Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

The Doghouse Here is where people are talking everything not SIRIUS related. So be cool, be smart and have something to say!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #826
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
7Aaron didn't say anything about me. What are you coping with by hating memebag?
i didnt read thoroughly enough. assumed aaron's comments had to do with your previous negative christian comments.

i dont hate you, or even dislike you. from what i can tell, you are a pretty nice person. it is just obvious that you are experiencing a hate-christianity stage of your life. one that keeps you from having any sort of unbiased perspective. once the hatred succumbs, i suspect you will desire a more truth-oriented search about some of these philosophical sorts of questions that have been discussed.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #827
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i didnt read thoroughly enough. assumed aaron's comments had to do with your previous negative christian comments.
That's a pretty big leap. Are you experiencing a "hate-memebag" stage of your life? One that keeps you from having any sort of unbiased perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i dont hate you, or even dislike you. from what i can tell, you are a pretty nice person. it is just obvious that you are experiencing a hate-christianity stage of your life. one that keeps you from having any sort of unbiased perspective. once the hatred succumbs, i suspect you will desire a more truth-oriented search about some of these philosophical sorts of questions that have been discussed.
I don't hate Christianity. I dislike faith in all its forms. I don't believe any perspective is "unbiased", but I don't think any "bad experiences" in my life have led me to this position.

What "bad experiences" are you projecting on me?
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #828
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
That's a pretty big leap.
i dont even think of it as a small step, much less a leap. you are well known to make derogatory comments about christianity. you have done so on several threads, and multiple times. aaron has participated on some of them, so i know he is aware of your stance on that topic.

so when his post complaining about attacking christianity IMMEDIATELY followed your attacks, it was a very small step to conclude that he was complaining about your post.

remember the old aesop's fable about the boy who cried wolf ?
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #829
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
so when his post complaining about attacking christianity IMMEDIATELY followed your attacks, it was a very small step to conclude that he was complaining about your post.
But I didn't attack Christianity. I said the Jesus Tomb show was silly.
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #830
7Aaron
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
7Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2005
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,650
7Aaron has a spectacular aura about7Aaron has a spectacular aura about7Aaron has a spectacular aura about
Default

I jump into this thread occasionally, always presenting a Christian argument to the debate. I'm sure mem's beliefs and mine are quite different, but his post in question, I have no problem with. I probably even agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
Depends on what you mean by "true". Finding boxes of bones with the names Mary and Jesua son of Joseph on them is certainly possible. Proving that the Jesua named on the box is the same Jesua worshipped by Christians is pretty close to impossible. Those were common names.

It's silly because:

1. There's no way to prove they are the bones of Jesus.
2. Even if it could be proven, Christians are experienced at avoiding evidence that challenges their beliefs.
3. Even if it could be proven in a way that Christians couldn't ignore, they are free to change their mythology to accomodate the bones.
__________________
does god exist ?
7Aaron is offline  
 
 
Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #831
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Aaron View Post
I jump into this thread occasionally, always presenting a Christian argument to the debate. I'm sure mem's beliefs and mine are quite different, but his post in question, I have no problem with. I probably even agree with it.
Thanks for clarifying, 7Aaron. Gymeejet seems to be unwilling to accept that reasonable people can disagree about faith without some sort of "bad experiences" providing an underlying emotional motivation.
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #832
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
But I didn't attack Christianity. I said the Jesus Tomb show was silly.
LOL - once again you rationalize, and choose to have selective memory.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #833
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
LOL - once again you rationalize, and choose to have selective memory.
What are you talking about?
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #834
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

first, you say the following, which is what my most recent comments were based upon :

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
Depends on what you mean by "true". Finding boxes of bones with the names Mary and Jesua son of Joseph on them is certainly possible. Proving that the Jesua named on the box is the same Jesua worshipped by Christians is pretty close to impossible. Those were common names.

