Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

The Doghouse Here is where people are talking everything not SIRIUS related. So be cool, be smart and have something to say!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #961
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

i think i told you that i dont "believe" in anything, if we define belief as acceptance without proof.

and you must certainly be aware by now that i dont place a lot of confidence in the old testament.

i dont know the answer. however, i am not putting up info that supports just one side, like you are.

i cant tell whether you cant see it, or just simply unwilling to admit it - that of you having very negative feelings about god and christianity. but i daresay anyone else reading the thread can see it.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #962
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i think i told you that i dont "believe" in anything, if we define belief as acceptance without proof.
That's not a definition for "belief", that's "faith".

Let me rephrase it to avoid confusion:

Do you think Judaism evolved from other religions, or do you think it appeared fully formed, independent of religions that came before it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
and you must certainly be aware by now that i dont place a lot of confidence in the old testament.
You say that, but you also seem hostile to evidence that contradicts the Old Testament, so I remain unsure of your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i cant tell whether you cant see it, or just simply unwilling to admit it - that of you having very negative feelings about god and christianity. but i daresay anyone else reading the thread can see it.
As I've said before, I have a low opinion of faith. I don't think I've singled out Christianity or its god over any other faith. I don't know what "anyone else" can see, I'm speaking directly to you.
__________________
"Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring!" - Seth Brundle
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #963
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

from dictionary.com

1.something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat. 2.confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief. 3.confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents. 4.a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.i think i hit it right on, with regards to the word belief. i am certainly not hostile towards evidence that contradicts the old testament. i would say that most of the ot is not something that i adhere to.

i think what you are confusing is evidence and what you present. you simply present only urls that are negative towards god and christianity. you are on every single thread about it. you even argued on the why is it okay to make fun of thread to point out wrongs in fundamentalist christians.

now i am not big on fundamentalist christians, either. my point being - you take the time to criticize christians wherever you can. so i suspect you are highly aware of these feelings, but just cant come to grips with admitting this to me, as of yet. dont waste your time trying to convince me otherwise. as i have said already, you have quacked extremely loud already.

with regards to your main question of judaism - i think i answered that already. i dont know if it evolved or came fully clothed. i just wasnt there, and can not say for sure. i cant even tell you what i "suspect", since i dont feel i have enough real information with which to suspect.

Last edited by gymeejet; 07-09-2007 at 11:24 AM..
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #964
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i think what you are confusing is evidence and what you present. you simply present only urls that are negative towards god and christianity. you are on every single thread about it. you even argued on the why is it okay to make fun of thread to point out wrongs in fundamentalist christians.
Huh? I said fundamentalist Muslims are more likely to kill you than fundamentalist Christians. That you could misconstrue that as a hostility toward Christianity should reveal something to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
with regards to your main question of judaism - i think i answered that already. i dont know if it evolved or came fully clothed. i just wasnt there, and can not say for sure. i cant even tell you what i "suspect", since i dont feel i have enough real information with which to suspect.
If you had to pick a horse, which would you pick?
__________________
"Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring!" - Seth Brundle
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #965
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
Huh? I said fundamentalist Muslims are more likely to kill you than fundamentalist Christians. That you could misconstrue that as a hostility toward Christianity should reveal something to you.
you seem to have selective memory. after your above statement, you went on to research and give us 3 urls of fundamentalist christians doing something bad - and then it appears that only one of the 3 could be proven to be christian.

that you could misconstrue what you said should reveal something to you.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #966
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
you seem to have selective memory. after your above statement, you went on to research and give us 3 urls of fundamentalist christians doing something bad - and then it appears that only one of the 3 could be proven to be christian.
I posted those URLs because TX WJ asked for examples of fundamentalist Christian violence. You must have read that, since I quoted it in the same post. I didn't go off on a wild hair to find bad press about Christians.

If you believe some group other than fundamentalist Christians is attacking abortion clinics in the US, please enlighten all of us. Deists? Rastafarians? Skull and Bones? Hash House Harriers? I'd love to hear your theories.

I'd also love to hear your guess about the origins of Judaism, but I'm starting to think you'll never share that.
__________________
"Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring!" - Seth Brundle
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 01:15 AM   #967
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

you eagerly shared the urls.

i have already answered your question about the origin of judaism, at least twice.

