Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Rock The top tracks from the legends of rock n' roll, along side Underground, Alternative and Metal styles...all served up with the deepest Blues and the roots of Reggae.

View Poll Results: What's your initial impression of this channel?
Is good enough to become one of my presets 55 44.72%
Is good and I will listen again 26 21.14%
Is okay and I might listen again 13 10.57%
Is not enjoyable to me 12 9.76%
Is terrible and I hope it doesn't stay 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #196
RyeGuy
Rocket Scientist
 
RyeGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 15, 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 612
RyeGuy is on a distinguished road
Default

Some channels seem to have their "favorite" artists. On Coffeehouse, seems I can't go fifteen minutes without hearing Tracy Chapman or the Indigo Girls.
RyeGuy is offline  
 
 
Old 10-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #197
wbcn
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 183
wbcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gone

yes, Folktown is gone and so are many of the Sirius subscribers
wbcn is offline  
 
 
Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #198
Blink
Top Dog Member
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17, 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,527
Blink is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blink
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuy
Some channels seem to have their "favorite" artists. On Coffeehouse, seems I can't go fifteen minutes without hearing Tracy Chapman or the Indigo Girls.
Yeah I have not listened to Coffee House all that much but I do seem to hear the Indigo Girls a lot!
Blink is offline  
 
 
Old 10-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #199
RyeGuy
Rocket Scientist
 
RyeGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 15, 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 612
RyeGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcn
yes, Folktown is gone and so are many of the Sirius subscribers
We heard you the first time.
RyeGuy is offline  
 
 
Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #200
wbcn
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 183
wbcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcn
yes, Folktown is gone and so are many of the Sirius subscribers
We heard you the first time.
yeah, sorry. technical difficulties there.
wbcn is offline  
 
 
Old 10-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #201
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcn
yes, Folktown is gone and so are many of the Sirius subscribers
Dream on. The number of subsribers who left because of the loss of Folktown is miniscule.

I'm a huge fan of folk music, but even I have to admit that Folktown was mediocre at best, and could've been done much better than it was. The program director for the channel has only himself to blame for its demise.

Do you have any documented figures on the subscriber loss, or are you just blowing smoke?
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #202
Chad
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 06, 2004
Posts: 2,724
Chad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Chad Send a message via MSN to Chad Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Dream on. The number of subsribers who left because of the loss of Folktown is miniscule.

I'm a huge fan of folk music, but even I have to admit that Folktown was mediocre at best, and could've been done much better than it was. The program director for the channel has only himself to blame for its demise.

Do you have any documented figures on the subscriber loss, or are you just blowing smoke?
Speaking of blowing smoke...I could ask the same question about yourself as you seem to magically know the demographics of all the new channels that YOU just so happen to listen to.
Chad is offline  
 
 
Old 10-22-2005, 02:28 AM   #203
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Speaking of blowing smoke...I could ask the same question about yourself as you seem to magically know the demographics of all the new channels that YOU just so happen to listen to.
I'm not blowing smoke, you and your friend are.

He claims that the loss of Folktown cost Sirius a lot of subscribers.

I'm calling BS on his claim. Since he made the claim, he needs to back it up with valid documentation.

Neither of you have provided any documentation whatsoever. Why am I not surprised. Now quit blowing smoke.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-22-2005, 03:01 AM   #204
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Official Coffee House // 30 Thread
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

I listened to this channel for a few hours today and I've been very impressed with the playlist. I am finding this channel to be much improved since it first came on the air.

This was not a replacement for Folktown I think that is a given. But lets either like or dislike this channel on its own, not because it isn't a Folktown replacement.

I give this channel high marks and I think the poll reflects that most that voted do like it. Some of you just can't seem to get beyond the fact that channel isn't playing the music you expected. Sirius screwed up in telling subscribers to tune to The Coffee House to hear Folktown music.

I do agree that if Sirius lost any subscribers over this channel being removed it was so few that the impact wouldn't appear to be anything beyond normal churn.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-22-2005, 03:46 AM   #205
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
I do agree that if Sirius lost any subscribers over this channel being removed it was so few that the impact wouldn't appear to be anything beyond normal churn.
Bingo!
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #206
Chad
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 06, 2004
Posts: 2,724
Chad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Chad Send a message via MSN to Chad Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
Default Re: gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I'm not blowing smoke, you and your friend are.

