Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Sports If you love the thrill of the game, SIRIUS offers the best in sports action streamed directly to your radio, no matter where you go. Keep up with the latest live broadcasts of the NBA and every NFL regular season game.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 03:52 AM   #31
gilpdawg
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 20, 2004
Location: New Paris, OH
Posts: 830
gilpdawg is on a distinguished road
Default

I like hockey, but I'm not a diehard fan or anything, but trust me, ESPN isn't crying any tears over not having the NHL anymore. Fricking POKER drew bigger ratings for ESPN than hockey did. I like to play poker. Watch on TV? Not so much.
gilpdawg is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #32
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Sirius also has English Premiere Soccer. Soccer is the world's most popular team sport.
Which means exactly dick unless Sirius is available across Europe. Soccer is virtually ignored in the US. You wanna talk about how unpopular hockey is, take a look at soccer.
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #33
MeDude
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2004
Location: here
Posts: 379
MeDude is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
I love hockey but if it wasnt for the Pens getting Crosby i admit i would probaly have no interest in it right now.
Then you don't love hockey, plain and simple. Since the Pens only just got Crosby this year, you apprarently were never a fan previously. So how can you say you love it, but only because if Crosby?

I do love Ice hockey, Played it, coached it and have always watched it, Had season tixs for Flyers who im not really a fan of but i could go see it live and also garaneteed me to see my Pens the few times a year they came to town.

The whole mess last year has turned me somewhat sour on it. Does that mean i would never watch it? No, As the season went on i would probaly get back into it like past years.
But when they announced the deal was made and they would have a season this year I was was like oh ok, It didnt do for me what i though it would.

When the Pens got to draft Crosby, reading all the hype in the Pitt papers about how good he might be started to peak my interest, so i started to get into it now which i didnt think i would.
If they hadnt got this kid i can pretty much say that i probaly wouldnt care what is going on right now and it would take a while for me to re-find my love for the game.
You dont go away for a year, then come back like nothing happend.
MeDude is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #34
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
But when they announced the deal was made and they would have a season this year I was was like oh ok, It didnt do for me what i though it would.
We're definitely different then because I missed it alot while it was gone and followed sports news as different meetings happened and such, hoping they'd announce things were settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
When the Pens got to draft Crosby, reading all the hype in the Pitt papers about how good he might be started to peak my interest, so i started to get into it now which i didnt think i would.
I can't get that interested because of a single player....I'm a fan of the team, not the individual. While I was happy the Flyers improved themselves and got rid of some dead wood, if Forsberg was hurt for an extended time, I wouldn't lose interest in the team or the sport until he came back.
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 AM   #35
MeDude
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2004
Location: here
Posts: 379
MeDude is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh i did miss it last year, but as the year went on i started to kinda get annoyed at why they were not playing and not miss it as much.
Every year in early Sept i would start getting amped up cause puck drop time was coming, didnt happen this year to what i guess is my feelings from the issues last year.

One player is not the reason that started to get my juices flowing, But it was the intrigue of the possibilities of that one player that got me to start paying a little more attention to the team and sport once again.
I have always been a fan of "the" team, not cause of one player, but the all the teams and the league said last year its not worth it, thats not like an injury.
But when your annoyed at a sport for how they seem to always waste opportunities to become more then a niche sport it usually seems to be "one" thing that helps bring back the old timers.

Flyers fan huh, Ah your just jealous the Pens got uncle Mark and Grandpa John, lol.
MeDude is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #36
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
Oh i did miss it last year, but as the year went on i started to kinda get annoyed at why they were not playing and not miss it as much.
I was annoyed but then realized both sides were just millionaires arguing over money so what can you do. I don't have any real serious investment in the game. Minimum of 2 hours drive to the nearest pro rink so I don't have season tickets. All the last season off did was save me the cost of Center Ice for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
Flyers fan huh, Ah your just jealous the Pens got uncle Mark and Grandpa John, lol.
Hehe, like I said....cut some dead wood. Of course when the Flyers and Pens meet, they'll both have huge games.
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #37
MeDude
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2004
Location: here
Posts: 379
MeDude is on a distinguished road
Default

>>Of course when the Flyers and Pens meet, they'll both have huge games
------

Dont you love how you get rid of Clark Kent, then when they play on some other team against your team they turn into Superman.
MeDude is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #38
gridironmike
Rocket Scientist
 
gridironmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2004
Location: Southern WV
Posts: 637
gridironmike is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
You neglected to mention that Sirius has the NBA with its 82 game schedule. The NBA regular season and playoffs/championship draw way more fans than the NHL. If the NHL even has playoffs and a championship this year. They didn't last year. They didn't even have a regular season, for that matter.

