Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS News, Talk, Entertainment & Traffic SIRIUS is more than just great music. From real-world events to hilarious standup Comedy - this is the destination for what's happening in news, entertainment, and business. Also, avoid the rush-hour gridlock with SIRIUS First Traffic & Weather.

View Poll Results: How effective are Sirius Traffic Reports for your area?
Great, I live by it and can't drive with it. 1 3.85%
Pretty Good, sometimes incomplete but still helpful. 8 30.77%
OK, often incomplete, sometimes helpful. 9 34.62%
Not so great, not very helpful. 3 11.54%
Outright sucks or not available where I live. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
BeyEhmVey
Sirius Star
 
BeyEhmVey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 1,255
BeyEhmVey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BeyEhmVey Send a message via Yahoo to BeyEhmVey
Default If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?

I thought I would start this poll to see what the members of SBS think about Sirius Traffic. I even have an option for those that do not bennefit from the traffic reports.

I find, for the New York Metro area, they are strong in New Jersey, in fact between the Philly report and the New York report, the whole state of New Jersey is covered.

However, they rarely have any traffic information for some major highways in Westchester and Putnam Counties (684) and Connecticut (84, 15 , I-95). Its almost like they are getting an incomplete feed from somewhere that is rarely updated.

What are the other markets like - do you notice that its really incomplete or do they do a good job. And what about the competition? Are they any better in your market? My guess its subcontracted to some service that trying to make it cheap as possible in order to maximize their gain.
__________________
Brix Steamer *deceased*
Starmate Replay
Stratus
"Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"
BeyEhmVey is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
jimboxlax
Backstage Blogger

If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
jimboxlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2003
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 2,086
jimboxlax is on a distinguished road
Default

I have to say, I still listen to one of three AM stations for NJ traffic... Nothing specific against Sirius Traffic NYC, but I just dont trust that it will be updated as frequently or in as much detail as the AM channels...

I mean you can be sure the Garden State & Turnpike will be listed, but what about Route 22 or any of the smaller roads...
__________________
Richard and the Young Lions? Ducky Boys? Fordham Baldies? If this garage band or bronx gangs of the 50's and 60's mean anything to you, check out Lantern-Media.com to find out more about them!
jimboxlax is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Michigan Made
Forum Administrator
If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
Join Date: Jan 03, 2005
Posts: 8,415
Michigan Made is a jewel in the roughMichigan Made is a jewel in the roughMichigan Made is a jewel in the rough
Default

The report for Boston is great if you live in Boston or just outside in the Metro West. It would be nice to get more reporting on Providence traffic.

I do listen to the local AM station to double check what Sirius is reporting.
__________________



Michigan Made is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
dinosaur
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 193
dinosaur is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyEhmVey
However, they rarely have any traffic information for some major highways in Westchester and Putnam Counties (684) and Connecticut (84, 15 , I-95). Its almost like they are getting an incomplete feed from somewhere that is rarely updated.
Well, I'm live in the same part of the world and have to agree - it's annoying that NJ and LI appear to be covered extensively, whereas CT/Westchester is not. Maybe it's me, but I have difficulty finding good traffic reports even on AM for the PM commute.
dinosaur is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
BeyEhmVey
Sirius Star
 
BeyEhmVey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 1,255
BeyEhmVey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BeyEhmVey Send a message via Yahoo to BeyEhmVey
Default Re: If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur
Well, I'm live in the same part of the world and have to agree - it's annoying that NJ and LI appear to be covered extensively, whereas CT/Westchester is not. Maybe it's me, but I have difficulty finding good traffic reports even on AM for the PM commute.
There are three stations that I know of that cover Westchester, Putnam, and Upper Fairifield Counties, I-95 (WRKI), 98.3 (Danbury), and WFUV (107.3? or is it 106.7) but the problem is, you have to figure out when they give the traffic updates which means you have to listen to their crappy music which is the reason I (and everyone else here) got Sat Radio.

I wonder if News Channel 12 update's the Website with Traffic Information. If you have Cablevision or Comcast I think you can access their site. I have charter so its no dice for me.
__________________
Brix Steamer *deceased*
Starmate Replay
Stratus
"Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"
BeyEhmVey is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
HarleyJoel
Top Dog Member
If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
HarleyJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 25, 2004
Location: New Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,843
HarleyJoel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to HarleyJoel Send a message via AIM to HarleyJoel Send a message via MSN to HarleyJoel Send a message via Yahoo to HarleyJoel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboxlax
I have to say, I still listen to one of three AM stations for NJ traffic... Nothing specific against Sirius Traffic NYC, but I just dont trust that it will be updated as frequently or in as much detail as the AM channels...

I mean you can be sure the Garden State & Turnpike will be listed, but what about Route 22 or any of the smaller roads...
Probably the best traffic reports for Jersey is on NJ101.5 . Unfortunately, you have to listen through the annoying talk and that damn reverb they put on there and the stupid station I.D's.
__________________
Joel

HarleyJoel is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
jimboxlax
Backstage Blogger

If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
jimboxlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2003
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 2,086
jimboxlax is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree... 101.5 has the best detailed traffic for NJ, but the AM stations do it much more often..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyJoel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboxlax
I have to say, I still listen to one of three AM stations for NJ traffic... Nothing specific against Sirius Traffic NYC, but I just dont trust that it will be updated as frequently or in as much detail as the AM channels...

