Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Stiletto Stiletto...it's not just for shoes. Come here to talk about the new SL2, the SL100, or the SL10. Share tips, tricks and pointers, all available via WiFi...just like your music!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
crazydude102
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Oct 23, 2006
Posts: 7
crazydude102 is on a distinguished road
Default clip on antenna

i was looking aroung on google and found this http://store.xmfanstore.com/clipxt.html maby sirius will make something like this so we could just carry this around with a pair of earbuds. i hate carry around those other headphones, because i have gotten used to the smallness of earbuds. can anyone maby fing how to make this work for the stiletto
crazydude102 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
JHDKoopman
Sirius Star
 
JHDKoopman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 2,103
JHDKoopman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JHDKoopman
Cool

oh man that thing looks so stupid. like that pic of the guy with him wearing on his hat? hahah what a moron. i would just put up with the antenna headphones then wear that thing. unless they came out with a much smaller, much better looking antenna.

-jan
jhdkoopman@hotmail.com
JHDKoopman is offline  
 
 
Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
sbohlen
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 65
sbohlen is on a distinguished road
Default

I would like to see a small magnetic antenna that plugs directly into the stiletto that I can use in rental cars or put on the ledge of a hotel window and get better reception. It would have to allow the use of the headphone jack.
__________________
Sirius subscriber since 2004.
sbohlen is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
n2ry
Loyal Listener
clip on antenna
 
n2ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 233
n2ry is on a distinguished road
Default

Im working with a RF connector company to make a patch cable that plugs into the stiletto and terminates with a SMB jack to allow the use of existing Home and car antennas. Ill post when I get more info


Rich





Quote:
Originally Posted by sbohlen
I would like to see a small magnetic antenna that plugs directly into the stiletto that I can use in rental cars or put on the ledge of a hotel window and get better reception. It would have to allow the use of the headphone jack.
n2ry is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
clip on antenna
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ry
Im working with a RF connector company to make a patch cable that plugs into the stiletto and terminates with a SMB jack to allow the use of existing Home and car antennas. Ill post when I get more info
If you can pull that one off, I think you'll have a lot of interest in folks buying it.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
jmcn72
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Nov 26, 2004
Posts: 264
jmcn72 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB
If you can pull that one off, I think you'll have a lot of interest in folks buying it.
"We have top men working on it right now.

Who?

Top men."
jmcn72 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
sbohlen
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Oct 13, 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 65
sbohlen is on a distinguished road
Default

I know I will be watching this thread waiting for the announcement.
__________________
Sirius subscriber since 2004.
sbohlen is offline  
 
 
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
n2ry
Loyal Listener
clip on antenna
 
n2ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 233
n2ry is on a distinguished road
Default

Heres the first response from one vendor:

1: 1 Custom Cable SSMB/M/N/S-RG179/6.00 Inches-SMB/M/N/S $24.76ea we have stock to build, lead time 2-3 days.

from mroelectronics

I'am going to order one and check it out. Will update when I get it.
I also found a SSMB jack to jack adapter to try with the XM connector as a alternative, but these SSMB jack adapters are tough to find, only able to locate one. the patch cable seems more feasible.

Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ry
Im working with a RF connector company to make a patch cable that plugs into the stiletto and terminates with a SMB jack to allow the use of existing Home and car antennas. Ill post when I get more info


Rich
n2ry is offline  
 
 
Old 11-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
n2ry
Loyal Listener
clip on antenna
 
n2ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 233
n2ry is on a distinguished road
Default

BAD NEWS:

The company had just given me a quote for 25 bucks for a patch cable. I double checked that the ends were correct, and good thing, they had quoted non-center pin ends. OOPPSSS. They dont have the correct conenctors in stock and would be a $40 shipping charge to order the connectors.

Im not sure how easy it would be to do a bulk order, but I would want to see one cable as a sample before commiting. But not real willing to pay 70 bucks for that first cable.
Im still waiting to hear from a few more companys


Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ry
Heres the first response from one vendor:

1: 1 Custom Cable SSMB/M/N/S-RG179/6.00 Inches-SMB/M/N/S $24.76ea we have stock to build, lead time 2-3 days.

from mroelectronics

I'am going to order one and check it out. Will update when I get it.
I also found a SSMB jack to jack adapter to try with the XM connector as a alternative, but these SSMB jack adapters are tough to find, only able to locate one. the patch cable seems more feasible.

