Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

The Doghouse Here is where people are talking everything not SIRIUS related. So be cool, be smart and have something to say!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #166
Amnesia
Sirius Star
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,035
Amnesia is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Remember the old question "can God make a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?" This shows that logically it's impossible for any entity to do anything.
no, that is just a play on words. by definition, god can do anything.
How is the rock question a play on words?

But in any case, even if one postulates that the universe was created by a sentient supernatural entity, it does not necessarily follow that said entity also has the power to alter the created universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet
what is your explanation of difference between "god" and "a god" ?
Whether or not you capitalize the "G", if you use the word "god" as a proper noun, you are assuming that there is one and only one god.

If you say "a god", you are not limiting yourself to that; you could be talking about any god (Jupiter, Odin, Coyote, Jehovah, Ra, etc)
__________________
Amnesia is offline  
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #167
UncleBoomsky
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: Dec 11, 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,819
UncleBoomsky is on a distinguished road
Default

If God can do anything and is all powerful why did he create suffering or why doesn't he just make it go away.

If one argues than without suffering there cannot be joy, then why doesn't God just make it that there is joy without suffering provided he is all pwerful?

UB
UncleBoomsky is offline  
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #168
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Remember the old question "can God make a rock so heavy that even he can't lift it?" This shows that logically it's impossible for any entity to do anything.
no, that is just a play on words. by definition, god can do anything.
How is the rock question a play on words?

But in any case, even if one postulates that the universe was created by a sentient supernatural entity, it does not necessarily follow that said entity also has the power to alter the created universe.
it is a play on words in the sense that you are attempting to make 2 opposites true. could god ever make something hot enough to burn himself ? i could sit and make them up all day.

well as we have both agreed, we are using our knowledge to attempt to make postulations. but in so doing, i do believe that it does follow that the creator is also able to alter.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #169
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
If you say "a god", you are not limiting yourself to that; you could be talking about any god (Jupiter, Odin, Coyote, Jehovah, Ra, etc)
precisely - we are talking about THE CREATOR, when we say god.

so even a non-believer as yourself - when you postulate that god does exist, then you should use the term "god", and not "a god".
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #170
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBoomsky
If God can do anything and is all powerful why did he create suffering or why doesn't he just make it go away.

If one argues than without suffering there cannot be joy, then why doesn't God just make it that there is joy without suffering provided he is all pwerful?

UB
hi ub,

you and the other poster (i think loveit) are making the same assumption with your logic. but an assumption that may not be true, and in my thinking is definitely not true.

and that is - that god decided to take control of the planet. but that all boils down to the number one most significant spiritual question that we have - not where did we come from, who we are, or what the universe is, but rather WHY ARE WE HERE.

think about why you think you are here, and what your purpose is - that may help you come up with an answer to your question that begins to make some sense to you, and start on the road to some sort of enlightenment.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #171
Amnesia
Sirius Star
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,035
Amnesia is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet
precisely - we are talking about THE CREATOR, when we say god.
so even a non-believer as yourself - when you postulate that god does exist, then you should use the term "god", and not "a god".
Many religions throughout the ages have had a creator god alongside other gods as well.

Just because one postulates the existence of a creator god does not eliminate the possibility of other sentient supernatural creatures...there are alternatives to monotheism...
__________________
Amnesia is offline  
 
 
Old 11-06-2005, 12:34 AM   #172
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

i agree. but i dont think what i said should lead you to that conclusion. even in christianity, there are "angels", who are supernatural.

but even in polytheism, there is usually one master god - king of the other ones, and the one that is creator. (zeus in greek, etc.)

i will still end up using he lots of times, just because i am used to it. i know it is true in my case, and i think probably true for most believers - when we use the term "he", it is more related to god being our father. i truly think you would be very hard-pressed to find a christian who actually thinks of god with human genitals or other human masculine traits - i have never ever heard that voiced by anyone.

i have just never used "it" for anything but inanimate objects - sorta how i was taught in elementary school. so it feels a little strange to me, but it is not something that i can not overcome.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #173
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

hi rc,

interesting articles about our clocks. i did not know that our circadian rhythm was not on a 24-hour cycle, and needed to be re-set each day.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #174
zenarrrow
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 12, 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 13
zenarrrow is on a distinguished road
Default