I mean you can be sure the Garden State & Turnpike will be listed, but what about Route 22 or any of the smaller roads...
Probably the best traffic reports for Jersey is on NJ101.5 . Unfortunately, you have to listen through the annoying talk and that damn reverb they put on there and the stupid station I.D's.
__________________
Richard and the Young Lions? Ducky Boys? Fordham Baldies? If this garage band or bronx gangs of the 50's and 60's mean anything to you, check out Lantern-Media.com to find out more about them!
jimboxlax is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
littleradioboy
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Dec 04, 2004
Location: Baltimore/Wash area
Posts: 205
littleradioboy is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm in Baltimore, and Washington area, at times things are spot on, other times, it has set my up for major problems..

The biggest problem is that I have to tune into the traffic stream, and most of the time I forget to tune in, or there is a problem in non-traffic hours, but I did not think of checking. I wish there was a way to set a s-seek for major problems... The only way I can think of this working is for sirius to change the display, like BALT ALERT and If I have an s-seek it will beep for me.. Who knows.. but I think this is something sirius and XM will have to work on in the years to come when FM is on the death bed..
__________________
-Sportster Replay
-Sportster
-Xact XTR2
-BMW Factory w/Sirius
littleradioboy is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
WolfViper
Top Dog Member
If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Posts: 4,577
WolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the rough
Default

Well i'm in the Phoenix area and the traffic reports does help me out sometimes. But sometimes I still flip over to the am station 620 KTAR, which is little bit more updated then the Sirius Phoenix channel!
__________________

WolfViper is offline  
 
 
Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
deadhead13
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 1,766
deadhead13 is on a distinguished road
Default

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale and everytime i turn on the weather/traffic station for this area, i always get the Pheonix Traffic & Weather. I sure hope the people their are having a good drive.
deadhead13 is offline  
 
 
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 AM   #11
BeyEhmVey
Sirius Star
 
BeyEhmVey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 1,255
BeyEhmVey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BeyEhmVey Send a message via Yahoo to BeyEhmVey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleradioboy
I wish there was a way to set a s-seek for major problems... The only way I can think of this working is for sirius to change the display, like BALT ALERT and If I have an s-seek it will beep for me.. Who knows.. but I think this is something sirius and XM will have to work on in the years to come when FM is on the death bed..
That and maybe weather alerts for your area like what is done on Cable TV. The traffic alert reminds me of when I lived in Germany back in the 80s. They had Traffic Alerts that overrode the radio signal or tape for that matter. They were helpful if you were on the autobahn but if not they were annoying. Still, if it gave you the option to "Jump" to that station and then to "Jump" back to what you were listening to it would be cool.
__________________
Brix Steamer *deceased*
Starmate Replay
Stratus
"Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"
BeyEhmVey is offline  
 
 
Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
WolfViper
Top Dog Member
If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Posts: 4,577
WolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead13
I live in the Ft. Lauderdale and everytime i turn on the weather/traffic station for this area, i always get the Pheonix Traffic & Weather. I sure hope the people their are having a good drive.
It usually the other way for me. Everytime I turn onto it. I hear Maimi traffic and weather. In Phoenix area we drive ok over here. But I hear quite bit more traffic problems in Miami over Phoenix.
__________________

WolfViper is offline  
 
 
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
BeyEhmVey
Sirius Star
 
BeyEhmVey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 08, 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 1,255
BeyEhmVey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BeyEhmVey Send a message via Yahoo to BeyEhmVey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfViper
It usually the other way for me. Everytime I turn onto it. I hear Maimi traffic and weather. In Phoenix area we drive ok over here. But I hear quite bit more traffic problems in Miami over Phoenix.
Does Phoenix have Suicide Lanes like they do (or did) in Tucson? I went to U of A and I remember on all the major avenues the center turn lane (5th lane) became a direction of travel during rush hour and there would always be some snow bird that doesn't have a clue trying to make a turn during rush hour.
__________________
Brix Steamer *deceased*
Starmate Replay
Stratus
"Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"
BeyEhmVey is offline  
 
 
Old 07-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
littleradioboy
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Dec 04, 2004
Location: Baltimore/Wash area
Posts: 205
littleradioboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyEhmVey

That and maybe weather alerts for your area like what is done on Cable TV. The traffic alert reminds me of when I lived in Germany back in the 80s. They had Traffic Alerts that overrode the radio signal or tape for that matter. They were helpful if you were on the autobahn but if not they were annoying. Still, if it gave you the option to "Jump" to that station and then to "Jump" back to what you were listening to it would be cool.
I lived in Germany also and this is what I was thinking of when I made this post.. I can see GPS, as a tool Sirius can use to do something like this..

My luck with Traffic.. if I'm on a road there will be traffic..
__________________
-Sportster Replay
-Sportster
-Xact XTR2
-BMW Factory w/Sirius
littleradioboy is offline  
 
 
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
WolfViper
Top Dog Member
If Sirius Traffic Helpful if its in your area?
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Posts: 4,577
WolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the roughWolfViper is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyEhmVey
Does Phoenix have Suicide Lanes like they do (or did) in Tucson? I went to U of A and I remember on all the major avenues the center turn lane (5th lane) became a direction of travel during rush hour and there would always be some snow bird that doesn't have a clue trying to make a turn during rush hour.
Yea they do have the Suicide Lanes here. I believe there on 3rd or 5th street. I heard there located at other parts of the valley also. But I went down them couple of times and it very dangerous on them. So I drive out of my way to avoid them!
__________________

WolfViper is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.