Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Music Interact with other SIRIUS Listeners and SIRIUS Master Music Programmers. It's an opportunity to share news and insights on music-matters -- that matter most to you. Rate the music and gush about your favorite new artists.

View Poll Results: Occasional lineup changes: Good or bad?
Good: It keeps the lineup fresh and in tune with people's changing tastes. 38 52.78%
Bad: You can't build listener loyalty when your favorite stations keep disappearing! 31 43.06%
Neither: If Sirius plays it, I'll listen to it! 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #46
ntilly
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Posts: 606
ntilly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Channel Shakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnationonline
I think he is talking about losing wax and not having a dedicated black talk channel.
Do we have a dedicated white channel? No. I never knew channels were racist. Except for one tv channel...called BLACK Entertainment Television. Every other tv channel and radio channel I know have nothing to do with race.
Ntilly, most every channel is a "white channel" when whites make up the majority of the population in America (for now ). This is a pretty unenlightened statement, to put it kindly.
Since when does a channel belong to whites? Blacks are free to listen. I have yet to see a white label anywhere. Just because some Blacks dont like rock doesnt make rock a white genre. And just cause a lot of blacks like rap/hip-hop doesnt make it a "black" genre. Im white and love CLEAN rap/hip-hop. And I have a lot of black friends that get into rock. So dont talk this bologna about race. If the poster feels a genre of music is missing then say so. But dont say "BLACK channels arent on Sirius." Genres of music are liked by ALL races.
__________________
Sirius...BRING BACK REVOLUTION!
ntilly is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #47
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

I see the old "Sirius doesn't have any Black music" myth has reared its ugly head again.

Let's look at the facts:

Four hip-hop channels
Five R&B/urban channels
Five electronic/dance channels
Three Jazz channels
Numerous black singers on "Standard Time"
Numerous black singers/groups on the pop channels
One Blues channel
One Reggae channel
Some hip-hop on one of the rock channels (Faction)

And since MANY Blacks claim that Rock n Roll is actually just black music that Whites like Elvis stole from them, we can include 15 Rock channels in the black music category.

So there's something in the neighborhood of 35 black music channels on Sirius. Which means black music channels totally dominate Sirius programming.

[sarcasm]Sirius isn't fair to Whites! Blacks are discriminating! Waaaahhhhhhhhh![/sarcasm]
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #48
AZJoe
Top Dog Member
 
AZJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 29, 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona / Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3,720
AZJoe will become famous soon enoughAZJoe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AZJoe Send a message via MSN to AZJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AZJoe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I see the old "Sirius doesn't have any Black music" myth has reared its ugly head again.

Let's look at the facts:

Four hip-hop channels
Five R&B/urban channels
Five electronic/dance channels
Three Jazz channels
Numerous black singers on "Standard Time"
Numerous black singers/groups on the pop channels
One Blues channel
One Reggae channel
Some hip-hop on one of the rock channels (Faction)

And since MANY Blacks claim that Rock n Roll is actually just black music that Whites like Elvis stole from them, we can include 15 Rock channels in the black music category.

So there's something in the neighborhood of 35 black music channels on Sirius. Which means black music channels totally dominate Sirius programming.

[sarcasm]Sirius isn't fair to Whites! Blacks are discriminating! Waaaahhhhhhhhh![/sarcasm]

Lame!!
__________________
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
AZJoe is offline  
 
 
Old 09-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #49
ntilly
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Posts: 606
ntilly is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I see the old "Sirius doesn't have any Black music" myth has reared its ugly head again.

Let's look at the facts:

Four hip-hop channels
Five R&B/urban channels
Five electronic/dance channels
Three Jazz channels
Numerous black singers on "Standard Time"
Numerous black singers/groups on the pop channels
One Blues channel
One Reggae channel
Some hip-hop on one of the rock channels (Faction)

And since MANY Blacks claim that Rock n Roll is actually just black music that Whites like Elvis stole from them, we can include 15 Rock channels in the black music category.

So there's something in the neighborhood of 35 black music channels on Sirius. Which means black music channels totally dominate Sirius programming.

