Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Electronic & Dance Non-stop beats and the pulsating energy of the club - the full spectrum of dance music.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
codedude
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jul 06, 2005
Posts: 181
codedude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BPM Takes a Swipe at The Beat

I don't know if anyone else on here heard this, but I was listening to Skyy on BPM today at about 5:20pm ET. He said that a listener sent him an e-mail saying he liked XM a lot, but wished that XM offered a dance channel like The Beat on The Dog. The listener said that he didn't like the repetitive garbage the BPM played. Obviously this listener hasn't heard The Beat, was very confused, or is a moron. Skyy told listeners to e-mail this guy (his e-mail was given on the air) and to tell the guy to get a clue. After all that, Skyy went on to say that The Beat on Sirius is a bunch of repeating pop garbage (or something to that effect). He emphasized that BPM SOMETIMES plays Kelly Clarkson, but not every other song like The Beat does.

I'm actually surprised that BPM hasn't bashed The Beat more on the air than they have so far. What surprises me even more is that a crappy station such as The Beat even exists! Hopefully with Jay Clark's departure changes will come to the dance line-up, but I'm not holding my breath.
codedude is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
DJChrisz84
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2005
Location: Reading, PA/ Durham, NC
Posts: 255
DJChrisz84 is on a distinguished road
Default

Skyy couldn't have been more accurate in his analysis. Programming on The Beat= throwing a bunch of random dance songs from the last 10 years into iTunes and hitting the shuffle button. There is no thought whatsoever regarding the music selection. I was listening today and heard at least 6 gold based records in a row....then a nice current pop remix to break things up.

I'll give The Beat credit for adding aggressive songs like "Put Your Hand Up 4 Detroit," "This Is Miami" (dropped), "Proper Eduaction," Vission's mix of "Let's Dance," and the Starkillers remix of " Sex 'N Money," but they are totally neglecting vocal dance hits, which I would consider the backbone of the mainstream dance sub-genre.

Songs The Beat should/could be playing:

Break Up- Cascada (missed out on this one)
The Things You Say- Cicada (although Area 33 is plaing this one)
Time For Love- JJ Flores
Lucky- Lucky Twice
Let's Get Down- Hernandez
Without Breaking- DaBuzz
By My Side- Flanders
Stars Align- Kaskade
Go (Dave Aude Mix)- Jupiter Rising
Rain Down Love- Freemasons
I Feel For You- John Kano
By the Way- Jenna Drey
Changes- Chris Lake (missed out on this one)

I love the fact that they're playing some good electro-house edits. Unfortunately, it's amidst 5 songs I really don't want to hear, whether it be an infamous "Beat remix" or a played out track they've been forcing down our ears for the past two years. In addition, there is a void in the particular sub-genre of electronic music that supposedly defines the station.....dance hits. "I Go Crazy" is the only current mainstream vocal dance song that I can think of. On a positive note, Area 33 seems to be taking giant strides, in both their mixshows and song selection.
__________________
Chris
Sirius subscriber 12/05-12/07
DJChrisz84 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
LASIRIUSFAN
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 672
LASIRIUSFAN is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJChrisz84
Skyy couldn't have been more accurate in his analysis. Programming on The Beat= throwing a bunch of random dance songs from the last 10 years into iTunes and hitting the shuffle button. There is no thought whatsoever regarding the music selection. I was listening today and heard at least 6 gold based records in a row....then a nice current pop remix to break things up.

I'll give The Beat credit for adding aggressive songs like "Put Your Hand Up 4 Detroit," "This Is Miami" (dropped), "Proper Eduaction," Vission's mix of "Let's Dance," and the Starkillers remix of " Sex 'N Money," but they are totally neglecting vocal dance hits, which I would consider the backbone of the mainstream dance sub-genre.