It's silly because:

1. There's no way to prove they are the bones of Jesus.
2. Even if it could be proven, Christians are experienced at avoiding evidence that challenges their beliefs.
3. Even if it could be proven in a way that Christians couldn't ignore, they are free to change their mythology to accomodate the bones.

then you say the following :

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
But I didn't attack Christianity. I said the Jesus Tomb show was silly.
and you are asking me why i say you have selective memory ? LOL !!!!!!!
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #835
WayneEdwards
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
WayneEdwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2006
Posts: 1,506
WayneEdwards is on a distinguished road
Default

WayneEdwards is offline  
 
 
Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #836
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
and you are asking me why i say you have selective memory ? LOL !!!!!!!
No, I asked what you are talking about. I don't see any attacks on Chrstianity in that post. So, what are you talking about?
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #837
RoadClosed
Sirius Star
 
RoadClosed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow
Posts: 5,758
RoadClosed will become famous soon enoughRoadClosed will become famous soon enough
Default

It's all a mute point anyway. There is no onjective reality. The universe is a giant fantasm. A hologram. What we measure is an illusion.
__________________
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.


God does not believe in Athiests. Therefore they do not exist.
RoadClosed is offline  
 
 
Old 03-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #838
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
No, I asked what you are talking about. I don't see any attacks on Chrstianity in that post. So, what are you talking about?
2. Even if it could be proven, Christians are experienced at avoiding evidence that challenges their beliefs.
3. Even if it could be proven in a way that Christians couldn't ignore, they are free to change their mythology to accomodate the bones.

your point 2 would be considered an attack by a christian. you are basically telling said christian that he will do whatever is necessary, no matter how illogical, to continue to believe what they want to believe.

your point 3 would be considered an attack by a christian. a myth is generally regarded as an untrue story. a christian would be insulted to hear someone refer to "their set of beliefs" as a mythology.

you go out of your way in multiple threads, in multiple instances to say something derogatory about christians/christianity.

and then you say that you only said something about the tomb being silly. that was your statement 1. you selectively forgot about your statements 2 and 3.

but dont worry - you will always have me to point these things out for you. but i know you will deny this, because you are good at avoiding evidence that shows your emotional bias against christianity.

and even when i show you evidence of this that any logical person couldnt ignore, you are free to change your set of beliefs to accomodate your story.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #839
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
your point 2 would be considered an attack by a christian. you are basically telling said christian that he will do whatever is necessary, no matter how illogical, to continue to believe what they want to believe.
That's not an attack, that's a description of faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
your point 3 would be considered an attack by a christian. a myth is generally regarded as an untrue story. a christian would be insulted to hear someone refer to "their set of beliefs" as a mythology.
When we speak of the religious beliefs of ancient Greece, we call them myths. That isn't an attack on pagans. Here's the definition of 'myth' I'm using:

"A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society"

It isn't insulting to call a myth a myth. Some ancient Greeks probably believed in the literal truth of their myths, but that doesn't mean they weren't myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
you go out of your way in multiple threads, in multiple instances to say something derogatory about christians/christianity.
You invited me to this thread and forum, remember? I was posting to Political Asylum (and discussing politics) until you asked me to post here.
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 03-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #840
7Aaron
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
7Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2005
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,650
7Aaron has a spectacular aura about7Aaron has a spectacular aura about7Aaron has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag
2. Even if it could be proven, Christians are experienced at avoiding evidence that challenges their beliefs.
3. Even if it could be proven in a way that Christians couldn't ignore, they are free to change their mythology to accomodate the bones.
I figure most Christians would feel insulted by the above comments, but I happen to agree with the gist of these two arguments by memebag.

Catholics, in particular, hold on to some beliefs that are not backed up by the bible, and were originated by some pope at some time after the birth of Jesus. Granted, the beliefs I'm thinking of are ancillary and are not pivotal to the heart of Christianity. Examples I'm thinking of 1. purgatory -- Jesus never spoke of it, to my knowledge; 2. Some Catholics believe that Jesus's mother Mary remained a virgin her entire life and was also resurrected -- Where is that in the New Testament?; 3. Catholics tend to believe that we can pray for the departed, thereby helping their chances of escaping purgatory and moving on to Heaven quicker.

This post moves off the topic a bit, but is my way of thinking how memebag's argument here could be true.

**Full disclosure -- I have attended Catholic mass my entire life, still do, but consider myself to be a New Testament bible-based Christian instead.
__________________
does god exist ?
7Aaron is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.