Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) Now that the FCC has "approved" the merger, discuss all the aspects of it and the newly formed company.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #31
BigRadioFan
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 22, 2005
Posts: 96
BigRadioFan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker View Post
7) I HATE terrestrial radio companies.
Lame to keep thinking like that. All they've done is provide people with free entertainment for dozens of years. If you think the commercials are too much than you have the option not to listen but I'd rather sponsors pay for things than me. I also want more ownership choices personally. Why not? I'd hate having just two options for entertainment (XM/Sirius) so I'm glad all the other companies are there (Emmis, Entercom, ABC, the thousands of independants, etc). I can't believe anyone can be so fanatical to just want ONE single source for entertainment (A merged sat provider?) Eww.

I dislike that companies keep getting larger and larger because it usually results in blander entertainment and forced "syntergy". I'm thinking Clear Channel, CBS, and yes, XM and Sirius here. You know Mel would like nothing better than to merge with another media company in the future. He's one of the handful of people that made AM/FM radio what it is today.

I can already hear him whining to the FCC in another few years about how sat radio wont be competitive unless it's CBS/Sirius/XM Satellite Radio should XM/Sirius go through. Any Wall Street funded company will never consistantly create good radio (for the listener). It's the same reason a landlord in a bad neighborhood wont be upgrading the properties - he makes less money that way. That's why the majority of programming on XM/Sirius sucks as much as Clear Channel's does. Repeats, poor voicetracking, automation, etc. They pinch pennies in every direction. A lot of folks here just want to play elitist and act like it stinks less but just turn it on and listen.

Last edited by BigRadioFan; 04-01-2007 at 09:35 PM..
BigRadioFan is offline  
 
 
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #32
Subroc
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 21, 2003
Location: Central Connecticut
Posts: 537
Subroc is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublEE View Post
Again, if anyone that believes am/fm is not competition AND can tell me why the NAB cares about the merger I'm all ears.
AM/FM is competition in the sense that they are in the broadcast industry, in addition to XM and Sirius. That is why they are allowed to speak at the antitrust meetings. XM and Sirius are the only two competitors in the smaller-- but still existing, relevant, and regulated Satellite Radio market. That is why the NAB is allowed to care, but yet say that they are not direct competition (also mind you, satellite can't have local content); because the competition they are referring to is the smaller (but not small, I mean, there *are* 17 million listeners) satellite radio market. The NAB (to their credit) has been very clear about this, but Sirius and XM are just screaming their spin at such a loud volume that you can't hear it.
Subroc is offline  
 
 
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #33
D0TC0M
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 18, 2006
Posts: 684
D0TC0M is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Rich View Post
Some, me included, have noticed SQ improvement starting last November.
As far as what the SQ was in November I don't know, I got my sub in Dec. While I would love more SQ, I actually don't mind the SQ we have now but I certainly don't want it to go down. If they had the ability to increase SQ with better compression techniques you would think that they would be using them now. So let's say that are using them as you say and SQ has gotten better since Nov, then adding more channels after the merger can only make the SQ go the opposite way? I have to admit hearing Mel say that they can add more channels by using more compression is what's got me worried the most of all the merger talks.

Quote:
The latest generation of SIRIUS radios are using HM now. Did you ever wonder why 186 can be heard in the States on a Stiletto and the new Starmates & Sportsters and not last year's models?
If the majority of the customers don't have this year's hardware does this mean that they will have less SQ than the models that can use HM? What about XM's hardware, are they HM compatible?

Quote:
The BW allotment for video has been reserved for a long time and is being used now for video. You didn't think SIRIUS would just flip a switch right after the first video sub was sold, did you?
When did Sirius start broadcasting video?

