Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS S50 You asked for it, now you got it! A forum all about the SIRIUS S50.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
dawk20
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 244
dawk20 is on a distinguished road
Post Working s50 or stiletto ?

Ive had two s50's now with no problems and I really like it..
I found out the Stiletto only allows 10 hours of saved favorite channels and you cannot LOVE songs from these saved channels. Thats huge for me...Assuming you had a choice between a working s50 for say 200.00 or a stiletto for their current price(300 or so) --which would you choose ?
dawk20 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
jg189
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Apr 25, 2006
Posts: 169
jg189 is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow, you are trying to start a war. For a number of reasons, including not being able to save songs from playback, and that I have zero repeater coverage where I live. The S50 is a better device for me. Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't have problems with them.
jg189 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Working s50 or stiletto ?
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

My Stiletto is the single best portable device I have ever owned. 2 years ago (when Stern was on FM) I was always bumbed because I had 4 hrs/day of radio to listen to radio (and had to fit my work out in that time)... now, I don't have enough time in the day to listen to everything I want to listen to.
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
OneDomino
Channel Surfer
 
OneDomino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 16
OneDomino is on a distinguished road
Default

You can only get an s50 w/ car kit for 200 because SIRI is rebating the F out of it.

Also there are 2 stiletto's, the s10 and the s100. The s10 goes for 250 and has no wifi, and the s100 goes for 350. Neither comes with a car kit or a home dock.

Would I take the s10 over the s50, no, it doesn't come with a car kit and it doesn't have the recording time I'm looking for and its the same amount of money. I spend a lot of time in my car and that’s what I bought it for, and so I didn't have to buy an Ipod.

I'd be pleased to take an s100 though, it does pretty much everything i'm looking for, except for having the car kit, but from what I hear, the controls in cars for ipods also work with the S100, that right there could seal the deal. It has wifi, it works in buildings, it has an antenna in the head phones, for when I'm walking or biking. It gets reception over my wifi network at home. What else could you want, how about 4.99 for unlimited downloads a month from Yahoo, ooh, that'd be great, wait...you can get that. This could be the ipod destroyer, but if I don't get my s50 replaced with one, i'm gonna tell everyone how much i hate sirius. If other people like me do the same, everyone will continue to use their ipods, or switch to xm.
OneDomino is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
dawk20
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 244
dawk20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDomino
You can only get an s50 w/ car kit for 200 because SIRI is rebating the F out of it.

Also there are 2 stiletto's, the s10 and the s100. The s10 goes for 250 and has no wifi, and the s100 goes for 350. Neither comes with a car kit or a home dock.

Would I take the s10 over the s50, no, it doesn't come with a car kit and it doesn't have the recording time I'm looking for and its the same amount of money. I spend a lot of time in my car and that’s what I bought it for, and so I didn't have to buy an Ipod.

I'd be pleased to take an s100 though, it does pretty much everything i'm looking for, except for having the car kit, but from what I hear, the controls in cars for ipods also work with the S100, that right there could seal the deal. It has wifi, it works in buildings, it has an antenna in the head phones, for when I'm walking or biking. It gets reception over my wifi network at home. What else could you want, how about 4.99 for unlimited downloads a month from Yahoo, ooh, that'd be great, wait...you can get that. This could be the ipod destroyer, but if I don't get my s50 replaced with one, i'm gonna tell everyone how much i hate sirius. If other people like me do the same, everyone will continue to use their ipods, or switch to xm.
I had XM and even if my S50 was a POS I would never switch to XM...unless stern goes there than I would be all over it
dawk20 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
rustytrombone
Sirius Star
 
rustytrombone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Posts: 2,880
rustytrombone is on a distinguished road
Default

IMO, if you got working s50s, STICK WITH THEM. The ONLY reason the s50 wasn't the device of the year last year was thanks to it's questionable workmanship.

Other than that the FM broadcasts for 100s of feet in all directions and is just the best.

Same reason I keep using my old ass Replay TV 4000 series. Sure, it's old and dated but I NEVER WATCH ANY COMMERCIALS thanks to AUTO FF.

That alone offsets ANY negative aspects.
__________________
Make you humble

bust'n heads with:
(3) S50s
Sportster Replay
Sportster 4
(2)InV
Stratus
rustytrombone is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
dawk20
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 244
dawk20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
IMO, if you got working s50s, STICK WITH THEM. The ONLY reason the s50 wasn't the device of the year last year was thanks to it's questionable workmanship.

