Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

Stiletto Stiletto...it's not just for shoes. Come here to talk about the new SL2, the SL100, or the SL10. Share tips, tricks and pointers, all available via WiFi...just like your music!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
cigator
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Feb 04, 2006
Posts: 98
cigator is on a distinguished road
Default Stiletto Frustrations

After 2 weeks here is what irks me:

1. It's not really portable without nearby repeater. When I sit outside with a few trees around, I get several dropouts per minute. Not fun when listening to NFL game a a critical time.Dropouts don't even seem to make sense. I can keep the radio in the same spot, or keep my head still when using the headphones of death, and get 3 bars, next second it is searching for a signal.

2. Speaking of the headphones. I wouldn't mind theintense pain if they really worked. They are no better than the internal antenna.

3. Battery life has been weak. I lose a good 30 or minutes of play time when I use the headphones. Getting an average of 3 hours of Sat play.

4. Works great in the home dock, but then again so does my S50.

All in all it is a neat toy. Is this as good as a portable can get as far a reception?
cigator is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Stiletto Frustrations
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

So, in your last 77 posts did you not think about reading a single forum about the Stiletto?
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
me_rubin
Top Dog Member
Stiletto Frustrations
 
me_rubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2006
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 3,545
me_rubin is a jewel in the roughme_rubin is a jewel in the roughme_rubin is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to me_rubin Send a message via Yahoo to me_rubin Stiletto Frustrations
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigator
After 2 weeks here is what irks me:

1. It's not really portable without nearby repeater.
This weekend I was at the VA Tech - UVA Game. I used it without the antenna headphones (no repeater) and it worked fine but I had to hold the radio still. Although I only used it at halftime to catch up on some other scores, It still worked well. I'm looking forward to the BoomBox when it's released to use in portable mode for picnics and other spring/summer activities.

Maybe by then someone will come out with a better antenna that can directly connect to the bottom of the unit.
me_rubin is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
cigator
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Feb 04, 2006
Posts: 98
cigator is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker
So, in your last 77 posts did you not think about reading a single forum about the Stiletto?
I read quite a bit. I figured with a fairly clear view to the sky the signal would be much more stable. Portable reception outside of repeater coverage is very sporadic. Should really make that clear to consumers.
cigator is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
realwx
Banned
 
realwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 2,554
realwx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to realwx Send a message via MSN to realwx Stiletto Frustrations
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigator
Should really make that clear to consumers.
Well, your making it clear in a forum that has happy Stiletto consumers, then you're obviously posting it in the wrong place while being wrong about reception.
realwx is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
badmotherfarker
Top Dog Member
Stiletto Frustrations
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2005
Posts: 7,335
badmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura aboutbadmotherfarker has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realwx
Well, your making it clear in a forum that has happy Stiletto consumers, then you're obviously posting it in the wrong place while being wrong about reception.
He's right on about reception... when you're outside of a repeater, it's tough. I waited until many others on here got the Stiletto before I did because I knew what I wanted... much like my women, I want perfection.
badmotherfarker is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
cigator
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Feb 04, 2006
Posts: 98
cigator is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realwx
Well, your making it clear in a forum that has happy Stiletto consumers, then you're obviously posting it in the wrong place while being wrong about reception.
I wish I was wrong about the reception, but I am sitting outside now, having to constantly reposition the radio to keep the signal.
cigator is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Peacepeddler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Repeaters are hundreds of miles away from me. So I rely on the direct sat signal. I get very good reception. Walking around town, and biking are some of my activities while listening to live sat. I do need to use the antenna headset. So bad reception maybe the case for some of you with no repeaters around, but for others the reception works well. Thumbs up from me.
 
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
realwx
Banned
 
realwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 2,554
realwx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to realwx Send a message via MSN to realwx Stiletto Frustrations
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker
He's right on about reception... when you're outside of a repeater, it's tough. I waited until many others on here got the Stiletto before I did because I knew what I wanted... much like my women, I want perfection.
Okay... I just brought my Stiletto outside while walking the dog again while holding the antenna headphones around my neck and I never once had a dropout... and I usually walk down a road full of trees.
realwx is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
GB33
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 193
GB33 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotherfarker
He's right on about reception... when you're outside of a repeater, it's tough. I waited until many others on here got the Stiletto before I did because I knew what I wanted... much like my women, I want perfection.
So what your saying is the Stiletto is perfect to you? I am not saying one way or another as I am still in my "trial period". But surely there will be antenna options soon. Surely.
GB33 is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Stiletto Frustrations
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB33
So what your saying is the Stiletto is perfect to you? I am not saying one way or another as I am still in my "trial period". But surely there will be antenna options soon. Surely.
I would not hold my breath or make any kind of assumptions about this. The only way I see this happening is if a third party decided to do it. I don't think you'll see Directed Electronics do it.

