Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

The Street Converse with other investors about finance, economic and investment strategies. This is also the place to discuss SIRIUS XM company news and your favorite stocks.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #46
hieian
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 103
hieian is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzar
hieian, you crack me up. You are like a salmon swimming upstream. Maybe we should all chip in ten cents and buy him a satellite (Sirius) radio.
At least I am not stupid to pay money for a gimmick that has failed to switch 290M people from terrestrial radio to satellite radio where most people would use it for 15 to 20 minutes from Monday to Friday unless they have an Ipod, mp3 player, or CD player.
hieian is offline  
 
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #47
RoadRunner
Top Dog Member
XM Misses big time only 33% share
 
RoadRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 21, 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 4,581
RoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to RoadRunner Send a message via MSN to RoadRunner
Default

Yeah, you're just too smart for us. Thanks for sharing your wisdom; now move along!
RoadRunner is offline  
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #48
davjb
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2004
Posts: 82
davjb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoe
I am in no way "blinded" by anything. Terrestrial radio will always be the majority, and pay radio will never overtake it. It just represents alternate options for us in the minority. Many markets no longer offer oldies, country, reggae, classical or other niche programming. Where do their fans go to? They pay for the opportunity to get what they don't get or want on terrestrial. Many could care less, radio isnt that big of a thing to them, so be it. But, for those who do care and want a choice, we have XM and Sirius. Sure they are struggling, most new business ventures do. I have both XM and Sirius, they both do things I like and some I don't. Pathetic to you may not be to me. Likewise, what I find pathetic ( most terrestrial radio choices) you do not, so what? This is a free country and I am glad I have the opportunity to spend my dollar as I see fit. Free TV used the same arguments you have years ago when cable and sat tv came into being, they all exist fine now. There are alot more Nissans, Toyotas and Kia cars than there Jags or BMWs, quality isn't determined by numbers. I am afraid someone else has the blinders on and that can come from hate. There is your reality check.

Nicely said
davjb is offline  
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #49
SubSonic
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 57
SubSonic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieian
It's not pathetic since Sirius had a bigger draw with some additions of other programming that drew more people to subscribe to their sat radio. The fact remains that 290M people still use terrestrial radio and could get the stuff for free over the total of 6M who would have to pay for the convenience of no commercials, programming, and a mp3 player with better sound quality. When free terrestrial radio develops some technology that could give the same sound quality like satellite radio, the 290M people would still stick with free radio play.
That's the flaw in your argument. You assume that you can get the same things from free radio that you can get from satellite radio and that's just not correct. On the FM and AM dials, you get 5-10 tunable channels in most non-metro markets, that play the same song lists - per genre - complete with local commercials et al. I didn't go to sat radio to *just* get away from commercials and the pathetic 50 song-per-week play lists, or to step up to "digital" SQ. I went with satellite radio to get more genre specific choices than college music, rap, new country or pop, and talk channels that don't exist anywhere on free radio (NASCAR channel, etc) or don't exist on free radio in my market (ESPN Radio, etc). Those "talk/sports" channels also derail any arguments that MP3 players will reign supreme too. Last I heard, you couldn't download programming from most major talk channels as MP3s, and even when you can, they're older, archived shows, not the live versions, obviously. And I also went with satellite radio so I could "take" my favorite channels with me wherever I may be, my home near Raleigh, our log home up in the NC mountains, or down to the coast for vacations or what not. No more "seeking" is required to find yet another mediocre station once I drive far enough away from my home terrestrial radio market that I lose them.

That you and the other 289+million people only want tired Clear Channel programming and the same 50 songs over and over is not our problem. That you also don't have, or don't want to part with the startup cost of getting a tuner and then paying a monthly fee is also not our problem, and gives you no right to make us the bad guys in this deal. We want more than "free radio" can offer us, and we're willing to pay for it. If you are satisfied with your free radio, fine, stick with it. But you need to get off our case because we choose to have more.

