Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) Now that the FCC has "approved" the merger, discuss all the aspects of it and the newly formed company.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #31
buttbongo
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2008
Posts: 3
buttbongo is on a distinguished road
Default

i canceled my sirius sub but still have xm so i think im just gonna wait and see-stern was the reason i got sirius but man has his show gotten bad
buttbongo is offline  
 
 
Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #32
TimTimSalabim
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Sep 13, 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 162
TimTimSalabim is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm curious to how they're going to make this work on 'most existing radios'. They're going to have to take away bandwidth from somewhere, no?
TimTimSalabim is offline  
 
 
Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #33
IdRatherBeSkiing
Sirius Star
 
IdRatherBeSkiing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,845
IdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enoughIdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimSalabim View Post
I'm curious to how they're going to make this work on 'most existing radios'. They're going to have to take away bandwidth from somewhere, no?
They will take the bandwidth from somewhere. Probably compress more. I believe they can't drop channels due to FCC promises.

I think the radios it won't work on are older Sirius radios that don't get the new Canadian channels.
__________________
XM Subscriber since 2005/12/05:
  • Pioneer Airware *2
  • Tao
  • Pontiac G5 (XM Canada)
Siruus Subscriber since 2007/12/06:
  • Stilletto 2 (LIFE)
  • Premium Internet
  • 8Gb Sandisk microSDHC (1400+ songs)
Led Zeppelin sucks until 2008/12/31 (or popular demand).
You can find me here:
IdRatherBeSkiing is offline  
 
 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #34
speedy
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2007
Posts: 170
speedy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyv07 View Post
I feel just the opposite. I made a very bad move going with Sirius, but who could have predicted that this would happen. Think about it....

If I were an XM sub I could upgrade to a best of both package and get

MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and Howard Stern and O and A and Nascar, and everything else for $16.99.

If I didn't have a lifetime sub to Sirius, I would jump as soon as I could to XM. I feel to make this a fair deal, MLB must be offered to Sirius subs as soon as the new season starts. There is no reason why we should be shut out of the playoffs and world series of this season. Cmon!!!
I would have to agree with all you said.

I was a dual sub that made the investment in Sirius (purchased additional hardware and went to a family plan... dropping XM) because all I listened to on XM was MLB. Figured that when the merger happens they will make MLB available to Sirius subs.

That omission is huge in my eyes. I am hoping that they at least remove the ESPN "blackouts" that they had before for the MLB playoffs for this year and offer MLB in the spring.

While I can see that there may be bandwidth issues on Sirius' end (XM seems to be able to add NFL while keeping MLB) they seriously need to fix this mistake (and that is the correct wording... mistake).
speedy is offline  
 
 
Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #35
ctkatz
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 26, 2008
Posts: 82
ctkatz is on a distinguished road
Default

i don't not disagree with this decision sirius made.

the plan goes into effect october 6. by that time at most there would be a MONTH of baseball total left to go. the question is, would it be worth it to have a month of games and then basically go dark for 5-6 months? i would think no. i'm not sure if there is a dedicated mlb channel on xm like there is a dedicated nhl channel on xm and dedicated nascar and nfl channels on sirius. if there isn't, it's a good move right now. by the time baseball season rolls around again new radios will be on the market.

so in other words, you have to consider timing before you start bitching about no baseball. i love baseball, and the cubs look like they may make the playoffs so i would more than likely be a user with an interest in the postseason, but i think it would be a better business decision to wait until next season to offer baseball on sirius and by that time there will be interoperable radios on the market, so it looks to be a moot issue for next year. i expect sirius to offer baseball next season to take advantage of the new year rather than now when it wouldn't do much good for some subscribers.
ctkatz is offline  
 
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #36
jr461
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 248
jr461 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkatz View Post
i don't not disagree with this decision sirius made.

the plan goes into effect october 6. by that time at most there would be a MONTH of baseball total left to go. the question is, would it be worth it to have a month of games and then basically go dark for 5-6 months? i would think no. i'm not sure if there is a dedicated mlb channel on xm like there is a dedicated nhl channel on xm and dedicated nascar and nfl channels on sirius. if there isn't, it's a good move right now. by the time baseball season rolls around again new radios will be on the market.

