Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Rock The top tracks from the legends of rock n' roll, along side Underground, Alternative and Metal styles...all served up with the deepest Blues and the roots of Reggae.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #121
80_Listener
Rocket Scientist
 
80_Listener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 01, 2005
Location: Castellorizon Island
Posts: 997
80_Listener is on a distinguished road
Default

Coming home from work I get into my car and turn on to find

GNR
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Ozzy

All played in that order. Damn talk about whip lash in the car. Got to love that rundown.

Great job HN...
__________________
Rehabilitated from FM Radio since 12/29/04.
Friends, Don't let Friends listen to FM.
-------------------------------------------------------
80_Listener is offline  
 
 
Old 12-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #122
knac's-pirate
Rocket Scientist
 
knac's-pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Location: High above Los Angeles with Hair nation in my ears
Posts: 744
knac's-pirate is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuslyfolks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Listener
Well sorry but wont accept your challenge. Any request from me will be for Def Leppard, AC/DC, Aerosmith and the likes.

I would like to see a song played once or twice a day. Really wouldn't consider a song in a normal rotation if its just a 1 month thing. Not a big Priest listener and am sorry if you cant find the channel that plays huge amount of their songs. I understand what your going through. I had same issues over at XM. Thats why I am now a Sirius subscriber.

Again I see Hair Nation as more of the "Pop" Rock and Roll of the 80's and so seeing a huge cut list from the Priest will be a challenge.

Enjoy
I disagree....hairnation needs to encompass 80's metal...and since when is Judas Priest not a part of 80's metal? They were a major influence!! If they fit anywhere, they would fit best on HN!
There are many bands that are missing from the playlist...besides you can't even request an artist if it is not on there pre-formatted phone list...I tried to request "Tuff" on the "hairline" and they told me the artist did not exist. Bullsh*t! Hairnation's playlist is weak as it was two years ago...in fact they are playing the same reguritated crap they were playing when I was subscriber the first time around in '03

The request line is a joke and an insult to listeners who really know they're particular genre of music.
I requested Keel and it is not on the playlist, yet Dangerous Darren played it! I also have heard five different Judas priest tunes from four different albums.
__________________
knac's-pirate is offline  
 
 
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #123
80_Listener
Rocket Scientist
 
80_Listener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 01, 2005
Location: Castellorizon Island
Posts: 997
80_Listener is on a distinguished road
Default

Darren does seem to play a deeper cut list. Not as deep as XM's Lostyard, but still a top hit from those bands. His Gitar Gods are great.
__________________
Rehabilitated from FM Radio since 12/29/04.
Friends, Don't let Friends listen to FM.
-------------------------------------------------------
80_Listener is offline  
 
 
Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #124
knac's-pirate
Rocket Scientist
 
knac's-pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Location: High above Los Angeles with Hair nation in my ears
Posts: 744
knac's-pirate is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Listener
Darren does seem to play a deeper cut list. Not as deep as XM's Lostyard, but still a top hit from those bands. His Gitar Gods are great.
Great point! Going a little deeper with cool tunes not songs that we never listened to when we bought the cd.
__________________
knac's-pirate is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #125
knac's-pirate
Rocket Scientist
 
knac's-pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Location: High above Los Angeles with Hair nation in my ears
Posts: 744
knac's-pirate is on a distinguished road
Default

Listened to Hair nation for 10 hours again and it kicked my ass again!
Long paul rocked and, I heard Pretty maids "future world" very very cool tune!
__________________
knac's-pirate is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #126
bvloyster1
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2004
Posts: 28
bvloyster1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have to disagree...Hair Nation is awful.

Its awful, not even because it plays the MOST cliche bands of the era (which it does). Worse, it plays the most cliche songs of the most cliche bands.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn? C'mon. You can do better than that, Tawn. Rock You Like a Hurricane? Really? How many CDs have the Scorpions recorded? Pathetic.

The hair band era generated uncountable numbers of CDs. Can we try to expand the playlists a bit? Yesterday, we heard Great White, who I love. Great White has how many discs in their catalog? 10? More? I don't even know. But what song did we get?

Once Bitten, Twice Shy!!!

Dude, seriously. That sucks. Worse, its lazy.

While I'm at it, is H.N. the least bit interested in playing the NEW music from these bands? A lot of these bands are still together, and struggling to succeed. A little airplay wouldn't suck, you know. XM does it, and I'm sure the bands appreciate the exposure. Take a hint H.N., because Logan is kicking your ass. Even Cool Guy plays better stuff than this.

Howard had better be amazing, because from a playlist standpoint, Sirius is just poor.