In regards to reception, it has been exactly what I expected it to be. Using it outdoors with the headphone/antenna setup (which I know many of you hate) I get acceptable reception. I used it a great deal going to football games, taking walks, sitting out on my patio, even at bonfires this weekend it worked without any problems. I wouldn't even think of trying to use it without the headphone/antenna without being in an area served by a repeater. I never expected that I could get live reception inside my home, because I can barely get that with a regular home antenna. So there is nothing magical about the Stiletto that would allow that to happen. If you want to use it in the house, you'll more than likely need the home dock.

I don't see SIRIUS adding tons of repeaters anytime soon, because they simply can't afford to. I do agree that someone needs to make a new headphone/antenna setup that not only provides a stronger signal, but is much more comfortable. Rather that happens, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree that in some locations and situations without a repeater the reception can indeed be spotty. But this is why it also offers wifi and radio replays and recorded content via the library to listen too. Those that claim this device isn't portable must think if you can't get live reception then its not portable, but I disagree. The Stiletto has given me freedom that I've never had with any other tuner EVER! If anyone doubts that, I'd be glad to give you a full run down of my portable use on a day in and day out basis. Now with all that said, is the Stiletto for everyone... NO, just like the iPod isn't for everyone or trucks aren't for everyone. This is why there are a various tuners.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like some of you every other day or two find something you don't like or you have issues with. It's not a perfect product, but show me one that is?
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox

Last edited by DAB; 11-26-2006 at 08:30 PM..
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
megachang
Loyal Listener
 
megachang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 02, 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 127
megachang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to megachang Send a message via AIM to megachang Send a message via MSN to megachang Send a message via Yahoo to megachang
Default

I gotta say I love mine so far - I can lay in bed and get reception withour the use of the wacked headphones. I am about 20 miles west of Detroit and get signal indoors on my unit. The headphones and earbuds are a joke considering the technology directed is selling. And is the reason no SD card slot because of being able to love songs?
__________________
Sirius Supporter!
megachang is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
hecticart
Mixologist
 
hecticart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 16, 2006
Location: Sunny, Exotic, Toledo, OH
Posts: 429
hecticart is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by megachang
is the reason no SD card slot because of being able to love songs?
I don't think saving songs is the reason for no SD card slot. They can easily set the thing up to only save to internal memory. I think they just figured that for the added price people wouldn't be that into it. We can get live broadcasts from SAT and wi-fi after all.

I wouldn't mind having one though.
hecticart is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
Stiletto Frustrations
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecticart
I don't think saving songs is the reason for no SD card slot. They can easily set the thing up to only save to internal memory. I think they just figured that for the added price people wouldn't be that into it. We can get live broadcasts from SAT and wi-fi after all.
Yes, I would love to have one. Look at the Skyfi3, it has the SD card, but you can't save to it, so that isn't the reason for not having the SD card. But it does allow you to have up to 2 GB of mp3/wma's available for use with the Skyfi3. Too bad, I don't really find the Skyfi3 very appealing, I'll be sticking with my Pioneer Inno.
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
musicguy2k3
Loyal Listener
 
Join Date: Feb 06, 2004
Posts: 231
musicguy2k3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Dont get me wrong. I love my S100. But to claim it being a live portable is questionable at best. When I was in Florida the other week I was in a repeater area and was able to catch the Bengals game which was great. However, if you are in a sat area the signal strength is ridiculous.

If you compare the S100 to the Inno, the Inno has amazing signal strength. A friend of mine has an Inno and if we stand in an open parking lot he can get perfect sat reception without any antenna headphones at all.

Sirius's reception on the S100 should be the same as the Inno in my opinion. I know the signal comes from different sats but in a wide open area the signal should be identical.

With that said... if you are not going to use it live all the time and only just once in a while its not a bad device.

If you are lucky enough to be in a repeater area its an awesome live portable.

Hands down ...its better than an S50 as far as stability goes. Just the simple fact this unit WORKS and doesnt have all the messed up glitches the S50 had is a selling point.
__________________
- Doug

Last edited by musicguy2k3; 11-26-2006 at 11:00 PM..
musicguy2k3 is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Thrasherduck Stiletto 100 Review Thrasherduck Stiletto 75 01-05-2007 02:26 PM
Going from S50 to Stiletto mikewg Stiletto 6 11-20-2006 11:01 PM
Life with my Stiletto - My Thoughts me_rubin Stiletto 12 10-09-2006 05:39 PM
Stiletto review from an s50 / Inno owner cyclopsebunny Stiletto 31 10-04-2006 10:19 PM
Stiletto FAQs are up... jmcn72 Stiletto 3 09-26-2006 04:42 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.