Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe Crank up the music on your SIRIUS radio, grab a seat at the bar and let's talk SIRIUS.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #16
sternfanny
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2005
Posts: 33
sternfanny is on a distinguished road
Default

How is downloading MP3s of Howard Stern - one month after they were aired on Sirius, stealing from them? I am not stealing a live stream, I am downloading something that is not being offered for sale by Sirius. If Sirius offered some sort of Podcast sale Itunes Music Store for Stern shows daily, I would buy it. But they dont so my only option is to download them for free. I dont see how getting something for free that has no way of buying it, is stealing. Yes, Sirius does pay Stern's salary but I am not using their satellites, and I am not costing them any extra money by downloading MP3s. Their costs are the same regardless of whether I downloaded or not. If I stole a password or hacked their websteam and stole their bandwitdh, thats another issue.

I purchased a lifetime subscription with the understanding that Sirius would be a constantly changing company, keeping up with the current music of the day. If you had Sirius and in 2020, they were still playing songs from 2006, you would feel cheated out of your lifetime subscription.

Currently, Reggaeton is HUGE! For Sirius to not adapt and make a reggaeton channel (as XM has from my understanding), its cheating me out of my lifetime subscription.

I am not retarded and I realize XM will not honor my contract with Sirius in any way - I was asking about the service being transfered to some one else, not to another service.

Why shouldnt Sirius transfer the lifetime sub? I recently sold my Replay TV (like a TiVo but better) for the same price I paid - because it had $300 lifetime sub on it - and I resold it for $300 (3 years later after the sub paid for itself!) The agreement is that the RTV unit is lifetime activated, and is nontransferrable. RTVs rarely break and are easy to fix so this isnt a problem. RTV doesnt care who owns the RTV unit, lifetime has been paid so it will always work.

Lets say I used 1 of my 3 transfers on my lifetime sub. Sirius should be able to change the billing info to a new person, along with the remaining 2 transfers left on that contract.

Apple makes Macbook laptops. I bought mine with a 12 month warranty and sold it after 6 months to buy a new one. The warranty transfers to the new person - so its warrantied for 6 more months. Apple would have to be jackasses to not honor the warranty regardless of who owned it.

The point of my original post is whether anyone has successfully transfered a lifetime sub to someone else through Customer Service. For them to not offer it (which I suspect they may not) is in poor taste in my opinion. That would mean they tied the lifetime sub to both the unit and the person. It makes sense to tie to the unit to one or the other, but to tie it down to both seems harsh. So if a husband dies 1 month after buying a lifetime sub, the wive isnt entitled to using the unit? Doesnt sound right to me. Make an exception because of circumstances but deny my transfer because its based off distaste of service is unfair.

I also mentioned the reasons why I was disatisified so people would understand my reasoning for leaving. The two main reasons are lack of a dedicated Reggaeton channel and lack of home reciever units. XM has several home units available, Sirius has one but that one unit isnt also a stereo audio reciever. I hate having extra stuff plugged in and wires everywhere and my Sirius Replay looks halfassed on my desk with 3 wires plugged into it and then having to turn on 2 things to listen to the radio. XM has recievers that have it integrated so its 3 less wires, one less button, and 1 less electrical device plugged in to reduce my risk of fire (which is pretty serious considering all the stuff I have plugged in - Cable Modem, Cable Box, Router, TiVo, Xbox, HTPC computer, TV, laptop cord, etc) - anytime I can unplug one thing, I am much happier and feel safer.

Its not my fault Sirius has dropped the ball and has inferior hardware and inferior music offerings.

EDIT: You may ask why is it that I wasted 10 minutes typing this post instead of just calling Sirius to ask them - the last 5 times I called Sirius, the Indian tech support team (go ahead and call me racist, you know you want to) had no idea what was going on (they messed up my lifetime sub when I added the family plan sub) and wasted 30 minutes on 4 occassions over one week for a billing issue that was their fault. Id like to know if its possible before I get frustrated making that call.

Last edited by sternfanny; 12-02-2006 at 06:25 PM..
sternfanny is offline  
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfanny
How is downloading MP3s of Howard Stern - one month after they were aired on Sirius, stealing from them? I am not stealing a live stream, I am downloading something that is not being offered for sale by Sirius. If Sirius offered some sort of Podcast sale Itunes Music Store for Stern shows daily, I would buy it. But they dont so my only option is to download them for free. I dont see how getting something for free that has no way of buying it, is stealing. Yes, Sirius does pay Stern's salary but I am not using their satellites, and I am not costing them any extra money by downloading MP3s. Their costs are the same regardless of whether I downloaded or not. If I stole a password or hacked their websteam and stole their bandwitdh, thats another issue.

You're kidding me? You don't understand why that isn't stealing? You are taking something that was ONLY meant for paying subscribers. They are loosing money because you aren't paying for their service.
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
sternfanny
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2005
Posts: 33
sternfanny is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISO
You're kidding me? You don't understand why that isn't stealing? You are taking something that was ONLY meant for paying subscribers. They are loosing money because you aren't paying for their service.
They arent offering me what I want - MP3s. I cant listen when I am at work, and I want to listen to entire shows, not the replays which more than likely will not be at the spot I stopped listening to.