so in other words, you have to consider timing before you start bitching about no baseball. i love baseball, and the cubs look like they may make the playoffs so i would more than likely be a user with an interest in the postseason, but i think it would be a better business decision to wait until next season to offer baseball on sirius and by that time there will be interoperable radios on the market, so it looks to be a moot issue for next year. i expect sirius to offer baseball next season to take advantage of the new year rather than now when it wouldn't do much good for some subscribers.
The only thing I disagree with here is that MLB home plate runs all year. When I had XM, I knew I could always turn to that if there was nothing on I was interested in.
__________________
Sirius since 10/29/05 (2 Starmate Replays)
jr461 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #37
richmo58
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2008
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 10
richmo58 is on a distinguished road
Default

OK, here's what I want to do...not sure if it'll be easy.

My car has XM built in, which I'm not presently using. I'm a Sirius customer...mostly for Howard, but I like the idea of having baseball. And I like the idea of using the car radio, since its built-in.

It sounds to me I should switch my subscription over to XM and add "best of Sirius". I'm paying on a yearly basis for Sirius (not sure when it starts...I'll have to look). Do you think I'll be able to just switch things around or will I have to go thru canceling Sirius and starting up XM + best of?
richmo58 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #38
IdRatherBeSkiing
Sirius Star
 
IdRatherBeSkiing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,845
IdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enoughIdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo58 View Post
OK, here's what I want to do...not sure if it'll be easy.

My car has XM built in, which I'm not presently using. I'm a Sirius customer...mostly for Howard, but I like the idea of having baseball. And I like the idea of using the car radio, since its built-in.

It sounds to me I should switch my subscription over to XM and add "best of Sirius". I'm paying on a yearly basis for Sirius (not sure when it starts...I'll have to look). Do you think I'll be able to just switch things around or will I have to go thru canceling Sirius and starting up XM + best of?
You may be able to eventually. I don't think in the short term. However, you could probably convince the XM CSR to waive your activation fee which would be the same thing.
__________________
XM Subscriber since 2005/12/05:
  • Pioneer Airware *2
  • Tao
  • Pontiac G5 (XM Canada)
Siruus Subscriber since 2007/12/06:
  • Stilletto 2 (LIFE)
  • Premium Internet
  • 8Gb Sandisk microSDHC (1400+ songs)
Led Zeppelin sucks until 2008/12/31 (or popular demand).
You can find me here:
IdRatherBeSkiing is offline  
 
 
Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #39
vinnyv07
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 08, 2008
Posts: 32
vinnyv07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo58 View Post
OK, here's what I want to do...not sure if it'll be easy.

My car has XM built in, which I'm not presently using. I'm a Sirius customer...mostly for Howard, but I like the idea of having baseball. And I like the idea of using the car radio, since its built-in.

It sounds to me I should switch my subscription over to XM and add "best of Sirius". I'm paying on a yearly basis for Sirius (not sure when it starts...I'll have to look). Do you think I'll be able to just switch things around or will I have to go thru canceling Sirius and starting up XM + best of?
I would take the wait and see approach, but if everything stays as is and you are able to get the best of Sirius on your built in XM radio, I would switch over in a heartbeat. I love Sirius and I don't ever want to go back to life without it. But if I wasn't a lifetime sub, I would cancel and start up a XM subscription and get the best of Sirius and have the best of both worlds. To me it would be a no-brainer.
vinnyv07 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #40
tsave31
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 13, 2005
Posts: 20
tsave31 is on a distinguished road
Default