Last edited by D0TC0M; 04-01-2007 at 10:40 PM..
D0TC0M is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #34
DoublEE
Sirius Star
F.C.C. Finds Other Audio Services Not Competition for Satellite Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 2,921
DoublEE is a glorious beacon of lightDoublEE is a glorious beacon of lightDoublEE is a glorious beacon of lightDoublEE is a glorious beacon of lightDoublEE is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subroc View Post
AM/FM is competition in the sense that they are in the broadcast industry, in addition to XM and Sirius. That is why they are allowed to speak at the antitrust meetings. XM and Sirius are the only two competitors in the smaller-- but still existing, relevant, and regulated Satellite Radio market. That is why the NAB is allowed to care, but yet say that they are not direct competition (also mind you, satellite can't have local content); because the competition they are referring to is the smaller (but not small, I mean, there *are* 17 million listeners) satellite radio market. The NAB (to their credit) has been very clear about this, but Sirius and XM are just screaming their spin at such a loud volume that you can't hear it.
This is what I understand your point to be:

The NAB views Sirius and XM as competition; just not direct competition. Correct? I guess I can somewhat go along with this but it's a fine line.

The recent FCC report even acknowledges that satrad competes with other forms of music:

"The relevant markets described in this Report may include market participants that use technology platforms other than communications satellites to provide services that compete with satellite providers. Recognizing intermodal competition is consistent with customary descriptions of relevant markets. Satellite technology is one technology platform, an input that can be used to provide a communications service. It is not uncommon for the same service – the same communications capability that a consumer uses – to be provided by differing platforms such as satellite, radio transmitters on the earth’s surface (“terrestrial wireless”), and/or wires (copper, coaxial, or fiber optic). These different technologies afford consumers substantially the same capability. A provider of each of those services may have a constraining effect on the pricing and output of a provider of any of the others."

I agree the NAB is allowed to care due to their role. I just wonder why they would care if Sirius and XM are just some pimple on their ass. And why the NAB would take such drastic measures as to cloak themselves as the "Consumer Coalition for Competition in Satellite Radio."

"The group says it is a consumer group of law students who subscribe to satellite radio and who want to stop the merger between XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio."

Seems the NAB has been providing the funds for this group. When asked about this the group's founder stated:

“If we were out there in the media telling people who funded us, it would detract from support from different groups,” Reale said. “I didn’t think that was a wise course.”

While the NAB's words say one thing their actions say something completely different. Again, the NAB is going through a whole lot of trouble and effort for a supposed mildly-interested party.

Here's the whole sorted tale: http://www.corporatecrimereporter.co...llen022807.htm

Thanks for the no-nonsense response. I guess we can agree on some things but we'll have to disagree on the NAB's true motive in this matter.

Last edited by DoublEE; 04-02-2007 at 07:29 AM..
DoublEE is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #35
syphix924
Mixologist
 
syphix924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: 339
syphix924 is on a distinguished road
Default

Orbitcast clarifies a bit of the spin that the NAB is putting on this:
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/si...on-report.html
syphix924 is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #36
obk
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Oct 16, 2006
Posts: 500
obk is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't really know about this whole competition thing, but....

I know there are plenty of people who use an mp3 player out there who ONLY listen to songs they buy, beg, borrow and steal. Now, where would these people listen to music if they didn't have the mp3 player.. my guess is CD's, tapes, radio and sat rad. These are all other ways to get audio to the listener. I still don't get how they are not competition.
I have cd's in my car... any time I just can't find what I want on sirius (infrequently), I just hit the cd button. That is taking me away from listening to sirius (sounds like a competing technology to me).

and to a post way back, just because you can't find an all 90's station anywhere near you, doesn't mean the terrestrial radios aren't competing.. they just aren't doing a good job of competing. they have options to make their station be whatever the want.. sirius and xm just run abou 160 of their own stations.
obk is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #37
syphix924
Mixologist
 
syphix924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 04, 2005
Posts: 339
syphix924 is on a distinguished road
Default