And you also need to back off your argument about "15-20" minutes listening time as to what we're paying for what we're getting. My radio is portable, and I am not bound to my car/trucks to listen to it. I have docks in each of my autos, my house and my shop. I can listen to it 24 hours a day if I choose - just like your precious free radio.

You know, I apologize for my crassness, but I have to say that you'd have to expect it when you come in and make such blanket statements about our mindset as subscribers and calling us stupid for paying for something we can "get for free", when we know we can't get what we want for free. You simply can't blame your own willingness to settle for free radio on us sat radio subscribers that are beyond satisfied with what sat radio offers and are more than willing to pay a fee for the superior service they offer.
SubSonic is offline  
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #50
RoadRunner
Top Dog Member
XM Misses big time only 33% share
 
RoadRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 21, 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 4,581
RoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the roughRoadRunner is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to RoadRunner Send a message via MSN to RoadRunner
Default

Great post!
RoadRunner is offline  
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #51
BigRadioFan
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 22, 2005
Posts: 96
BigRadioFan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Why would you PAY for cable TV when there's free TV being broadcast? Oh yeah, because it gives you choices you can't get for free and it is worth it to you... Wait, what was your point again?

You know, if I go over and read the Decades boards on the XM site, I see that most people there enjoy listening to Casey Kasem and Wolfman Jack. They are the most commented about programming there by far.

If I look in the talk sections here, or there, I see that most people enjoy listening to Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern. Some comment about other shows like "Coast to Coast".

It's pretty weird that most of you tout how much better satellite radio is than AM/FM radio. But you do all know where those shows came from, right???? Things like Casey Kasem or Wolfman are just plain reruns from AM/FM. Almost all of the talk shows are simulcasts that you are paying for while others are getting them for free. You get the same amount of commercials during the shows too. The only thing that isn't repeated elsewhere is Howard, and it could definitely be argued that his prime years were on AM/FM. There hasn't been one satellite radio breakout star or show.

I'm not a fan of Clear Channel AM/FM radio either, but paying for virtually the same thing (taped shows, voicetracking, simulcasting) isn't the answer.

"The boys upstairs wanna see... how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free..." Tom Petty.
BigRadioFan is offline  
 
 
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #52
TheScionicMan
Sirius Star
 
TheScionicMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2006
Location: In the Hot Tub
Posts: 8,433
TheScionicMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheScionicMan has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRadioFan
You know, if I go over and read the Decades boards on the XM site, I see that most people there enjoy listening to Casey Kasem and Wolfman Jack. They are the most commented about programming there by far.

If I look in the talk sections here, or there, I see that most people enjoy listening to Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern. Some comment about other shows like "Coast to Coast".

It's pretty weird that most of you tout how much better satellite radio is than AM/FM radio. But you do all know where those shows came from, right???? Things like Casey Kasem or Wolfman are just plain reruns from AM/FM. Almost all of the talk shows are simulcasts that you are paying for while others are getting them for free. You get the same amount of commercials during the shows too. The only thing that isn't repeated elsewhere is Howard, and it could definitely be argued that his prime years were on AM/FM. There hasn't been one satellite radio breakout star or show.
It's not about where the shows originated, but what is available NOW.
__________________
--------------------------------

LUABASI
TheScionicMan is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #53
hieian
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 103
hieian is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonic
That's the flaw in your argument. You assume that you can get the same things from free radio that you can get from satellite radio and that's just not correct. On the FM and AM dials, you get 5-10 tunable channels in most non-metro markets, that play the same song lists - per genre - complete with local commercials et al. I didn't go to sat radio to *just* get away from commercials and the pathetic 50 song-per-week play lists, or to step up to "digital" SQ. I went with satellite radio to get more genre specific choices than college music, rap, new country or pop, and talk channels that don't exist anywhere on free radio (NASCAR channel, etc) or don't exist on free radio in my market (ESPN Radio, etc). Those "talk/sports" channels also derail any arguments that MP3 players will reign supreme too. Last I heard, you couldn't download programming from most major talk channels as MP3s, and even when you can, they're older, archived shows, not the live versions, obviously. And I also went with satellite radio so I could "take" my favorite channels with me wherever I may be, my home near Raleigh, our log home up in the NC mountains, or down to the coast for vacations or what not. No more "seeking" is required to find yet another mediocre station once I drive far enough away from my home terrestrial radio market that I lose them.