The great Bobby Orr said just a few months ago that the NHL better get its stuff together, or they are in danger of losing their status as a major league sport.

The NFL and NBA contracts are clearly safer than the considerably less popular, financially shaky and unreliable NHL.

NASCAR will bring more fans to Sirius than the NHL will to XM.

Sirius also has English Premiere Soccer. Soccer is the world's most popular team sport.

Sirius has the NFL Super Bowl, probably the most popular single sporting event on the planet.

Sirius has the NCAA Basketball tournament, which is also immensely popular.

Sirius also has Horce Racing, which is popular around the world.

I'd say Sirius has a VERY CLEAR sports plan. Actually a BETTER plan than XM.
Are we sparring or something? XM has the NBA on ESPN Radio, so its not an exclusive thing for Sirius. As a matter of fact, the Finals were on ESPN Radio too. You put the NFL and NASCAR (which XM has exclusively until 2007) up against the NHL, but don't mention that XM has MLB (exclusively). English soccer....how many people in England have Sirius? XM will have the World Cup, so soccer isn't exclusive to Sirius either. Sirius DOES have the Super Bowl...which is the most WATCHED event in television. XM has added XM Deportivo for the Spanish speaking crowd and the NHL will fill some Canadian content. I'm not saying one or the other is better. Each has its strong points. Just don't try to sell me on the BETTER plan theory. XM will have 6 million subscribers at years end. How many will Sirius have?
__________________

Dual service subscriber since 8-25-06.
gridironmike is offline  
 
 
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #39
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
Dont you love how you get rid of Clark Kent, then when they play on some other team against your team they turn into Superman.
Worked out great for the Flyers when LeClair came from Montreal
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #40
lovedog
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 04, 2004
Location: Smithers, North Central British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 82
lovedog is on a distinguished road
Default

I think hockey is back and the fans and players can't wait for the puck to drop!
Here's an article from Canadian Press.

Hockey Buzz Back as NHL Sets To Open For Real Next Week

http://www.mytelus.com/sports/articl...icleID=2039126
lovedog is offline  
 
 
Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #41
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridironmike
Are we sparring or something? XM has the NBA on ESPN Radio, so its not an exclusive thing for Sirius. As a matter of fact, the Finals were on ESPN Radio too. You put the NFL and NASCAR (which XM has exclusively until 2007) up against the NHL, but don't mention that XM has MLB (exclusively). English soccer....how many people in England have Sirius? XM will have the World Cup, so soccer isn't exclusive to Sirius either. Sirius DOES have the Super Bowl...which is the most WATCHED event in television. XM has added XM Deportivo for the Spanish speaking crowd and the NHL will fill some Canadian content. I'm not saying one or the other is better. Each has its strong points. Just don't try to sell me on the BETTER plan theory. XM will have 6 million subscribers at years end. How many will Sirius have?
Sirius has the ENTIRE NBA. ESPN doesn't even come close.

I'll use your logic, and mention that Sirius listeners can get baseball on ESPN radio. So tit for tat, XM fanboy.

English Premiere League Soccer is popular with soccer fans in many countries, not just Britain. So you show your ignorance of the sport. And they didn't cancel their entire previous season like the NHL. They also aren't costing Sirius anywhere near a hundred mill.

And kudos to Sirius for having the Super Bowl on radio. I'll be at work when the Super Bowl is played, so radio is the only way I'll get to enjoy it.

Your comment that XM will have six million subscribers at year's end is irrelevant and laughable. They darn sure don't have that many because of NHL hockey, and that's what this thread is about.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 AM   #42
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
English Premiere League Soccer is popular with soccer fans in many countries, not just Britain.
But the country in question is the US and unfortunately it's not on your list...outside of the various supporters clubs around the country, in the US soccer is a sport that is less popular than hockey.
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #43
gridironmike
Rocket Scientist
 
gridironmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2004
Location: Southern WV
Posts: 637
gridironmike is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
Sirius has the ENTIRE NBA. ESPN doesn't even come close.

