Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe Crank up the music on your SIRIUS radio, grab a seat at the bar and let's talk SIRIUS.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #31
semipenguin
Sirius Star
Improve Sirius sound quality!
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Default Air Conditioning

DaJoker, you're allowed to vent.

I must say, that I just recently put my Starmate in the truck, and I have to use the cassette adapter because I can't stand to have to change the channels when I come into a strong FM signal place.

I do think that my XM Skyfi sounds better then my Sirius Starmate. I have to turn the volume up when I use the Starmate.

I don't listen to the Skyfi anymore, except when there's a race on and the morning NASCAR Talk Show.
__________________
duane...
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #32
cornflakeguy
Loyal Listener
 
cornflakeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 18, 2004
Posts: 127
cornflakeguy is on a distinguished road
Default

So you are saying that if sound quality got better tomorrow, you'd ask to have it stay the same as today on your system because dog gone it, it's good enough right now. Who cares about how good it sounds?!


Oh well I guess you're right. Why try to change things for the better from the inside. I should just cancel my sub and BitTorrent the eventual recordings that will be made of Howards show every day.


$12.95 for 4 hours of radio a day is stupid. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

cfg
cornflakeguy is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM   #33
semipenguin
Sirius Star
Improve Sirius sound quality!
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Default spilled milk

cfg, did someone wiz in your Wheaties this morning?
__________________
duane...
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 AM   #34
HarleyJoel
Top Dog Member
Improve Sirius sound quality!
 
HarleyJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 25, 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,843
HarleyJoel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to HarleyJoel Send a message via AIM to HarleyJoel Send a message via MSN to HarleyJoel Send a message via Yahoo to HarleyJoel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
I think it will get worse. Sirius cannot change the codec, even if a more effective one is invented, because none of the existing receivers will be able to support it.
Sirius can absolutely change the codec and they have numerous times with every receiver able to update to the new codec. I don't know if they intend to increase quality or not though. Their plans for video have not been announced but I doubt they will lower sound quality to get it. I've heard numerous systems that sound great - mine included but I didn't just go buy a Starmate and put my stereo on 88.1. No offense to anyone but I do not care for the Starmate. Compared to other units, I found it to have poorer sound quality than many others and I don't consider it a true "plug and play" when you have to unplug wires from the unit. That's just my take though and I can see how this is frustrating people.
__________________
Joel

HarleyJoel is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #35
HarleyJoel
Top Dog Member
Improve Sirius sound quality!
 
HarleyJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 25, 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,843
HarleyJoel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to HarleyJoel Send a message via AIM to HarleyJoel Send a message via MSN to HarleyJoel Send a message via Yahoo to HarleyJoel
Default Re: spilled milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipenguin
cfg, did someone wiz in your Wheaties this morning?
He doesn't eat Wheaties. He likes Corn Flakes. (couldn't resist)
__________________
Joel

HarleyJoel is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #36
MixxMaster
Loyal Listener
 
MixxMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 23, 2005
Posts: 110
MixxMaster is on a distinguished road
Default

I am very optomistic that the quality can and will be improved soon. With the technology constantly changing, I feel that this will happen, maybe the older chipsets won't be supported, or maybe even an optional piece of hardware will eventually be needed, but I am confident that something will happen to those desiring High-Quality sound, without having to go to HD Radio...
__________________
MixxMaster is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #37
semipenguin
Sirius Star
Improve Sirius sound quality!
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Default Re: spilled milk

I have to use a Starmate for my truck. I really don't have the knowledge or the $$$ to use anything else. I like being able to take it out and use it at home, anyways.

This is better then having to find a radio station every hundred miles or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyJoel
He doesn't eat Wheaties. He likes Corn Flakes. (couldn't resist)
I couldn't resist, either.
I hope cfg doesn't get mad.
__________________
duane...
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #38
BRH
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 17, 2003
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 684
BRH is on a distinguished road
Default

Sorry my opinion differs, but I am still very happy with the sound quality I get from my Sirius unit. (I have a PNP2 with cassette adapter and it sounds perfect to me). I do flip back to FM from time to time, and personally I prefer the "brighter", "crisper" sound of Sirius over FM in my area. FM sounds muffled compared to Sirius. Granted, Sirius may distort occasionally on higher sounds, but that's ok with me because overall it sounds louder and crisper and I personally like it much better than FM.
But anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it still all comes down to CONTENT. That's my #1 concern in satellite radio. Also, as far as comparing it to IPOD's and MP3's. Well, I have an IPOD and it often distorts very badly on loud songs (like my dance tracks), and Sirius doesn't do this. I don't know why, but I have a lot of MP3/AAC files that distort and over modulate on my IPOD.
So anyway, on my scale, content is a 10 and sound quality, hardware, etc. is probably a 3 or 4 (as far as importance goes). Sure, I would love to have better equipment and better sound, but never at the expense of more content.
BRH is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #39
Jayg27
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 104
Jayg27 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I am always surprised when the issue of sound quality comes up, most people here turn into Sirius Apologists and decry that Sirius sounds better than Fm.

It doesn't.

I'm not a Sirius Apologist, but you're wrong. But let me qualify that statement. Technically speaking you are correct, FM sounds better because it isn't a compressed digital signal. But for many people (myself included) that live far from the FM transmitters, Sirius sounds better because they get clear reception with no static. It's as simple as that, so FUNCTIONALLY Sirius sounds better for me than FM radio does.