[sarcasm]Sirius isn't fair to Whites! Blacks are discriminating! Waaaahhhhhhhhh![/sarcasm]
LOL
__________________
Sirius...BRING BACK REVOLUTION!
ntilly is offline  
 
 
Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM   #50
danwxman
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 820
danwxman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to danwxman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I see the old "Sirius doesn't have any Black music" myth has reared its ugly head again.

Let's look at the facts:

Four hip-hop channels
Five R&B/urban channels
Five electronic/dance channels
Three Jazz channels
Numerous black singers on "Standard Time"
Numerous black singers/groups on the pop channels
One Blues channel
One Reggae channel
Some hip-hop on one of the rock channels (Faction)

And since MANY Blacks claim that Rock n Roll is actually just black music that Whites like Elvis stole from them, we can include 15 Rock channels in the black music category.

So there's something in the neighborhood of 35 black music channels on Sirius. Which means black music channels totally dominate Sirius programming.

[sarcasm]Sirius isn't fair to Whites! Blacks are discriminating! Waaaahhhhhhhhh![/sarcasm]
lol....black people don't listen to electronica/dance. Sorry, thats only 30.
__________________
[t:0c42dc15f4]u=danwxman&f=verdana&s=11&c=00008B[/t:0c42dc15f4]
danwxman is offline  
 
 
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #51
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman
lol....black people don't listen to electronica/dance. Sorry, thats only 30.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Even though quite popular with whites, it's definitely a genre with its roots in the black community, and so many of the performers have been and are black. Most of my black friends and associates at work have some in their collections of CD's they bring to work.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #52
dantodd
Top Dog Member
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2004
Posts: 3,665
dantodd will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoker
You pull the race card every time you state that you are a black man of a certain age and that Sirius doesn't care about the music you listen to. It's one thing to complain that there is no funk and that you would like that genre better represented on Sirius. But to associate it with you being black is definitely pulling the race card. So, yes, question the need for 17 rock channels, question why funk/punk/soundtracks isn't represented, but leave the whole race issue out of it. You only lessen your chances of getting said genres by pulling age and race into the equation as that makes it a smaller demographic.

Now you've done it....


I guess I'll have to actually agree with you this time. ARGHHHHH......

The only thing I can disagree with is that the "race card" makes it less likely to get a spot.
dantodd is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #53
DaJoker
Sirius Star
 
DaJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 23, 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA.
Posts: 2,853
DaJoker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DaJoker Send a message via AIM to DaJoker Send a message via MSN to DaJoker Send a message via Yahoo to DaJoker Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoker
You pull the race card every time you state that you are a black man of a certain age and that Sirius doesn't care about the music you listen to. It's one thing to complain that there is no funk and that you would like that genre better represented on Sirius. But to associate it with you being black is definitely pulling the race card. So, yes, question the need for 17 rock channels, question why funk/punk/soundtracks isn't represented, but leave the whole race issue out of it. You only lessen your chances of getting said genres by pulling age and race into the equation as that makes it a smaller demographic.

Now you've done it....


I guess I'll have to actually agree with you this time. ARGHHHHH......

The only thing I can disagree with is that the "race card" makes it less likely to get a spot.
Again, for the reasons stated it does make it less likely. Suddenly you've taken the demographic from All folks, all ages, to Black folks over the age of 35. You've just cut down the demographic considerably. Would you add a channel based on the appeal to 50 people vs one that appeals to 500,000 people? Which one do you think Sirius would add?
__________________
Sirius: Stiletto 100, Kenwood MP6025+902, Stratus+SUHC1+USB
XM: Roady2 + Personal Kit, Kenwood DPX701+XMD1000

DaJoker is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #54
dantodd
Top Dog Member
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2004
Posts: 3,665
dantodd will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
The only thing I can disagree with is that the "race card" makes it less likely to get a spot.
Again, for the reasons stated it does make it less likely. Suddenly you've taken the demographic from All folks, all ages, to Black folks over the age of 35. You've just cut down the demographic considerably. Would you add a channel based on the appeal to 50 people vs one that appeals to 500,000 people? Which one do you think Sirius would add?
I agree that if it were a "black only" channel it would be less likely to get it's own spot than otherwise. I just don't think that someone making that claim will change the actual chances. For the record, I am WAY in favor of a FUNK stream, in fact, I'd really love to see more motown than just the 60's motown Monday.
dantodd is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #55
AZJoe
Top Dog Member
 
AZJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 29, 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona / Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 3,720
AZJoe will become famous soon enoughAZJoe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AZJoe Send a message via MSN to AZJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AZJoe
Default

Certain music formats do have certain weighted demos, and a core group that they try to reach. Of course, music goes beyond race in every music genre, yet it is a fact that certain races tend to favor certain musical genres more tha others. Country music is overwhelminly white, does that mean it cant attract black or latino or asian listners? No. But facts are facts. Urban music, scores much higher with black audiences. Does it mean whites dont tune in? No. To say that dance, pop and rock are really black music channels just because they had their roots in black music also is absurd. Music has evolved so much in the last 50 years of pop, rock and r&b that it would be barely identifyable to artists and listeners a half century ago. The evolution of all music came from one souce somewhere back in time. Doesnt mean our music is actually Egyptian or Sumerian. People on here, stating that certain formats and genres that appeal to certain demos, have many valid points, you may not like them- or not even understand it- but wait until your favorite genre or channel is dumped. You may be more inclined to understand.
__________________
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
AZJoe is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #56
ntilly
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2005
Posts: 606
ntilly is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoe1
Certain music formats do have certain weighted demos, and a core group that they try to reach. Of course, music goes beyond race in every music genre, yet it is a fact that certain races tend to favor certain musical genres more tha others. Country music is overwhelminly white, does that mean it cant attract black or latino or asian listners? No. But facts are facts. Urban music, scores much higher with black audiences. Does it mean whites dont tune in? No. To say that dance, pop and rock are really black music channels just because they had their roots in black music also is absurd. Music has evolved so much in the last 50 years of pop, rock and r&b that it would be barely identifyable to artists and listeners a half century ago. The evolution of all music came from one souce somewhere back in time. Doesnt mean our music is actually Egyptian or Sumerian. People on here, stating that certain formats and genres that appeal to certain demos, have many valid points, you may not like them- or not even understand it- but wait until your favorite genre or channel is dumped. You may be more inclined to understand.
Yes but Sirius is not canceling channels over race. period. To say so is absurd. I agree hip hop/rap is favored by blacks. But Sirius isnt saying "Lets keep those kind of stations at a minimum because thats for black people." Sirius is making decisions based on what makes the most money. Once again...RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!
__________________
Sirius...BRING BACK REVOLUTION!
ntilly is offline  
 
 
Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #57
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilly
Yes but Sirius is not canceling channels over race. period. To say so is absurd. I agree hip hop/rap is favored by blacks. But Sirius isnt saying "Lets keep those kind of stations at a minimum because thats for black people." Sirius is making decisions based on what makes the most money. Once again...RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 09-09-2005, 03:10 AM   #58
sgamer
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Nov 07, 2004
Location: in my car
Posts: 149
sgamer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to sgamer Send a message via AIM to sgamer Send a message via MSN to sgamer Send a message via Yahoo to sgamer
Default

You guys may think the complaints about these channel deletions will pass as easily as those in the past, but here they are deleting what I consider two MAJOR channels:

Wax
Remix


Both offer mixed-music formats, and both serve genres of music where mixed-music formats (and new, hot exclusive music like on Wax) are VERY much welcome, and otherwise really unheard of in mainstream/commercial radio. SIRIUS is making a huge mistake getting rid of these.

HUGE mistake. Whether you listen to the stations or not, you have to realize what a dumb move this is.
__________________
SIRIUS - Worth every penny.

r1/h100/rawdog/area33/hiphopnation/s45/chill/iceberg
[t:1c9e27553a]u=sgamer&t=pnp2&f=LongCoolWoman[/t:1c9e27553a]
sgamer is offline  
 
 
Old 09-09-2005, 04:04 AM   #59
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Lineup Changes: Good or Bad?
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgamer
You guys may think the complaints about these channel deletions will pass as easily as those in the past, but here they are deleting what I consider two MAJOR channels:
Like the other channels they deleted were not major channels. Vortex, Vista, Soundscapes just to name a few. Those two channels music will be rolled into other channels. Just as the music from Vortex and Vista was rolled into other channels. Soundscapes ended up with a 24 hour program on Sunday's.

These deletions will be no different. People will complain, but with time those complaints will fade and eventually drop off the radar.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.