Has anyone contacted Sirius or read anything somewhere regarding the whole MLB situation?
tsave31 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #41
syphix924
Mixologist
 
syphix924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: 339
syphix924 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2006 View Post
Do you think they will make all the music channels the same? if yes, when?
It's in SIRIUS XM's best interest to merge channels as soon as possible and start seeing real savings (i.e., reduction of staff, infrastructure, etc.). But it's a BIG job. And sure to piss off many listeners on both sides. As a dual subscriber who really only subscribes to SIRIUS for Howard, the NFL, and Radio Margaritaville, I like the "Best of SIRIUS" package for my XM subscription...and would drop my SIRIUS subscription completely if they merged music channels and offered Radio Margaritaville on XM. We'll wait and see...
__________________
:Nathan:
syphix924 is offline  
 
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #42
rainwater
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2006
Posts: 84
rainwater is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsave31 View Post
Has anyone contacted Sirius or read anything somewhere regarding the whole MLB situation?
If they were going to add MLB, they would of said so. It's clear it isn't happening with this package. It could have to do with the deal they have with MLB.
rainwater is offline  
 
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #43
ctkatz
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Mar 26, 2008
Posts: 82
ctkatz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
If they were going to add MLB, they would of said so. It's clear it isn't happening with this package. It could have to do with the deal they have with MLB.
i could only see that if there were specific language in the contract saying such. that the nhl and nfl and nascar are crossing over i doubt that there was a specific stipulation in there.

if anything, i would be upset that realistically speaking xm subscribers gained 6 whereas i as a sirius subscriber gained 6, (i hear that the nba contract was up at the end of this past season, so nothing really lost there) especially if the nba channel is one of those best of 11 that the company promised. there had better be another channel from xm to be offered on sirius. while i do not follow the nba anymore it looks to me to be ritcheously unfair that after all the mergertalk, i only have really gained 10 channels when xm listeners gained 11.
ctkatz is offline  
 
 
Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #44
IdRatherBeSkiing
Sirius Star
 
IdRatherBeSkiing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,845
IdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enoughIdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkatz View Post
i could only see that if there were specific language in the contract saying such. that the nhl and nfl and nascar are crossing over i doubt that there was a specific stipulation in there.

if anything, i would be upset that realistically speaking xm subscribers gained 6 whereas i as a sirius subscriber gained 6, (i hear that the nba contract was up at the end of this past season, so nothing really lost there) especially if the nba channel is one of those best of 11 that the company promised. there had better be another channel from xm to be offered on sirius. while i do not follow the nba anymore it looks to me to be ritcheously unfair that after all the mergertalk, i only have really gained 10 channels when xm listeners gained 11.

I think the MLB language is different and more exclusive. It is also much more $$$ than the NHL or NASCAR or the NFL.
__________________
XM Subscriber since 2005/12/05:
  • Pioneer Airware *2
  • Tao
  • Pontiac G5 (XM Canada)
Siruus Subscriber since 2007/12/06:
  • Stilletto 2 (LIFE)
  • Premium Internet
  • 8Gb Sandisk microSDHC (1400+ songs)
Led Zeppelin sucks until 2008/12/31 (or popular demand).
You can find me here:
IdRatherBeSkiing is offline  
 
 
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #45
JDawg3DX
Channel Surfer
 
JDawg3DX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 17, 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 29
JDawg3DX is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, hopefully we will find out some answers here soon. I just sent an email asking about the following issues...

1-Family plan cost-will it go up and if so, how much and if the $16.99 rate is gonna be per radio or if the family plan applies

2-MLB-was it an oversight or a case of MLB Contract language and if XM Home Plate will be included whether now or in the forseeable future

3-Eventual consolidation of dual subscribers to both services, will there be a family plan for them

As soon as I get a response, I will let yall know..
__________________


JDawg3DX is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stiletto LCD screen "bubble" when I press "home" key? 97Formula Stiletto 3 11-26-2007 10:55 PM
My wife says that XM has reduced "special programming." onehandle SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 4 03-08-2007 08:25 AM
Karmazin: Sirius holiday sales are "strong," but "difficult" compared to last year M4 The Street 10 12-06-2006 12:57 AM
Programming to record Howard "M-F" on my S50 ivanguy SIRIUS S50 5 01-17-2006 02:27 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.