Furthermore, tell me how the FM reception is on your local Jam Band station where ever you are. It sucks doesn't it? Oh that's right there IS NO local Jam Band FM station by you.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kenwood SR2-903 with an Excelon x579
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Jayg27 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #40
TeataCleez
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Aug 28, 2005
Posts: 6
TeataCleez is on a distinguished road
Default What I've learned

Well, looks like the majority of people posting here are happy enough with the way Sirius sounds, and would not want to give up any channels to possibly increase sound quality with the fewer remaining channels.


Thanks for all the informative post.

And hurry up Howard Stern!
TeataCleez is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #41
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoker
*yawn* Doesn't this topic get tired? Bottom line, if it doesn't sound good, don't buy it. There are plenty of folks who are perfectly happy with the sound, don't notice the imperfections, or those who quite frankly don't care. You want to have Sirius do something about it? Cancel your sub. Send em a message.

But no, you won't, because you are here for the content, and like the variety that Sirius provides, and it's better than the crap that plays on your local FM dial. Quite the predicament ain't it?

Sorry folks, just had to vent.. this topic and the one of "Sirius doesn't work in my concrete bunker of a basement and they need to fix it" just get old after a while.
Well said, Joker. Doesn't sound like you're venting at all, just making some accurate and concise observations.

You could've also mentioned around-the-clock music with no commercials and lame three-hour morning shows.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 03:45 PM   #42
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX WJ
With a direct connection in my truck (factory installed) Sirius sounds as good as FM.
I agree. A direct connection makes all the difference in the world.

And if you're on a long road trip, you don't have to worry about static and losing the channel. You can drive from Portland, Maine to Los Angeles without ever changing the channel.

Let's see the critics do that with their favorite FM station.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #43
Arthur Dent
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: May 08, 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 134
Arthur Dent is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX WJ
With a direct connection in my truck (factory installed) Sirius sounds as good as FM.
I agree. A direct connection makes all the difference in the world.

And if you're on a long road trip, you don't have to worry about static and losing the channel. You can drive from Portland, Maine to Los Angeles without ever changing the channel.

Let's see the critics do that with their favorite FM station.
I don't get you, guys. This thread's topic is "Sound quality". Why do you keep the discussion off-topic with "content", "this stream not available in my area on FM", "it's good enough for me" and so on?
Sound quality on Sirius is bad, worse than FM. Because of low bitrate and resulting digital distortion. The better the head unit or the home stereo system, the better you hear the distortion. If you have direct connect, you will hear it. If you use FM adaptor, you will hear it too plus more crippled sound coming from the cheap FM analog transmitter added to the chain.
Your opinion ("it's good enough for me") doesn't change a bit the fact that Sirius sound quality is worse than FM! Stop spreading incorrect info!
Arthur Dent is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #44
Jayg27
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 104
Jayg27 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX WJ
With a direct connection in my truck (factory installed) Sirius sounds as good as FM.
I agree. A direct connection makes all the difference in the world.

And if you're on a long road trip, you don't have to worry about static and losing the channel. You can drive from Portland, Maine to Los Angeles without ever changing the channel.

Let's see the critics do that with their favorite FM station.
I don't get you, guys. This thread's topic is "Sound quality". Why do you keep the discussion off-topic with "content", "this stream not available in my area on FM", "it's good enough for me" and so on?
Sound quality on Sirius is bad, worse than FM. Because of low bitrate and resulting digital distortion. The better the head unit or the home stereo system, the better you hear the distortion. If you have direct connect, you will hear it. If you use FM adaptor, you will hear it too plus more crippled sound coming from the cheap FM analog transmitter added to the chain.
Your opinion ("it's good enough for me") doesn't change a bit the fact that Sirius sound quality is worse than FM! Stop spreading incorrect info!
Under the best conditions FM sound quality is better than satellite. Most people here aren't denying that. But since content and sound quality are inversely proportional, it is far from "off-topic."

Once again, FM sound quality means nothing if you're not in the optimal receving area; otherwise a record player will sound better.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kenwood SR2-903 with an Excelon x579
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Jayg27 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #45
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX WJ
With a direct connection in my truck (factory installed) Sirius sounds as good as FM.
I agree. A direct connection makes all the difference in the world.

And if you're on a long road trip, you don't have to worry about static and losing the channel. You can drive from Portland, Maine to Los Angeles without ever changing the channel.

Let's see the critics do that with their favorite FM station.
I don't get you, guys. This thread's topic is "Sound quality". Why do you keep the discussion off-topic with "content", "this stream not available in my area on FM", "it's good enough for me" and so on?
Sound quality on Sirius is bad, worse than FM. Because of low bitrate and resulting digital distortion. The better the head unit or the home stereo system, the better you hear the distortion. If you have direct connect, you will hear it. If you use FM adaptor, you will hear it too plus more crippled sound coming from the cheap FM analog transmitter added to the chain.
Your opinion ("it's good enough for me") doesn't change a bit the fact that Sirius sound quality is worse than FM! Stop spreading incorrect info!
Hey Arthur.

I clearly mentioned static and channel fadeout, which definitely involves sound quality, not content.

Try to get your facts straight before posting. Thanks.

If you're a Sirius subscriber and aren't satisified with the sound quality, then you are certainly free to discontinue the service.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.