Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS Sports If you love the thrill of the game, SIRIUS offers the best in sports action streamed directly to your radio, no matter where you go. Keep up with the latest live broadcasts of the NBA and every NFL regular season game.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #76
lovedog
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 04, 2004
Location: Smithers, North Central British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 82
lovedog is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
The tv ratings for the OLN broadcast on Flyers-Rangers was a 0.4
Doesn't mean shit! Prove it. Also post the Canadian TV ratings too.
lovedog is offline  
 
 
Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #77
MeDude
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2004
Location: here
Posts: 379
MeDude is on a distinguished road
Default

Didnt see the canadian ratings.

As a fan of hockey i hate to say it but it does mean something, it means that hockey will continue to be a cult sport where most of the true fans are at the game and hardly no one else watches it.
MeDude is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #78
cheerioboy26
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Tysons Corner, Va.
Posts: 474
cheerioboy26 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
Didnt see the canadian ratings.

As a fan of hockey i hate to say it but it does mean something, it means that hockey will continue to be a cult sport where most of the true fans are at the game and hardly no one else watches it.
That will always be true to some extent, but there were also 14 other games being played that night, and most people are interested in watching their home town team (or favorite team) first.
cheerioboy26 is offline  
 
 
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #79
Jackinbox
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jan 26, 2004
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 62
Jackinbox is on a distinguished road
Default

Renaissance Man, I'm not sure what fuels your deep hatred of the NHL, but nonetheless you should really look at this objectively.


Quote:
If the NHL is so popular up there, how come they can only bring in puny crowds of 20,000 or less?
NBA Average Home Attendance for the 2004-2005 season:

1 Detroit 22,076
2 Dallas 20,032
3 Chicago 19,977
4 Miami 19,856
5 New York 19,505
6 Cleveland 18,981
7 Utah 18,841
8 LA Lakers 18,812
9 San Antonio 18,278
10 Philadelphia 17,710
11 Phoenix 17,609
12 Denver 17,500
13 Sacramento 17,317
14 Minnesota 17,177
15 Toronto 17,081
16 Washington 17,063
17 LA Clippers 16,807
18 Indiana 16,806
19 Memphis 16,753
20 Seattle 16,426
21 Portland 16,415
22 Golden State 16,083
23 Houston 15,977
24 Boston 15,756
25 Milwaukee 15,597
26 New Jersey 14,841
27 Orlando 14,533
28 Charlotte 14,475
29 Atlanta 14,234
30 New Orleans 14,092

Source

So by your analogy the NBA sucks because it draws such PUNY crowds? Therefore Mel should let XM have them NBA as well.

Quote:
Some of the HIGH SCHOOL football games in my area have been known to draw crowds of 10 to 15 thousand.
I don't see how that is relative to anything we're talking about here.

Quote:
NHL attendance figures are a joke. Edmonton's CFL football team brings in crowds of over 40,000--twice as many people as the Montreal Canadiens can bring in. And the Montreal metro area is about 2 1/2 times larger than Edmonton!
The Jacksonville Jaguars average 65,624 while the New York Knicks only draw 19,505. And the NYC metro area is about 9 times larger than Jacksonville!! NBA attendance figures must be a joke too, right?

Comparing attendance figures between different sports is absurd. The Indianapolis 500 gets about 400,000 but the Indianapolis Colts only average 56,793......but one has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:
And if the NHL is so popular up there, how come some of the owners of the teams you listed, have been threatening to pack up their teams and move to the U.S. for the last several years?
Popularity has nothing to do with teams moving and you know that. The Cleveland Browns left even though every game was sold out. There are a lot of other factors involved.

Quote:
The hard fact of the matter is, the NHL doesn't draw SQUAT.
By your analogy, neither does the NBA.
Jackinbox is offline  
 
 
Old 10-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #80
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Jackinbox's deeply flawed arguments are amusing indeed.

Number one, we were talking about NHL crowds in Canada, where Hockey is the fricking NATIONAL SPORT. Basketball isn't the national sport in the USA, and the USA isn't Canada. So ol' Jack's arguments are loopy-loo already.

Due to the NBA's multi-billion dollar TV (Broadcast AND Cable ) and terrestrial radio contracts, MILLIONS of Americans can pick up an extensive number of NBA games at home or on the road--rather than having to pay dearly to go see them live.

Also, compare NBA ticket and refreshment prices for a family of four in Los Angeles, and NHL ticket/refreshment prices for a family of four in Montreal, and you'll know yet another major reason why there aren't larger crowds at NBA games.

Jack's apples-and-oranges comparison is irrelevant, like most of his posts.

I compared Canadian Football League attendance figures with Canadian NHL figures, which is an appropriate apples-apples comparison.

XM will get ridiculously few Canadian subscribers because of the NHL. Hockey being the national sport in Canada, people would much rather see it live or on TV.

The NHL will bring XM a couple thousand subscriptions, if they're lucky. And don't count on much advertising revenue, since hardly anybody will be listening to the NHL on XM.

The NHL--XM's hundred million dollar albatross.

Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 AM   #81
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeDude
As a fan of hockey i hate to say it but it does mean something, it means that hockey will continue to be a cult sport where most of the true fans are at the game and hardly no one else watches it.
Or listens to it on the radio!
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #82
lovedog
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 04, 2004
Location: Smithers, North Central British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 82
lovedog is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Number one, we were talking about NHL crowds in Canada, where Hockey is the fricking NATIONAL SPORT. Basketball isn't the national sport in the USA, and the USA isn't Canada. So ol' Jack's arguments are loopy-loo already.
Since when is hockey Canada's national sport? Nobody correct him here, let him do is own research before he comes on this form and shots his mouth off. You got to get your facts right.
lovedog is offline  
 
 
Old 10-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #83
gridironmike
Rocket Scientist
 
gridironmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2004
Location: Southern WV
Posts: 637
gridironmike is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
deeply flawed arguments are amusing indeed.


