Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe Crank up the music on your SIRIUS radio, grab a seat at the bar and let's talk SIRIUS.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Wink Popping and Crackling

I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried searching all the SQ threads, but did not find information. I have Sirius via factory radio (Dodge Dakota) and I have a Sirius setup in my Solara via cassette. In both vehicles I am getting constant popping and crackling during broadcasts. When this first happened in the Dodge, I thought it was a fried speaker. But since it happens in the Toyota also, I guess that blows that theory. The other thing is that it seems to emulate only from the right channel (front and rear).

Anyone experience same or have any advise? It is annoying enough and consistant enough that listening to Sirius is not an option right now.

Thanks for any help.
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
LarryBS
Rocket Scientist
 
LarryBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13, 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 873
LarryBS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr
I apologize if this has been discussed. I tried searching all the SQ threads, but did not find information. I have Sirius via factory radio (Dodge Dakota) and I have a Sirius setup in my Solara via cassette. In both vehicles I am getting constant popping and crackling during broadcasts. When this first happened in the Dodge, I thought it was a fried speaker. But since it happens in the Toyota also, I guess that blows that theory. The other thing is that it seems to emulate only from the right channel (front and rear).

Anyone experience same or have any advise? It is annoying enough and consistant enough that listening to Sirius is not an option right now.

Thanks for any help.
Are you using the same Sirius radio in both cars, transporting it back and forth, or does each car have its own receiver? If it's the same receiver, then I'd say there's a problem with the right channel of the unit.
__________________
JVC SR2000 - pics and installation LINK
LarryBS is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Default Diffferent Units

Nope, they're different units.
Dodge is factory stereo (Sirius is built-in)
Toyota Solara has Sirius Streamer Replay (which I absolutely love and recommend to anyone...it's an awesome unit) via cassette adapter into factory head unit
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Capn Ramius
Top Dog Member
 
Capn Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 25, 2005
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,181
Capn Ramius will become famous soon enoughCapn Ramius will become famous soon enough
Default

As hard as I find it to believe, it is starting to sound like two identical failures in two different units. The odds against it are huge, though.

Make sure the FM transmitter in the Streamer is turned off. If you have any other FM transmitter (f'rinstance, and iPod) turn that off. Also, try adjusting the Streamers line out and the Solara's stereo volume. What brand cassette adapter are you using? Some people claim that the cheapies aren't real good, and prefer a good Sony adapter.
__________________
“… we meet the right sort, this-will- work. We get some, buckaroo…”
Capn Ramius is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Default

Adjustments made
No FM interference or conflicts
Sony cassette adapter

My confusion is that I'm havng same issue with factory stereo in Dodge

I really believe it is signal broadcast, but just don't know.
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Chad
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 06, 2004
Posts: 2,724
Chad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Chad Send a message via MSN to Chad Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr
Nope, they're different units.
Dodge is factory stereo (Sirius is built-in)
I was also going to say it might be your cassette adapter because I've experienced that myself, but obviously not the case since one is factory. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr
Toyota Solara has Sirius Streamer Replay (which I absolutely love and recommend to anyone...it's an awesome unit) via cassette adapter into factory head unit
Good to see some love for the Brix (Streamer GTR owner hear) units! They're the sleeker, sexier counterparts to their Directed Electronics brethren.
Chad is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
LarryBS
Rocket Scientist
 
LarryBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13, 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 873
LarryBS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr
Adjustments made
No FM interference or conflicts
Sony cassette adapter

My confusion is that I'm havng same issue with factory stereo in Dodge

I really believe it is signal broadcast, but just don't know.
The more info you divulge, the more I tend to agree with you that it may be a signal problem, although it's the first I've ever heard of anything like this. Are you operating on satellite reception or is there a terrestrial repeater in your area overtaking the sat signal ? It could be a repeater problem.
__________________
JVC SR2000 - pics and installation LINK
LarryBS is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBS
The more info you divulge, the more I tend to agree with you that it may be a signal problem, although it's the first I've ever heard of anything like this. Are you operating on satellite reception or is there a terrestrial repeater in your area overtaking the sat signal ? It could be a repeater problem.
Interesting thought...how can I find out? I also noticed that there is not "TECH SUPPORT" link on the Sirius site...whassup with that?
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
LarryBS
Rocket Scientist
 
LarryBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13, 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 873
LarryBS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebxr
Interesting thought...how can I find out? I also noticed that there is not "TECH SUPPORT" link on the Sirius site...whassup with that?
Go into the antenna aiming menu. You'll see two signal meters; one for sat and one for terr.
__________________
JVC SR2000 - pics and installation LINK
LarryBS is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
rustytrombone
Sirius Star
 
rustytrombone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Posts: 2,880
rustytrombone is on a distinguished road
Default

Signal broadcast is digital. No popping from digital signals. NOW, there is a chance that they both are getting engine wine (or a grounding issue) where if you step on the brakes you'll get a POP or if you turn on the blinkers they will pop to the blinks.

If you can, pause the sat signal or mute it but not through the head unit as you want to listen to the sounds that's left. If it's snap crackle and pop when it's muted it's a grounding issue.

That can definitely happen in any car but this is real strange indeed.

(fyi, I don't think the tech support is going to help. All they know is SEND IT BACK AND WE'LL SEND YOU ANOTHER)
__________________
Make you humble

bust'n heads with:
(3) S50s
Sportster Replay
Sportster 4
(2)InV
Stratus
rustytrombone is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
LarryBS
Rocket Scientist
 
LarryBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13, 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 873
LarryBS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
Signal broadcast is digital. No popping from digital signals.
True, there is no static noise interferrence in digital signal, like the type you might hear in an FM signal. But if the repeater itself is having technical difficulties, it could be generating electrical pops and clicks. My digital cable does this sometimes when it switches between local and network programming, or when the high-def is squirrelly. It clicks and pops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
(fyi, I don't think the tech support is going to help. All they know is SEND IT BACK AND WE'LL SEND YOU ANOTHER)
Also true. There really is no "tech" support at Sirius, just customer service with canned answers. Sirius Backstage is the best source for help.
__________________
JVC SR2000 - pics and installation LINK
LarryBS is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
jwt873
Top Dog Member
Popping and Crackling
 
jwt873's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11, 2004
Posts: 2,600
jwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura aboutjwt873 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
Signal broadcast is digital. No popping from digital signals.
Yes.. It's all digital and there's redundancy through time division, multiple signals, buffering and error checking.... If the problem were with the signal, EVERYONE would be experiencing it.

Your problem has to be a local one... I have NO idea what's causing one channel to have static on two completely seperate receivers. I couldn't begin to guess.
jwt873 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
John C
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Hamden, Connecticut
Posts: 38
John C is on a distinguished road
Default Do you have Nextel/Sprint?

The noise you are hearing may be coming from your cell phone. Nextel is notorius for making the pop noise (chick, chick, chick, chick) on audio equipment. It may be weird but I'm just thinking out of the box. If this idea is possible keep your phone away from the stereo.

John
John C is offline  
 
 
Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #14
joebxr
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2005
Posts: 17
joebxr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
Signal broadcast is digital. No popping from digital signals. NOW, there is a chance that they both are getting engine wine (or a grounding issue) where if you step on the brakes you'll get a POP or if you turn on the blinkers they will pop to the blinks.

If you can, pause the sat signal or mute it but not through the head unit as you want to listen to the sounds that's left. If it's snap crackle and pop when it's muted it's a grounding issue.

That can definitely happen in any car but this is real strange indeed.

(fyi, I don't think the tech support is going to help. All they know is SEND IT BACK AND WE'LL SEND YOU ANOTHER)
Tried both vehicles in ACC mode (i.e. no engine running)...same thing. Tried it sitting in my driveway and then tried it sitting in work parking lot (10 miles away)...same thing. This has got me totally confused and frustrated.
joebxr is offline  
 
 
Old 12-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #15
ShadowGameCity
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 21, 2006
Posts: 10
ShadowGameCity is on a distinguished road
Question

Does sound like either a signal problem or some area issue...
Finding a solution is gonna be hard, but there should be one.
It wouldn't make any sense.


----------------------------------
Ferengi Rule of Aquisition Addendum
Corperations don't make sense. They make profits.
ShadowGameCity is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headphones... Popping, Cracking? BruT4L1ty SIRIUS S50 7 03-17-2006 04:04 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.