Songs The Beat should/could be playing:

Break Up- Cascada (missed out on this one)
The Things You Say- Cicada (although Area 33 is plaing this one)
Time For Love- JJ Flores
Lucky- Lucky Twice
Let's Get Down- Hernandez
Without Breaking- DaBuzz
By My Side- Flanders
Stars Align- Kaskade
Go (Dave Aude Mix)- Jupiter Rising
Rain Down Love- Freemasons
I Feel For You- John Kano
By the Way- Jenna Drey
Changes- Chris Lake (missed out on this one)

I love the fact that they're playing some good electro-house edits. Unfortunately, it's amidst 5 songs I really don't want to hear, whether it be an infamous "Beat remix" or a played out track they've been forcing down our ears for the past two years. In addition, there is a void in the particular sub-genre of electronic music that supposedly defines the station.....dance hits. "I Go Crazy" is the only current mainstream vocal dance song that I can think of. On a positive note, Area 33 seems to be taking giant strides, in both their mixshows and song selection.

I agree. They are neglecting Vocal dance hits. Its not that the other songs are bad but they need variety. I'm so tired of Kelly Clarkson. Theres lots of new female vocal tracks out there but they are stuck on the same ones from the past 2 years. They play all the Amber songs but neglect to play her new one. They play Ultra Nate's Free like its the only song she did but she has a new one out. They "USE' to play songs by Sun & Jenna Drey but you never know listening to the Beat that they have new stuff out right now. Hell even Kim Sozzi had a song called "Break Up" they failed to played but they play ALL her other songs and promote her this New years eve live club event.

And dont get me started on the lack of MIXSHOWS...

Last edited by LASIRIUSFAN; 12-21-2006 at 12:36 AM..
LASIRIUSFAN is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Cannon
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 2,357
Cannon is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm going to be in Circuit City next week hard wiring XM into mine and my wife's car. I'm tired of using the wireless FM and we are ditching her Roady for an Audiovox XPress like mine. While I'm there waiting, I'm looking forward to listening to the Beat and Area 33 for the first time since this summer when I cancelled. I'm sure an hour or so will do me for another six months.

In all fairness, Skyy can be kind of a jerk on the air and I would be pissed if he gave out my email address - but it's not the fault of Marcus and Larry and Geronimo. A few years back it was the other way around and XM management did not support XM dance. BPM sucked just as just as bad then as The Beat does now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon
(Originally posted: 02-11-2004, 08:37 PM) - Announced yesterday on allaccess.com that Joel Salkowitz has stepped down from his executive role at Sirius...He was the PD of Hot 97 when it was the best dance station that has ever existed in the US...I cant help but also wonder if his exit signals the further demise of the dance streams we all think need some major help.

Last edited by Cannon; 12-21-2006 at 09:20 AM..
Cannon is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
ROBGv1
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Posts: 141
ROBGv1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Radio 1 plays alot of new dance music.
ROBGv1 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
DJChrisz84
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2005
Location: Reading, PA/ Durham, NC
Posts: 255
DJChrisz84 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBGv1
Radio 1 plays alot of new dance music.
I agree, Radio 1 is a great station for their specialty shows, like Judge Jules, Pete Tong, and Dave Pearce. I know they play some good dance music in regular rotation as well, but everytime I turn on the station during the day, there seems to be more talk than music.....but all in all, still a good channel, breaking more new dance music than The Beat could ever dream of.
__________________
Chris
Sirius subscriber 12/05-12/07
DJChrisz84 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
DJChrisz84
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2005
Location: Reading, PA/ Durham, NC
Posts: 255
DJChrisz84 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon
In all fairness, Skyy can be kind of a jerk on the air and I would be pissed if he gave out my email address - but it's not the fault of Marcus and Larry and Geronimo. A few years back it was the other way around and XM management did not support XM dance. BPM sucked just as just as bad then as The Beat does now.
I don't necessarily blame the programmers/music directors for the state of the dance category either. I remember when Michelle Visage posted a few times on SBS, she mentioned that it was the executives ruling with an iron fist. What strikes me as odd is that the execs would have the knowledge of dance music to say things like- don't add obvious vocal, mainstream based dance songs, but play a few aggressive, cutting edge tracks- or instead of playing Amber's new song on dance HITS channel, play all of her old songs- or play mostly gold and recurrent songs on a HITS channel, and make sure you play the same gold and recurrents every day. There has to be another term in this equation. Is The Beat only allotted a small amount of storage space for their songs, which is why they repeat even gold and recurrents daily?? Is Sirius being offered/bribed with money from record companies to play stuff like Dandy and pop remixes on a supposed pure dance channel??
__________________
Chris
Sirius subscriber 12/05-12/07
DJChrisz84 is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Cannon
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 2,357
Cannon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJChrisz84
I don't necessarily blame the programmers/music directors for the state of the dance category either. I remember when Michelle Visage posted a few times on SBS, she mentioned that it was the executives ruling with an iron fist. What strikes me as odd is that the execs would have the knowledge of dance music to say things like- don't add obvious vocal, mainstream based dance songs, but play a few aggressive, cutting edge tracks- or instead of playing Amber's new song on dance HITS channel, play all of her old songs- or play mostly gold and recurrent songs on a HITS channel, and make sure you play the same gold and recurrents every day. There has to be another term in this equation. Is The Beat only allotted a small amount of storage space for their songs, which is why they repeat even gold and recurrents daily?? Is Sirius being offered/bribed with money from record companies to play stuff like Dandy and pop remixes on a supposed pure dance channel??
You're right. How could the execs be THAT specific in their choices...I just really am trying to give Marcus and the others the benefit of the doubt here b/c I really do like those guys. But its undeniably true. The Beat changed programming philosophies drastically earlier in '06. For it to be all Marcus and Geronimo, et.al I would have to believe they had lobotomies or something. It's too 180 degree opposite. But, like you pointed out, it can't just be the execs. There is a whole in this equation...and I think its one even Newton, Pythagoras, and Sagan could not solve....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon
(Originally posted: 02-11-2004, 08:37 PM) - Announced yesterday on allaccess.com that Joel Salkowitz has stepped down from his executive role at Sirius...He was the PD of Hot 97 when it was the best dance station that has ever existed in the US...I cant help but also wonder if his exit signals the further demise of the dance streams we all think need some major help.
Cannon is offline  
 