More from Orbitcast:
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/bu...er-review.html
Quote:
"We [the FCC] emphasize that the market descriptions included in this Report are intended to facilitate discussion of satellite markets and services as required by Section 703, and may not reflect the appropriate markets to be considered in other Commission proceedings, including merger reviews, rulemakings involving the Commission's ownership rules, or other reports to Congress."
Oops. Guess the NAB just conveniently left that out of their press release (which is what generated the story in the OP of this thread).
syphix924 is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #38
D0TC0M
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 18, 2006
Posts: 684
D0TC0M is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obk View Post
and to a post way back, just because you can't find an all 90's station anywhere near you, doesn't mean the terrestrial radios aren't competing.. they just aren't doing a good job of competing. they have options to make their station be whatever the want.. sirius and xm just run abou 160 of their own stations.
Your missing my point, Its not that they aren't doing a good job, its that they can't compete in the small niche markets they are in to make it feasible. Meaning that there isn't enough listeners in a particular area for a 90s only station to be feasible. Sat Radio can make it feasible because they can aggregate all the small listening markets to make it feasible. Only in high population centers that local radio has a chance to compete but on the grand scheme the competition to Sat Radio is pretty small.

Quote:
I have cd's in my car... any time I just can't find what I want on sirius (infrequently), I just hit the cd button. That is taking me away from listening to sirius (sounds like a competing technology to me).
Your CDs aren't much competition because you are still paying for your Sat Radio signal whether your listening to it or not. Now if Sat Radio was commercial dependant on revenue and lost your listening time (like normal AM/FM is) then this would affect them but because your paying a monthly fee for commercial free music than whether you listen as much or as little to your CDs would not be considered competition IMO. If you got rid of your Sat Radio and only listened to your CDs then that would be considered to be competition.
D0TC0M is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #39
xPhantomx
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jan 12, 2007
Posts: 137
xPhantomx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0TC0M View Post
I would argue that Local AM/FM stations are not competitors to Sat Radio for the simple fact that Sat Radio aggregates small demand that the local market cannot support, for example in my area I dont have a all 90s music channel, that so many here have voiced here on this forum that they would like to have, why don't they have an all90's music channel in my area? Because there's not enough listeners in my area to support a local all90s channel. Local broadcasters cannot compete in this market but Sat Radio can because they carry a all90s channel they aggregate the listeners in my area and also those from other towns and cities all across the country and can market to them all, local FM channels cannot. Another example is sports, where there's lots of listeners spread over the whole country that like the montreal canadiens but not enough of them in my little market area for it to be profitable for the local broadcaster to compete but nationwide Sat radio can supply those niche markets with programming. So I bring forth the argument that sat radio can compete with local but local can't compete with sat radio in those niche markets.

This is EXACLTY why the NAB wants thir merger shot down, cause sat radio can compete with them in ways they never can. Other than a few stations like NPR and such, terresterial radio and it's content offerings accross the country is only unique to each demographic and area. It's in per city, per town, per backwoods, per out in the middle of knowwhere. Sat radio can offer a service for everyone anywhere cause it reaches from coast to coast. Terresterial radio can't comptete with that.
xPhantomx is offline  
 
 
Old 04-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #40
D0TC0M
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 18, 2006
Posts: 684
D0TC0M is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantomx View Post
This is EXACLTY why the NAB wants thir merger shot down, cause sat radio can compete with them in ways they never can. Other than a few stations like NPR and such, terresterial radio and it's content offerings accross the country is only unique to each demographic and area. It's in per city, per town, per backwoods, per out in the middle of knowwhere. Sat radio can offer a service for everyone anywhere cause it reaches from coast to coast. Terresterial radio can't comptete with that.
Yep your exactly right, it's a mainly a one-way street. Local AM/FM can't compete with Sat Radio but Sat Radio can compete with AM/FM. That's probably the biggest reason why NAB is so vividly opposed.
D0TC0M is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satellite Radio Has No Competition? alphonso SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 16 03-16-2007 01:59 PM
NAB President David Rehr Publicly Admits That Satellite Radio Has Competition--THEM! dkain1976 SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 2 03-10-2007 08:03 AM
Competition Q: Are the DishTV services allowed to branch into specific radio? dkain1976 SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 10 03-07-2007 01:42 AM
XM Satellite Radio & Neural Audio unveil "XM HD Sur xzi Galaxy Nation 14 04-04-2006 03:34 PM
Satellite Showdown: Dueling Radio Services Reviewed Sirius_Rich SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 2 11-13-2003 03:30 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.