XM will get ridiculously few Canadian subscribers because of the NHL. Hockey being the national sport in Canada, people would much rather see it live or on TV.
Sirius will get ridiculously few American subscribers because of the NFL. Football being the national sport in the United States, people would much rather see it live or on TV.

You are a hoot!
__________________

Dual service subscriber since 8-25-06.
gridironmike is offline  
 
 
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #84
BatSh*tCrazy
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 966
BatSh*tCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedog
Since when is hockey Canada's national sport? Nobody correct him here, let him do is own research before he comes on this form and shots his mouth off. You got to get your facts right.

I always thought Curling was Canada's national sport!
__________________
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

http://www.zod2008.com/
BatSh*tCrazy is offline  
 
 
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 AM   #85
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridironmike
Sirius will get ridiculously few American subscribers because of the NFL. Football being the national sport in the United States, people would much rather see it live or on TV.

You are a hoot!
You are an ignoramus.

You make an utterly irrelevant and illogical comparison between two totally different sports in two totally different countries. Sorry, but your apples-to-oranges comparison is rotten and stinking rather badly.

NFL football has TENS OF MILLIONS more fans than NHL Hockey. The number of people who watch the NFL dwarfs the pathetic number that watch the NHL.

The NFL has the sweetest TV deals of virtually any sport--national broadcast TV, Cable TV and Satellite TV.

When those TENS OF MILLIONS of people watch NFL football on all of those various TV outlets, they'll see and hear SIRIUS COMMERCIALS by guys like three-time Super Bowl champ Tom Brady, and popular sportscasters like John Madden.

I've been seeing Sirius commercials on Monday Night Football on a regular basis, and they're also on the Sunday games.

Please tell us about all the famous NHL players and sportscasters that are doing commercials for XM on NATIONAL TV.

OOOOPSSSSIIIIIEEEEEE! You CAN'T tell me, because it AIN't happening.

Even if they were doing it, they wouldn't be seen by more than a few percentage points of the total number of people who will see Sirius ads during NFL games.

The National HOKEY League! XM can HAVE the BUMS!

NHL--XM's hundred million dollar albatross.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #86
shinner
Mixologist
 
Join Date: May 30, 2005
Posts: 435
shinner is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatSh*tCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedog
Since when is hockey Canada's national sport? Nobody correct him here, let him do is own research before he comes on this form and shots his mouth off. You got to get your facts right.

I always thought Curling was Canada's national sport!
Pretty sure it's lacrosse, eh?
shinner is offline  
 
 
Old 10-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #87
lovedog
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 04, 2004
Location: Smithers, North Central British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 82
lovedog is on a distinguished road
Default

T.V. audience for the first weekend from the NHL.

Quote:
Hockey audiences: After its record-setting opener last Wednesday (2.1 million for Ottawa Senators-Toronto Maple Leafs), TSN had 489,000 viewers for Montreal Canadiens-New York Rangers last Thursday, up 52 per cent from a national NHL telecast in 2003-04.
For the regional Leafs-Senators game on Monday (TSN in Ontario and Rogers Sportsnet in Ottawa and East), TSN pulled in 716,000 viewers and Sportsnet 199,000. TSN's 2003-04 average for Leafs regional telecasts was 476,000; Sportsnet's Senators average was below 100,000.
On Monday in the Pacific region, Sportsnet drew 519,000 for the Vancouver Canucks-Detroit Red Wings telecast, just below the record of 525,000 in 2002.
On Tuesday, TSN's Philadelphia Flyers-Leafs regional game had an audience of 652,000 viewers.
Now that did not include CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada".
Did your soccer league get that many viewers on it's opening weekend?
lovedog is offline  
 
 
Old 10-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #88
Renaissance Man
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Jul 27, 2005
Posts: 1,190
Renaissance Man is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedog
Now that did not include CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada".
Did your soccer league get that many viewers on it's opening weekend?
Sorry to ruin your straw man ploy, but quite frankly, I don't give a $#!+ about Soccer or the NHL.

Soccer was only brought up to prove just how lame the NHL really is.

The difference being, pro Soccer is on the rise, while the NHL has been declining for years.

Don't take my word for it, laddie. The great Bobby Orr and other legends of Hockey have said recently that the NHL is dangerously close to losing its status as a major league sport--if it hasn't already!

And I'll take their informed opinion over your uninformed one in a quick minute.
Renaissance Man is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #89
jaxpatrick
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Feb 23, 2005
Location: jacksonville
Posts: 1,442
jaxpatrick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jaxpatrick
Default

I was surprised that the NHL did not go with ESPN. I also was surprised that ESPN walked away from the NHL. The NHL is what allowed ESPN to become a sports king in the early days. It was the first sport that they were able to televise on a regular basis. After the strike you would have thought that the NHL would have realized how important it is to be on ESPN. Maybe it will allow OLN to start to compete with ESPN on other sports contracts but does that help or hurt the sports fans?
__________________
Patrick
jaxpatrick is offline  
 
 
Old 11-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #90
Meatwad
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 696
Meatwad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Meatwad
Default

i dont really see why NHL is on OLN... OLN is for outdoor sports, hockey aint an outdoor sport...
__________________
Sirius Addict Since 10-2-05
Meatwad is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.