 
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
LASIRIUSFAN
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 672
LASIRIUSFAN is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJChrisz84
I don't necessarily blame the programmers/music directors for the state of the dance category either. I remember when Michelle Visage posted a few times on SBS, she mentioned that it was the executives ruling with an iron fist. What strikes me as odd is that the execs would have the knowledge of dance music to say things like- don't add obvious vocal, mainstream based dance songs, but play a few aggressive, cutting edge tracks- or instead of playing Amber's new song on dance HITS channel, play all of her old songs- or play mostly gold and recurrent songs on a HITS channel, and make sure you play the same gold and recurrents every day. There has to be another term in this equation. Is The Beat only allotted a small amount of storage space for their songs, which is why they repeat even gold and recurrents daily?? Is Sirius being offered/bribed with money from record companies to play stuff like Dandy and pop remixes on a supposed pure dance channel??
Yes very odd programming choices. Its like they focus on a "few" aggressive songs that aren't really hit potential but sound good. Like Armin van Buuren "Love You More" they added this week. But ignore others. Hell if I was running it, I'd play em all. But they don't even play the Christina Aguillar remix of "hurt". You think that would be up their alley. They play all this old mainstream hits but ignore the potential hits on this season???!! And shit even the Fergie song, as much as I hate it, you would think some kind of remix or something of her song would be on the Beat by now. Its just strange. Innie Minnie Miny Moe style of running things. Play Pink. Ignore Christina. Play DHT. Ignore Amber. Ignore songs like from Jupitar Rising that other stations are playing but play Groove Terminator??


Whoever is programming the music is not adding the right balance of hits. Like they just rely on the safe standbys of the past while moving forward with whatever they like for new adds instead of what really has potential...

And The Dandy is just the worst song ever on The Beat.

Last edited by LASIRIUSFAN; 12-21-2006 at 11:24 PM..
LASIRIUSFAN is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monsta Sets on Area 33 & The Beat Dj MONSTA nyc SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 5 09-01-2006 12:34 AM
Roger Sanchez on the Beat SimonH SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 8 03-03-2006 12:30 PM
"Desperate Housewives" factor on the Beat smooth28la SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 8 01-29-2006 11:54 PM
The Beat... is it just me...? Marcgoldie SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 22 03-03-2005 07:46 PM
The Beat campaign Cannon SIRIUS Electronic & Dance 54 03-04-2004 03:53 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.