Sure I "could" buy a S50, but if its home recording stern, then I cant have it in my car listening to the previous days recording. So I would need to buy two... and two subscriptions... yea right.

I just want to load MP3s of stern on my Ipod - which makes them bookmarkable meaning that it automatically remembers the spot I stopped, even if I turn it off or listen to music on the Ipod.

Sirius doesnt sell that so I cant steal it.

For you to say that Sirius wants me to (1) Pay for their service (2) Run several cables from their device to an antenna to my Stereo reciever and then to my Computer is silly. Yes Sirius does offer a webstream only - which I could in theory pay for only that webstream and then record it on my own, but I only use Macs and their Mac online player is horrible when you can get it to work. Even then I have to dedicate my computer for 6 hours each day to this and cant do anything else with it (because the laptop cant move from the wires inputted into it)

Or I could download the MP3s and save myself a ton of hassle (I know what the hassle involves because I have been doing it every day since January). I would pay if they were being sold. But they arent so they are free.

Would it be "right" for me to pay for the service and then download them for free from a 3rd party site? If so, would I have to pay for a real $13 sub or just my $7 family plan, or just a $3 webstream plan? Or how about if I just mail a check for $50 to Sirius each year with a Memo line that says "I downloaded illegal MP3s of your service that you are too stupid to offer so people get for free but I feel bad so heres a random amount of money that its worth to me"

I dont mind paying for it, but its not offered.

If Sirius offered me a $500 hoem stereo reciever/tuner built in, I would buy it.

If Siruis offered a special $3 extra per month premium Reggaeton channel, I would pay for it.
sternfanny is offline  
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #19
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Can you sell lifetime sub?  Transferable? Then moving to XM?
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Let me get this straight... you purchased a lifetime plan at the time with the channels and offering they had it apparently appeared worth it. Now because of your expectations that they should give you exactly what you want, suddenly the lifetime plan has no value and so it is okay for you to steal. Look, you can slice it, you can dice it, you rationalize it and you can justify it, but the fact of that matter is if you steal it you are a freaking thief. I'd be willing to pay for it if they offered it is no excuse!

It's like a store getting a new product and because they dont have a price on it and it isn't being sold yet, that means you can just pick one up and walk out the store with it. Because what you are doing is no different.

Sirius has stern available, you just don't like the manner in which you have to record it. So, YES it is for sale and YES if you download it off the net for free, you're stealing!
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox

Last edited by DAB; 12-02-2006 at 07:43 PM..
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #20
memebag
Sirius Star
Can you sell lifetime sub?  Transferable? Then moving to XM?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfanny
They arent offering me what I want - MP3s.
You can record the Sirius internet stream to MP3 files. Google will show you how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfanny
Sirius doesnt sell that so I cant steal it.
Sirius sells the content. Regardless of what format you want or get, if you don't pay Sirius then you are stealing it.

Your argument is as silly as saying Porsche doesn't sell a car with curb feelers, so you're justified in attaching them and then stealing the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinefanny
Yes Sirius does offer a webstream only - which I could in theory pay for only that webstream and then record it on my own, but I only use Macs and their Mac online player is horrible when you can get it to work. Even then I have to dedicate my computer for 6 hours each day to this and cant do anything else with it (because the laptop cant move from the wires inputted into it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamefanny
If Sirius offered me a $500 hoem stereo reciever/tuner built in, I would buy it.
Buy a PC (for less than $500) and set it up as a dedicated recorder (since your Mac can't cut it.) Or just record at night while you sleep. They repeat the show all day long.
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #21
elistoughton
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY/Media, PA
Posts: 790
elistoughton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to elistoughton Send a message via MSN to elistoughton
Default

Sirius has home tuners, http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1066068011203
__________________
Lifetime Subscriber
elistoughton is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
johnnyfever78
Rocket Scientist
 
johnnyfever78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2005
Posts: 532
johnnyfever78 is on a distinguished road
Default

thats ok mine sounds good enough ..dont have a couple of hundred bucks lying around
__________________
The Osmonds' split up, Donny Osmond has been awarded custody of the teeth

johnnyfever78 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #23
elistoughton
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY/Media, PA
Posts: 790
elistoughton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to elistoughton Send a message via MSN to elistoughton
Default

I think the bigger question that I don't think has really been answered is can a lifetime sub be transferred to another person. For instance if I were to buy a used receiver with a lifetime sub could I then have it in my name and eventually (as I think most people would want to do), switch it to another newer unit. Because the ability to do that would make the old unit + lifetime sub a whole lot more valuable.
__________________
Lifetime Subscriber
elistoughton is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 AM   #24
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Can you sell lifetime sub?  Transferable? Then moving to XM?
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistoughton
I think the bigger question that I don't think has really been answered is can a lifetime sub be transferred to another person. For instance if I were to buy a used receiver with a lifetime sub could I then have it in my name and eventually (as I think most people would want to do), switch it to another newer unit. Because the ability to do that would make the old unit + lifetime sub a whole lot more valuable.
My understanding is that you can't transfer the lifetime subscription to another person. If you simply don't want it anymore you can get a prorated refund, less the $75.00 early termination fee.

