has made a heckuva lot more info available beforehand on the S50, than XM has with the NeXus.

I'm confident we'll see the S50 by Halloween.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #336
davejulien
Sirius Star
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,314
davejulien is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I'm confident we'll see the S50 by Halloween.
I'm still waiting to see a real hands-on review. Has anyone seen this yet?
davejulien is offline  
 
 
Old 10-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #337
taxinvestor
Rocket Scientist
 
taxinvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 751
taxinvestor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man

Sirius has made a heckuva lot more info available beforehand on the S50, than XM has with the NeXus.

I'm confident we'll see the S50 by Halloween.
Yes, about the same amount of publicity as for the Rego.
taxinvestor is offline  
 
 
Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #338
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejulien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I'm confident we'll see the S50 by Halloween.
I'm still waiting to see a real hands-on review. Has anyone seen this yet?
No one has it yet to give a hands-on review, although I'm sure some really lucky people have test units. Later this month.
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #339
koltseavers
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Jun 26, 2005
Posts: 9
koltseavers is on a distinguished road
Default

What turns me off about this unit is the mount...its too long! I hope that it can be mounted in the cradle only, so that it could be mounted on a vent...
koltseavers is offline  
 
 
Old 10-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #340
davejulien
Sirius Star
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,314
davejulien is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO
No one has it yet to give a hands-on review, although I'm sure some really lucky people have test units. Later this month.
I'm seriously considering getting the S50 but I won't do it blindly. I can't believe it's so close to it's release and there is no review yet. Something makes me think there may be some undesirable issue with the unit that we don't know yet. 10 more days!
davejulien is offline  
 
 
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #341
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Questions, Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejulien
I'm seriously considering getting the S50 but I won't do it blindly. I can't believe it's so close to it's release and there is no review yet. Something makes me think there may be some undesirable issue with the unit that we don't know yet. 10 more days!
Sirius has never released these unit and allowed reviews until available. So, this is not uncommon, nor does it mean anything. You are reading way, way too much into there being no review.

What Sirius Sat Tuner have you seen a review on before it was available for purchase at retailers? I've been around for 4 years now and I've not seen a one.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #342
jimboxlax
Backstage Blogger

SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
jimboxlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2003
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 2,086
jimboxlax is on a distinguished road
Default

Whats the closest thing Sirius has coming out like XM's My-Fi?

My friend loves his My Fi, and its a nifty little thing, but I'd rather have the Sirius content on the same type of device.

I thought the S50 was what i was looking for until the other day when i realized that the S50 isn't "live" portable... Saving shows to the radio just wont work for me since I'm too lazy and disorganized to actually do it...
__________________
Richard and the Young Lions? Ducky Boys? Fordham Baldies? If this garage band or bronx gangs of the 50's and 60's mean anything to you, check out Lantern-Media.com to find out more about them!
jimboxlax is offline  
 
 
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #343
xanadu1979
Mixologist
 
xanadu1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 31, 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 391
xanadu1979 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboxlax
Whats the closest thing Sirius has coming out like XM's My-Fi?

My friend loves his My Fi, and its a nifty little thing, but I'd rather have the Sirius content on the same type of device.

I thought the S50 was what i was looking for until the other day when i realized that the S50 isn't "live" portable... Saving shows to the radio just wont work for me since I'm too lazy and disorganized to actually do it...
The S50 is the closest thing. They aren't coming out with a "live" portable, not any time soon that is. Maybe next X-mas?
xanadu1979 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #344
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
SIRIUS Unveils S50 Color Wearable Satellite Radio
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu1979
The S50 is the closest thing. They aren't coming out with a "live" portable, not any time soon that is. Maybe next X-mas?
I am not so sure your statement is true. I still think Sirius will have a live portable much sooner than anyone thinks.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-21-2005, 12:06 AM   #345
RKTURBO6
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Tampa
Posts: 275
RKTURBO6 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have been trying for a little while now to just read the post and not say to much because my views are heavily biased for obvious reasons. That said I have seen a good # of comments on here that are just plain way off base.

1. When Sirius first announced this unit they said that it would be out to the retail stores around this time. Other than the Rego they have always been pretty spot on about getting product out when they said. I all I can say about the S50 is they will again.

2. I HAVE spent some time with this unit and all I can say is ....... WOW

3. The XM lovers over here complaining about it should take note of XM's 2 newest products. Are they listen live devices? The Nexus and the Dell which they have ........... Oh wait maybe they just were HOPING they could get it to the stores anytime in the near future. This XM vaporware was to compete head to head (with less features) than the S50. So maybe the 20%+ return rate of the Myfi's had something to do with the decision to make (or at least try) products that compete with the S50.

4. As far as having seperate accesories for the S50 all I can say is think I-pod or MP3 player. It comes with as many as any other PNP DSR unit and gets you started in the home with the AC adapter and USB cable as well as a belt clip. The I-Pod and most every other MP3 type device comes with pretty much nothing. So does the I-Pod come with an arm band?

Bottom line, This little guy is far smaller than ANY other PNP DSR unit. Price, well as you can already see 359.99-329.99 before any other discounts. What did the Myfi come in at? Yeah the Myfi is a sweet unit but its goofy 5hr all or nothing recording/erase feature, much larger size, weaker display, no MP3, Hit or miss live reception (Of course this is helped a little if I go spend even MORE $ on ANOTHER antenna) and if there was a rebate or something you could almost get the S50 and the home kit for less than the Myfi was when it came out.

So the XM homers should go and write a letter to Hugh and ask why they did not have any REAL new products or programming for the biggest selling season in DSR history. And why they are going to get beat to death in the retail even worse than they had already had nightmares about.

RKTURBO6 is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.