I'll use your logic, and mention that Sirius listeners can get baseball on ESPN radio. So tit for tat, XM fanboy.

English Premiere League Soccer is popular with soccer fans in many countries, not just Britain. So you show your ignorance of the sport. And they didn't cancel their entire previous season like the NHL. They also aren't costing Sirius anywhere near a hundred mill.

And kudos to Sirius for having the Super Bowl on radio. I'll be at work when the Super Bowl is played, so radio is the only way I'll get to enjoy it.

Your comment that XM will have six million subscribers at year's end is irrelevant and laughable. They darn sure don't have that many because of NHL hockey, and that's what this thread is about.
FACT - Sirius does NOT broadcast every NBA game.
FACT - No tit for you. MLB is NOT available on ESPN Radio on Sirius, period.
FACT - XM will have the FIFA World Cup and other soccer on XM Deportivo...and it isn't costing them a hundred mill.
FACT - Kudos to Sirius for having the Super Bowl.. Fact is more people watch it than any other broadcast.
FACT - Sirius doesn't have as many subscribers as XM because of the NFL, NBA, or anything else they do have, Sirius fanboy.

Now, for your info, I happen to listen to both XM and Sirius. In my opinion, Sirius throws more money at properties than XM does. XM has twice as many subscribers than Sirius does. XM is making more money than Sirius is on subscriptions alone. They are not spending as much for their content, and they are getting a LOT more live play by play with the MLB and NHL packages than Sirius will with the NFL and NASCAR. I say this and I'm an NFL and NASCAR fan long before a MLB fan and I don't even care about the NHL.
__________________

Dual service subscriber since 8-25-06.
gridironmike is offline  
 
 
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #44
elistoughton
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY/Media, PA
Posts: 790
elistoughton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to elistoughton Send a message via MSN to elistoughton
Default

There is talk of OLN picking up MLB games in the future. I'm kinda happy about this, only because OLN happens to be included with my basic cable, where ESPN isn't.
__________________
Lifetime Subscriber
elistoughton is offline  
 
 
Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 AM   #45
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

"FACT - Sirius does NOT broadcast every NBA game."

>>FACT: They broadcast a helluva lot more than ESPN.
---------------------------------

"FACT - XM will have the FIFA World Cup and other soccer on XM Deportivo...and it isn't costing them a hundred mill."

>>FACT: XM Deportivo is a Spanish language channel. Unfortunately, the great majority of XM subscribers don't speak or understand Spanish. So that's yet another of your irrelevant points.
-----------------------------------

"FACT - Kudos to Sirius for having the Super Bowl.. Fact is more people watch it than any other broadcast."

>>FACT: Many people like myself have to work on Super Bowl day, and will be unable to watch it on TV. Thanks to Sirius, we'll still be able to enjoy the game.
------------------------------------

"FACT - Sirius doesn't have as many subscribers as XM because of the NFL, NBA, or anything else they do have, Sirius fanboy."

FACT: The race for SatRadio supremacy is still in the early stages. The early leader in virtually any kind of race doesn't always end up winning. So talk your childish trash while you're able.

By the way, I've been a subscriber to both Sirius and XM for about two years now. No true "Sirius fanboy" would subscribe to both. So you're wrong again. Nothing new there.
---------------------------------------

"Now, for your info, I happen to listen to both XM and Sirius. In my opinion, Sirius throws more money at properties than XM does. XM has twice as many subscribers than Sirius does. XM is making more money than Sirius is on subscriptions alone. They are not spending as much for their content, and they are getting a LOT more live play by play with the MLB and NHL packages than Sirius will with the NFL and NASCAR. I say this and I'm an NFL and NASCAR fan long before a MLB fan and I don't even care about the NHL."

>>XM threw a hundred mill at a sport that cancelled its entire season last year, is on shaky financial ground, has a crappy TV deal with a mediocre cable channel, and is on the verge of becoming a minor league sport.

And once again you failed to factor in the NBA. Sirius will smoke XM on live play by play with the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, NCAA Basketball tournament, Wimbledon (World's most prestigious and widely followed tennis tournament) etc. etc.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.