You can transfer your subscription to another tuner, you can do this 3 times @ $75.00 each time. Also if you have your tuner stolen, with a police report they will allow you to change it without it using one of your 3 transfers. If your tuner is defective and you have a warranty on it, they will allow you to do a transfer to a new tuner, but it must be under warranty. I am sure they require proof. This also will not use one of your 3 transfers. I personally think their policy is pretty generous.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #25
gumbyandpokie999
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Aug 20, 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,322
gumbyandpokie999 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gumbyandpokie999 Send a message via MSN to gumbyandpokie999 Send a message via Yahoo to gumbyandpokie999
Default Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfanny
Is there any way to sell a lifetime sub to someone?

I got mine 12 months ago to listen to Howard Stern but as it turns out, I never listen to him in my car on my actual radio because I have a second 'family plan' unit in my home that I record it to my computer and then play it off my Ipod.

So really I am paying for the music only since I dont listen to Howard Stern in the car. From what I hear, XM actually has better music - supposedly having a full time Reggaeton channel and a better selection of alternative and hiphop stations (my 3 main types of music).

I am thinking of jumping ship (getting my Stern MP3s off the internet for free) and going with XM for their music.

Is this possible or am I pretty much screwed since I already spent the $500
You arent a stern fan at all if you download his material for free!
Wake up !And obviously you arent a sirius fan either.....
You THINK youre getting anything for free if you already paid the 500?
I think youre screwing yourself by wanting to give up the lifetime.
Oh just wait until you hear Xm's sound quality.....You'll wanna shoot yourself in the foot.
__________________

Last edited by gumbyandpokie999; 12-03-2006 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: add
gumbyandpokie999 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
rustytrombone
Sirius Star
 
rustytrombone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Posts: 2,880
rustytrombone is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey guys, I was thinking of selling my car for a bike and just "using" my neighbor's car when I need one. How do I hotwire a toyota?
__________________
Make you humble

bust'n heads with:
(3) S50s
Sportster Replay
Sportster 4
(2)InV
Stratus
rustytrombone is offline  
 
 
Old 12-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #27
roger2001
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Aug 11, 2005
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 310
roger2001 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternfanny
Sirius doesnt sell that so I cant steal it.
Coke doesnt offer 3 liter bottles, so does that mean if I go in and take as many 2 liters with out paying its ok because I really want the 3 liter bottle?

Their product is the content not the delivery, so taking mp3's and not paying for it, yes would be stealing. Why havent you called or written them and suggested this?
roger2001 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #28
mpwarder
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Jan 23, 2006
Posts: 8
mpwarder is on a distinguished road
Default

If everyone did as you said, Sirius would cease to exist. Does this help you understand how those MP3's are stealing?
mpwarder is offline  
 
 
Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #29
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Default Sirius Cancellation

From Sirius TERMS & CONDITIONS:
"b) Your Cancellation. You may cancel your Subscription at any time by notifying Customer Care. This notice will become effective at the end of your billing cycle. If you cancel your Subscription prior to the expiration of a prepaid Subscription (that is not a lifetime Subscription), you will receive a refund of amounts you may have prepaid on a quarterly, annual or multi-year basis representing those months beyond the billing cycle month during which you cancelled your Subscription. Month-to-month Subscriptions and Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. If your Subscription was included in the financing of your purchase or lease of a vehicle, any refund will be payable to your finance company unless the finance company has notified us that your loan has been paid in full. In addition, if you cancel your Subscription prior to the expiration of a prepaid subscription or committed subscription period, you may be charged a cancellation fee as described in Section 5. Service credits will not be refunded in cash, but will be honored in the form of service for the remaining length of the credit."
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #30
rustytrombone
Sirius Star
 
rustytrombone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Posts: 2,880
rustytrombone is on a distinguished road
Default

can we lock this now.
__________________
Make you humble

bust'n heads with:
(3) S50s
Sportster Replay
Sportster 4
(2)InV
Stratus
rustytrombone is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question not yet asked about lifetime subscriptions joetberry Install Garage & Help Desk 4 12-30-2005 01:53 PM
How can this guy sell a lifetime sub cheaper? blacknoi SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 13 09-22-2005 11:56 AM
Lifetime Subscription Questions billman Radios & Receivers 3 06-16-2005 06:21 PM
Lifetime Subscription Question & Most durable home/car u amphibious SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 3 07-31-2004 08:18 PM
Hey SIRIUS, Your Lifetime Plan Is Going To Be A Dog! dveith SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 31 12-17-2003 08:44 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.