He claims that the loss of Folktown cost Sirius a lot of subscribers.

I'm calling BS on his claim. Since he made the claim, he needs to back it up with valid documentation.

Neither of you have provided any documentation whatsoever. Why am I not surprised. Now quit blowing smoke.
Maybe I wasn't exactly clear on what I was trying to say. You could very well be right about Folktown not costing SIRIUS a lot of subscribers, then again you could be dead wrong as you don't have the documentation to prove it yourself - because SIRIUS doesn't release that data.

The point I was trying to make is that every time someone posts about losing a channel they care about, (that you never cared about) you always respond by saying it didn't have many listeners or its a miniscule loss and doesn't impact subscriber loss. Yet, when its a new channel like "The Coffee House" or "Revolution", which you've made abundantly clear that you listen to both, you always respond by saying how much of an audience its bringing to SIRIUS and how they'd never cancel them because it would be such an impact on subscribers, etc. How the hell do you know this? You're doing the EXACT same thing as wbcn and those people that you claim are "blowing smoke".

In other words, you're letting your emotions get in the way of what you say simply because those are channels that you listen to. BTW, that huge record sales argument you constantly post adds no validity to your claim whatsoever. You have no proof yourself so quit trying to tell everyone what is and isn't a big draw on SIRIUS.
Chad is offline  
 
 
Old 10-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #207
wbcn
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 09, 2005
Posts: 183
wbcn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gone

[quote="Chad"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
I'm not blowing smoke, you and your friend are.

He claims that the loss of Folktown cost Sirius a lot of subscribers.

I'm calling BS on his claim. Since he made the claim, he needs to back it up with valid documentation.

Neither of you have provided any documentation whatsoever. Why am I not surprised. Now quit blowing smoke.




Numbers? I can't give you a specific digit, but take a look around on the web, start with this forum then go over to the Sirius group on Yahoogroups, then have a look at the message board at folkalley.com, check out the Sirius hardware (and some subscriptions) available for sale on Ebay. I was at a Nancy Griffith concert recently and the folks in line were all abuzz about the loss of Folktown, many have moved to XM already or will soon, XM offers 4 channels of some kind of folk, it's an important genre, once they discover XM's offerings, it'll be tough to get them back.
wbcn is offline  
 
 
Old 10-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #208
SISO
Sirius Star
 
SISO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2004
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,591
SISO will become famous soon enoughSISO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SISO Send a message via MSN to SISO Send a message via Yahoo to SISO
Default

On ebay there are probably around 200 used Sirius radios. That's not many at all, and I'd say some of those are just because they want to upgrade equipment.

If Sirius take away ANY channel they are going to loose subs, but the truth is for every subscriber they loose there are 100 or so that sign up. I agree with DAB, this will just look like normal churn.

We're going to get many more subs with the new channels than we would with the ones removed IMHO.
__________________
SISO is offline  
 
 
Old 10-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #209
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Official Coffee House // 30 Thread
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Well unless there was a huge influx of used tuners on sale via Ebay which could be proved, but the fact is that isn't possible. In fact in checking out Ebay on a regular bases as I do, I have NOT seen a big influx since before the channel changes were announced to now.

There is little doubt you'll loose some people that liked specific channels, but fortunately most subscribers don't subscribe for a single channel or two. So, they will just keep their subscription. Those that left won't even appear on the radar screen, this will show up as normal churn as I said previously. I don't care what anyone is saying at Yahoo, folkalley or anywehre else, if Sirius lost 100 subscribers, which I doubt they lost that many, it would have zero impact on their decision.

I understand Folktown leaving has angered folks and I even agree they shoudln't have removed this channel, but lets be realistic.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 10-23-2005, 06:34 PM   #210
Casual Fan
Sirius Star
 
Casual Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 19, 2004
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 3,726
Casual Fan has a spectacular aura aboutCasual Fan has a spectacular aura about
Default

I think any time that Sirius deletes a genre that XM keeps, it creates a weakness in Sirius' lineup. It's not like they deleted some obscure, sub-sub-genre. This is folk music, a very popular and very American art form. It doesn't make any sense, especially given that Sirius goes completely overboard on classic rock.
__________________
We've all left and gone to
http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/
where the SBS spirit lives on!

Casual Fan is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.