Ultimately, maybe I'm not seeing it the right way. Is Hair Nation supposed to be about nostalgia, or is it supposed to be about playing those songs and those bands because they were authentically good? Because nostalgia wears off. Once you've heard Still of the Night again (which I've heard twice in the last 2 days) the nostalgias over. If you actually are a Whitesnake fan, then you might be happy to hear something else too.
bvloyster1 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #127
knac's-pirate
Rocket Scientist
 
knac's-pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Location: High above Los Angeles with Hair nation in my ears
Posts: 744
knac's-pirate is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvloyster1
I have to disagree...Hair Nation is awful.

Its awful, not even because it plays the MOST cliche bands of the era (which it does). Worse, it plays the most cliche songs of the most cliche bands.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn? C'mon. You can do better than that, Tawn. Rock You Like a Hurricane? Really? How many CDs have the Scorpions recorded? Pathetic.

The hair band era generated uncountable numbers of CDs. Can we try to expand the playlists a bit? Yesterday, we heard Great White, who I love. Great White has how many discs in their catalog? 10? More? I don't even know. But what song did we get?

Once Bitten, Twice Shy!!!

Dude, seriously. That sucks. Worse, its lazy.

While I'm at it, is H.N. the least bit interested in playing the NEW music from these bands? A lot of these bands are still together, and struggling to succeed. A little airplay wouldn't suck, you know. XM does it, and I'm sure the bands appreciate the exposure. Take a hint H.N., because Logan is kicking your ass. Even Cool Guy plays better stuff than this.

Howard had better be amazing, because from a playlist standpoint, Sirius is just poor.

Ultimately, maybe I'm not seeing it the right way. Is Hair Nation supposed to be about nostalgia, or is it supposed to be about playing those songs and those bands because they were authentically good? Because nostalgia wears off. Once you've heard Still of the Night again (which I've heard twice in the last 2 days) the nostalgias over. If you actually are a Whitesnake fan, then you might be happy to hear something else too.
__________________
knac's-pirate is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #128
bvloyster1
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2004
Posts: 28
bvloyster1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Why would you call me a troll for that post? Did I insult someone's mother? Did I say something personally mean about Kim Mulligan? No.

I'm merely saying that when considering the assembly of a playlist, Hair Nation might do well to pick something other than the MOST obvious song by any given band. When picking a GNR song, don't pick Welcome to the Jungle. Not because its a bad song...its not. Its simply that every single one of us has heard that song 14 million times (at least). And c'mon...every one of us knows every song from Appetite. Are Mr Brownstone or Its So Easy really considered "deep tracks"? I think not.

I'm not fool enough to expect wildly obscure from Hair Nation. I get that they aren't going to play "Seducer" from Saraya's "When the Blackbird Sings" (even though thats a SLAMMIN' song). I'm just asking for something other than the bloody top 10 hit. Because why would you want to pay $13/month for that?

I remember listening to the Cool Guy show once, and someone called in to request Enter Sandman. Cool Guy said "Oh come on...you can do better than that." So he played Jump in the Fire. That was awesome. Jump in the Fire is awesome, classic Metallica. I think I heard Enter Sandman on LiteFM the other day. See what I'm saying? A little effort goes a long way in justifying the cost of satellite. These are supposed to be the music rebels. The ones who'll play what the others won't. Even Adam Curry circa 1987 did better than this.
bvloyster1 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #129
RoadClosed
Sirius Star
 
RoadClosed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Posts: 5,758
RoadClosed will become famous soon enoughRoadClosed will become famous soon enough
Default

I bet your a Stern fan. I am wondering why all these eclectic experts suddenly popping on the scene didn't have satellite already. There's nothing rebel about it. It's just a bunch of music channels trying to garner the most subscribers to survive. But at the price its the best thing out there for music. At 13 bucks a pop Hair Nation is what 10 cents a month?

All the above Except for Hard Attack of course. They are cutting edge kick ass monster rockers.
__________________
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.


God does not believe in Athiests. Therefore they do not exist.
RoadClosed is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #130
metaljeff
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Aug 26, 2005
Posts: 31
metaljeff is on a distinguished road
Default

I love it when they play winger.

Winger RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Best Band on the channel
metaljeff is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #131
bvloyster1
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2004
Posts: 28
bvloyster1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow...thats awesome. Now I'm a johnny-come-lately to the satellite thing, just in time for Stern, huh? Nice. Good call.

Oh wait. Except I've been a satellite subscriber for 3 years. Started with XM. Switched to Sirius a year ago. Found Hair Nation to be...well...repetitive and boring. Too much Poison. Too much Def Leppard.

Just tonight...Heaven by Warrant. For the 2nd time in 2 days. Awful.