Rich
n2ry is offline  
 
 
Old 11-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
crazydude102
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Oct 23, 2006
Posts: 7
crazydude102 is on a distinguished road
Default

n2ry, thanks for your help. i hope that cable will come in to see if this works good. please update if you hear anything more
crazydude102 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
dogsofwar
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Apr 07, 2006
Posts: 17
dogsofwar is on a distinguished road
Post Well.....

Well anything?
__________________
Proud stock owner
SL100, S50, Sportster 4 (2), Starmate, Kenwood H2E, Xact xtr1
dogsofwar is offline  
 
 
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
n2ry
Loyal Listener
clip on antenna
 
n2ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 233
n2ry is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, Bad News Batman .....

All cable vendors didnt work out. I did buy a SSMB jack to SSMB jack connecter. And .... not even close. SSM jack is to small. I cant figure out what this conenctor actually is. I KNOW its NOT a SSMB jack. Wonder if its a proprietary thing-a-ma-jigger. Ive hit a deadend here.
Cant even find a spare USB cable to buy to modify.
Im open to ideas....


Rich
n2ry is offline  
 
 
Old 11-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
SiriusHummer
Mixologist
 
SiriusHummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2004
Posts: 354
SiriusHummer is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ry
Well, Bad News Batman .....

All cable vendors didnt work out. I did buy a SSMB jack to SSMB jack connecter. And .... not even close. SSM jack is to small. I cant figure out what this conenctor actually is. I KNOW its NOT a SSMB jack. Wonder if its a proprietary thing-a-ma-jigger. Ive hit a deadend here.
Cant even find a spare USB cable to buy to modify.
Im open to ideas....


Rich
Check the other thread on http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ad.php?t=89664

It is a no go. The only way that you might be able to get the patch cable to work is if you get power to the flat slotted area that the antenna headphones plug into. As you can see in the other thread I got the patch cable but it does not work.

I am heading to Radio Shack tomorrow to try to get a 5v receptacle. The Xact kit was a 6v so the stilletos power cord will not even fit.

It does piss me off that I destroyed one of my kts to make it work but oh well it wasn't worth anything anyway. I still have 1 more to play with.
SiriusHummer is offline  
 
 
Old 11-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #14
n2ry
Loyal Listener
clip on antenna
 
n2ry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 233
n2ry is on a distinguished road
Default

So, the ext ant does need power to operate ??

I know if its in a Dock (car or home) without power applied, it does not see the ant.

If so, one of the only options then is to use a exiting dock ( older model or a hacked/modifed Universal ).

And you still need to apply 5v power.

When you used the Xact ant cable, it didnt see the ant connected without power applied ?

Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHummer
Check the other thread on http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ad.php?t=89664

It is a no go. The only way that you might be able to get the patch cable to work is if you get power to the flat slotted area that the antenna headphones plug into. As you can see in the other thread I got the patch cable but it does not work.

I am heading to Radio Shack tomorrow to try to get a 5v receptacle. The Xact kit was a 6v so the stilletos power cord will not even fit.

It does piss me off that I destroyed one of my kts to make it work but oh well it wasn't worth anything anyway. I still have 1 more to play with.
n2ry is offline  
 
 
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
SiriusHummer
Mixologist
 
SiriusHummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2004
Posts: 354
SiriusHummer is on a distinguished road
Default

It seems that it would. The old xact dock gave my XTR1 power through the flat connector.

When I did connect the antenna and look at the antenna direction screen the antenna power bar did not change.

When I first tried it I was setting up service to my area and it kept saying unable to find antenna or not detected.
SiriusHummer is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Antenna Issue on Car schmoodle Install Garage & Help Desk 4 11-01-2006 03:24 PM
Is there a car antenna which will reduce dropouts? ajf10 Install Garage & Help Desk 1 05-23-2006 06:51 AM
"Acquiring Signal" rob26bb Radios & Receivers 11 10-24-2004 10:56 PM
Terk SIR4 Clip truck antenna - Need help! SiriusCanadaFan Install Garage & Help Desk 0 10-18-2004 07:59 PM
The Indoor Antenna Aiming Thread Inundated Install Garage & Help Desk 63 05-12-2004 08:37 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.