I DONT KNOW.

i dont make guesses about things unless i have information that makes me suspect one thing or the other. to me, a guess should be an informed one. i cant make an informed guess or suspicion on the origins of judaism, since i dont have any.

for example, you put a lot of trust in recorded egyptian history. but that is also the same society that is known to have things stricken from the records when the rulers did not like it.

in fact, that very thing was done to the one pharaoh who was discovered to have had a monotheistic society for 20 years or so. there certainly seems to be evidence that the christian society downgraded the importance of mary magdalene.

going back that far - too much time has elapsed and there was too little sophistication back then, such that records from that area are far far from being foolproof.

even today, i suspect the majority of people reading about jfk 1000 years from now will see him as some sort of hero, instead of the jerk that he was.

because most of the information that one reads today about jfk is the glorified nonsense. can you imagine how distorted the reality of 2000 bc most likely is ?

much of what i understand today comes from the hard work i did in sorting out what i know from what i was told. if one really does this on an unbiased basis, one can begin to become a self-actualized individual, instead of the brainwashed one that one was raised to be.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #968
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

in fact, not only jfk - but most of our famous people. the reality of these people and the facade of these people are likely quite different MOST OF THE TIME. and it is the facade that is likely to live on.

it is my high suspicion that our understanding of history is so full of holes, when compared to what actually happened, that it would be shocking to us, if we really found out the real truth.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #969
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
you eagerly shared the urls.
You found me out, I was frothing at the mouth as I posted them. I assume the spittle drops on my post gave me away.

Or was that just a guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i dont make guesses about things unless i have information that makes me suspect one thing or the other.
Ah, I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
to me, a guess should be an informed one. i cant make an informed guess or suspicion on the origins of judaism, since i dont have any.
You have enough information to say I posted those URLs "eagerly", but not enough to hazard a guess about the origin of Judaism? I find it hard to believe that someone with such a well developed and sensitive faculty of perception could have that little information about a subject that important to the history of western civilization. Have you made it your life's work to avoid any information about Judaism and where it came from?

<history rant deleted>

I have to assume you also avoid information about Egyptology to be so uninformed about how we've come to understand what we do about ancient Egypt. No, wait, you wouldn't have all these opinions if that was the case. You must know something about Egyptology that no Egyptologist knows. Please share it.
__________________
"Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring!" - Seth Brundle

Last edited by memebag; 07-13-2007 at 02:46 AM..
memebag is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #970
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post
You found me out, I was frothing at the mouth as I posted them. I assume the spittle drops on my post gave me away.

Or was that just a guess?
no, as i have told you countless number of times, you have demonstrated that behavior on many occasions. remember my analogy to a duck quacking ? you have quacked way too often. you just arent willing to admit what is obvious to anyone else reading the thread.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #971
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post


You have enough information to say I posted those URLs "eagerly", but not enough to hazard a guess about the origin of Judaism? I find it hard to believe that someone with such a well developed and sensitive faculty of perception could have that little information about a subject that important to the history of western civilization. Have you made it your life's work to avoid any information about Judaism and where it came from?
you must have a hard time comprehending.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #972
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post

<history rant deleted>
you deleted the statements that would have answered all of your above questions. we know a lot less about history than we think we do. that can be easily shown by what people know about what has occurred in just the past 100 years. much information has been twisted, etc - so that the average joe (including mem and gym) dont really know what happened.

gym realizes this. at this point, mem does not seem to. perhaps one day mem will.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #973
semipenguin
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Smile

The more and more I read this discussion, the more I realize just how profound the Bible really is...

1 Corinthians 1:27
KJV: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
__________________
duane...

Last edited by semipenguin; 07-13-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: :)
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #974
gymeejet
Sirius Star
 
Join Date: May 13, 2004
Posts: 5,491
gymeejet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memebag View Post

More generally, the burden of proof is always on the believer. I don't have to "believe" that no gods exist, I can assume it until proven otherwise.
i have never argued with that assumption. you however, go out of your way, to show any sort of argument that tends to put "the belief in god" as being incorrect.

i had many debates with amnesia, who is also a non-believer. but he did not do any of the sort of stuff that you are doing.
gymeejet is offline  
 
 
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #975
memebag
Sirius Star
does god exist ?
 
memebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2006
Location: Raxacoricofallapatorius
Posts: 2,320
memebag will become famous soon enoughmemebag will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i have never argued with that assumption. you however, go out of your way, to show any sort of argument that tends to put "the belief in god" as being incorrect.
You invited me to a thread called "does god exist", I must assume, to do exactly that. Make up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymeejet View Post
i had many debates with amnesia, who is also a non-believer. but he did not do any of the sort of stuff that you are doing.
And?
__________________
"Drink deep or taste not the plasma spring!" - Seth Brundle
memebag is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.