Other than that the FM broadcasts for 100s of feet in all directions and is just the best.

Same reason I keep using my old ass Replay TV 4000 series. Sure, it's old and dated but I NEVER WATCH ANY COMMERCIALS thanks to AUTO FF.

That alone offsets ANY negative aspects.
Yep---I have a old replay tv to..(5040)--I cant use it anymore though.
When you blow up that replaytv picture on a 50" tv it looks awful ! For a small tv its great though...
dawk20 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
rustytrombone
Sirius Star
 
rustytrombone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 10, 2006
Posts: 2,880
rustytrombone is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawk20
Yep---I have a old replay tv to..(5040)--I cant use it anymore though.
When you blow up that replaytv picture on a 50" tv it looks awful ! For a small tv its great though...
I dunno.....I got a 50incher and well....on standard def it's brutal and Married with Children on F/X are broadcast off of a VHS I think but I'll be getting the 320HR Harddrive (like 100hrs High Quality) and that'll be good enough for me.

I had to actually sit through commercials the other day and DAMMIT. I can't TAKE IT!!!!!! I wait for it to skip...and realize it's not recorded. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
__________________
Make you humble

bust'n heads with:
(3) S50s
Sportster Replay
Sportster 4
(2)InV
Stratus
rustytrombone is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
dawk20
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 244
dawk20 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytrombone
I dunno.....I got a 50incher and well....on standard def it's brutal and Married with Children on F/X are broadcast off of a VHS I think but I'll be getting the 320HR Harddrive (like 100hrs High Quality) and that'll be good enough for me.

I had to actually sit through commercials the other day and DAMMIT. I can't TAKE IT!!!!!! I wait for it to skip...and realize it's not recorded. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Its off topic but you may want to look into renting an HDDVR thru the cable company. No reason having a 50 inch HDTV and feeding it crappy standard definintion tv.
dawk20 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Heeb
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Mar 29, 2006
Posts: 168
Heeb is on a distinguished road
Default the Stilettos don't record correct?

If not then I like my s50 over the portable units.
Heeb is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
alfie
Loyal Listener
 
alfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 26, 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 187
alfie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawk20
Ive had two s50's now with no problems and I really like it..
I found out the Stiletto only allows 10 hours of saved favorite channels and you cannot LOVE songs from these saved channels. Thats huge for me...Assuming you had a choice between a working s50 for say 200.00 or a stiletto for their current price(300 or so) --which would you choose ?
I'm sticking with my S50 for the very reasons you point out. Mine works fine and I like being able to love songs from My Channels. Since to update to 1.4 my recording works great. The only feature I would like is bookmarking or at least saving your last playback position withint a show.
__________________
Gregg Prince
Buffalo, NY
alfie is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Working s50 or stiletto ?
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeb
If not then I like my s50 over the portable units.
Yes, the Stilettos record.
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
usiphi203
Sirius Star
Working s50 or stiletto ?
 
usiphi203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 25, 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,536
usiphi203 has a spectacular aura aboutusiphi203 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie
I'm sticking with my S50 for the very reasons you point out. Mine works fine and I like being able to love songs from My Channels. Since to update to 1.4 my recording works great. The only feature I would like is bookmarking or at least saving your last playback position withint a show.
I agree. But I have a feeling my gf is getting me the Stiletto for Christmas, she got me the S50 last year, I guess she thinks I need an update.
usiphi203 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
dawk20
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 244
dawk20 is on a distinguished road
Default Only 10 hours of recording space?

Is it true the Stiletto can only record 10 hours of live shows ?
dawk20 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #15
OneDomino
Channel Surfer
 
OneDomino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 31, 2006
Posts: 16
OneDomino is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawk20
Is it true the Stiletto can only record 10 hours of live shows ?
there are 2 models.

the s10 records 10 hours

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIU...oductDetail.do

the s100 records 100 hours of content


http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIU...oductDetail.do
__________________

OneDomino
OneDomino is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updating your S50 using a Mac tvBilly SIRIUS S50 60 09-19-2007 03:20 PM
Sirius replacing S50 with Stiletto Avalanche SIRIUS S50 53 03-02-2007 10:05 AM
SW Enhancement Req - PC/Broadband recording via S50 Software Larry H SIRIUS S50 5 02-12-2006 07:51 PM
Figuring out Bit Rates (Kbps) on the S50 SiriusDog79 SIRIUS S50 2 01-06-2006 11:18 AM
The Sirius S50 besttastetowaste SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 1 08-28-2005 11:12 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.