So I switched back to XM.

I will admit that I reinstated my Sirius subscription for Stern, but I was hoping that H.N had gotten a little better in that time. But no.

As for the price, I have never...not ever...regretted the $13/month. Satellite was the best thing to ever happen to my listening. But I will once again state the only point I've been making... why pay money to listen to the absolutely most common, most played, most commercial songs by any given band? That seems silly to me. Hair Nation has an opportunity to give other bands besides the 8 most cliche some air time. Maybe make you aware that "Hey listeners...Tony Martin has a new album out. Here's a cut from it". That wouldn't be so bad, would it? Then Tony might sell a few extra copies of his new CD (called "Scream", for those interested), and the genre gets to live another day.

Hair Nation does no such thing...instead seeming to be programmed by someone with the musical tastes of my freshman year high school girlfriend.
bvloyster1 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #132
kgeissler
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 88
kgeissler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kgeissler Send a message via MSN to kgeissler Send a message via Yahoo to kgeissler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Listener
Coming home from work I get into my car and turn on to find

GNR
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Ozzy

All played in that order. Damn talk about whip lash in the car. Got to love that rundown.

Great job HN...
Tune in at any given hour and you will hear those artists....probably in that order also....

Hair Nation....Same Groups, Same Songs, Same boredom...
kgeissler is offline  
 
 
Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 AM   #133
80_Listener
Rocket Scientist
 
80_Listener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 01, 2005
Location: Castellorizon Island
Posts: 997
80_Listener is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeissler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80_Listener
Coming home from work I get into my car and turn on to find

GNR
Twisted Sister
Judas Priest
Ozzy

All played in that order. Damn talk about whip lash in the car. Got to love that rundown.

Great job HN...
Tune in at any given hour and you will hear those artists....probably in that order also....

Hair Nation....Same Groups, Same Songs, Same boredom...
Lets hope so... or NOT... Neck cant take all the head banging..

Enjoy and Rock on
__________________
Rehabilitated from FM Radio since 12/29/04.
Friends, Don't let Friends listen to FM.
-------------------------------------------------------
80_Listener is offline  
 
 
Old 01-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #134
80_Listener
Rocket Scientist
 
80_Listener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 01, 2005
Location: Castellorizon Island
Posts: 997
80_Listener is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knac's-pirate
Listened to Hair nation for 10 hours again and it kicked my ass again!
Long paul rocked and, I heard Pretty maids "future world" very very cool tune!
10 hours!!! Damn Im jellous. Been awhile for me hitting 10 hours but been getting around 5-6 lately.

I think my display is starting to get "burned in" Not sure how warranty works on my radio cuz I listen to HN way too damn much.
__________________
Rehabilitated from FM Radio since 12/29/04.
Friends, Don't let Friends listen to FM.
-------------------------------------------------------
80_Listener is offline  
 
 
Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #135
knac's-pirate
Rocket Scientist
 
knac's-pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Location: High above Los Angeles with Hair nation in my ears
Posts: 744
knac's-pirate is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvloyster1
Why would you call me a troll for that post? Did I insult someone's mother? Did I say something personally mean about Kim Mulligan? No.

I'm merely saying that when considering the assembly of a playlist, Hair Nation might do well to pick something other than the MOST obvious song by any given band. When picking a GNR song, don't pick Welcome to the Jungle. Not because its a bad song...its not. Its simply that every single one of us has heard that song 14 million times (at least). And c'mon...every one of us knows every song from Appetite. Are Mr Brownstone or Its So Easy really considered "deep tracks"? I think not.

I'm not fool enough to expect wildly obscure from Hair Nation. I get that they aren't going to play "Seducer" from Saraya's "When the Blackbird Sings" (even though thats a SLAMMIN' song). I'm just asking for something other than the bloody top 10 hit. Because why would you want to pay $13/month for that?

I remember listening to the Cool Guy show once, and someone called in to request Enter Sandman. Cool Guy said "Oh come on...you can do better than that." So he played Jump in the Fire. That was awesome. Jump in the Fire is awesome, classic Metallica. I think I heard Enter Sandman on LiteFM the other day. See what I'm saying? A little effort goes a long way in justifying the cost of satellite. These are supposed to be the music rebels. The ones who'll play what the others won't. Even Adam Curry circa 1987 did better than this.
Thats how I felt when I listened to the boneyard, Same repeated b-side tune. Hair nation is a rebel station as you will not here these tunes anywhere else but Hair nation. And if you want to think that Sirius is the only sat that has repetition, check this out http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=27552

You either love this stuff or hate it. And if you hate it, change the channel!
__________________
knac's-pirate is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.