One thing I don't understand about the universe. We are all part of the universe from the begining and to the end. Yet being part it seems like we should know the secrets and mysteries as it is ourselves. Our minds are what seperates us from the great truths the secrets if you will, we all have certain dogmas and limits. Some people say that it would suck to be a rock or a brick or something but in fact wouldn't that be nirvana, to exist and yet have no mind to enclose ourselves in our train of thought?
Another thing, we tend to believe that we are the chosen race we are gods children, in fact we are the the smartest species on Earth. But I don't see elephants walking around strung out on meth. Killing each other in the name of their god, I could go on. Why don't we just come to the understanding that we are not gods special pets and just become one(one) of the members of the planet. As soon as we lose our self importance I think then and only then we can find true enlightenment. Wow, all that acid I took did pay off. ---zen-->
__________________
I married ISIS on the 5th day of May. But, weall know how this story ends.
zenarrrow is offline  
 
 
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #175
RoadClosed
Sirius Star
 
RoadClosed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Posts: 5,758
RoadClosed will become famous soon enoughRoadClosed will become famous soon enough
Default

Elephants kill each other in the name of survival. Nature is their god. In fact they may get pleasure in their violent acts. We just don't know. At my local zoo the elephants on display are kept in serparate pens because one keeps trying to kill the other. For every man that kills in the name of god, 100 or maybe 1000 kill in the "nameless" of god. What are their motivations I wonder? The same as an elephant?

I for one enjoy my intelligence or ability to think. We may be gods chosen people? Who knows. To that fact we may be gods mistake.
__________________
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.


God does not believe in Athiests. Therefore they do not exist.
RoadClosed is offline  
 
 
Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #176
zenarrrow
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 12, 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 13
zenarrrow is on a distinguished road
Default

Well this really wasn't about the elephants, I never knew they were so hostile. You are probably the only zoologist in this forum and you just had to be subscribed to this thread. See, life is filled with too many coincidences. :^) ---zen--->
__________________
I married ISIS on the 5th day of May. But, weall know how this story ends.
zenarrrow is offline  
 
 
Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #177
RoadClosed
Sirius Star
 
RoadClosed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Posts: 5,758
RoadClosed will become famous soon enoughRoadClosed will become famous soon enough
Default

I am not a zoologist. But what I say is true for some reason the goings on at the zoo and the scientific research is interesting. Like this, I went the other day and the mercats are acting strange. They think the mother is pregnant but they haven't seen her for a long time, hidden down in her burrow. So there is a dog pen with another mercat in it. So I ask a zookeeper wtf? She says the other mercats just decided to oust that one. They attacked it and whenever it is in the cage they hurt it. So she was trying to find another zoo to take it. Why did this happen I ask, no one knows. ...
__________________
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.


God does not believe in Athiests. Therefore they do not exist.
RoadClosed is offline  
 
 
Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #178
zenarrrow
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Sep 12, 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 13
zenarrrow is on a distinguished road
Default

Maybe the other mercats think the lone mercatis part of the Axis of Evil and they believe it to be an Evil Doer.
__________________
I married ISIS on the 5th day of May. But, weall know how this story ends.
zenarrrow is offline  
 
 
Old 11-12-2005, 02:22 AM   #179
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadClosed
I was sipping a Tuborg last night on my deck, washed in sunlight and a crazy thought struck me. What if light is god? After all if creates life as we know it, it nurtures life, it permeates the entire universe and is all things, it is a part of the very fabric of physics and what we see as time and space. Just an abstract thought. I simplified the course that took me there.
well, if i recall from the bible, god is described as the "light of the world". so it may not be as crazy as you think. or perhaps light could be that part of god that we can sense. in other words, light may not be god, but it could be like a footstep - an aspect of god that we have awareness of.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 11-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #180
RoadClosed
Sirius Star
 
RoadClosed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Posts: 5,758
RoadClosed will become famous soon enoughRoadClosed will become famous soon enough
Default

You know I am not religious but I do think about it. So OK I'll buy that.
__________________
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.


God does not believe in Athiests. Therefore they do not exist.
RoadClosed is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.