That you and the other 289+million people only want tired Clear Channel programming and the same 50 songs over and over is not our problem. That you also don't have, or don't want to part with the startup cost of getting a tuner and then paying a monthly fee is also not our problem, and gives you no right to make us the bad guys in this deal. We want more than "free radio" can offer us, and we're willing to pay for it. If you are satisfied with your free radio, fine, stick with it. But you need to get off our case because we choose to have more.

And you also need to back off your argument about "15-20" minutes listening time as to what we're paying for what we're getting. My radio is portable, and I am not bound to my car/trucks to listen to it. I have docks in each of my autos, my house and my shop. I can listen to it 24 hours a day if I choose - just like your precious free radio.

You know, I apologize for my crassness, but I have to say that you'd have to expect it when you come in and make such blanket statements about our mindset as subscribers and calling us stupid for paying for something we can "get for free", when we know we can't get what we want for free. You simply can't blame your own willingness to settle for free radio on us sat radio subscribers that are beyond satisfied with what sat radio offers and are more than willing to pay a fee for the superior service they offer.
Do you need some cheese with that whine? My statements would seem like blanket statements from individuals who don't do any research on the mindset of why certain people spend their money and time on certain things along with other tidbits of information. It seems that the biggest enemy to most of you is an educated and informed person just like some other posters that bring the actual reality of any situation from outside of any message board. A couple of marketing people on my job have observed this message board and they came to the same conclusion that I have about the reality of satellite radio not being a big draw away from terrestrial radio.

Last edited by hieian; 01-12-2007 at 03:08 PM..
hieian is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #54
loadfet17
Sirius Star
 
loadfet17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 13, 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,256
loadfet17 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRadioFan

I'm not a fan of Clear Channel AM/FM radio either, but paying for virtually the same thing (taped shows, voicetracking, simulcasting) isn't the answer.

"The boys upstairs wanna see... how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free..." Tom Petty.
Tell me BRF, what FM station can I tune to in order to get UNEDITED Howard Stern and every NFL game? Those two products ALONE are worth well over $13/month IMO. Throw in the fact that I also get COMMERCIAL FREE/UNEDITED music, makes it even more of a bargain. I will agree, taped shows and simulcasting are not the answer, maybe some day XM will figure that out.
__________________
Friday and Saturday nights, I'll probably be at:

www.williamsgrove.com

or

www.newegyptspeedway.net
loadfet17 is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #55
hieian
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 103
hieian is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadfet17
Tell me BRF, what FM station can I tune to in order to get UNEDITED Howard Stern and every NFL game? Those two products ALONE are worth well over $13/month IMO. Throw in the fact that I also get COMMERCIAL FREE/UNEDITED music, makes it even more of a bargain. I will agree, taped shows and simulcasting are not the answer, maybe some day XM will figure that out.
You misunderstood what he posted. Satellite radio has all of those things that terrestrial radio has. After listening to the audio clips and free Internet broadcast of Fangoria Radio, I found the exact same stuff that was on terrestrial radio with the commercials, taped shows, voice tracking, and simulcasting. As a matter of fact, since Fangoria Entertainment owns that stuff, I could access the previous week's stuff by video on the Fangoria TV website for free and the unedited stuff for a 9.99 per month fee for their paid subscription. Why should I pay for a Sirius satellite radio subscription when I could give my money to Fangoria Entertainment to get the stuff a week later? Maybe I should suggest to them that they should broadcast their stuff live on Fangoria TV so that they could get my money instead.
hieian is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #56
TheScionicMan
Sirius Star
 
TheScionicMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2006
Location: In the Hot Tub
Posts: 8,433
TheScionicMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheScionicMan has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieian
It seems that the biggest enemy to most of you is an educated and informed person just like some other posters that bring the actual reality of any situation from outside of any message board. A couple of marketing people on my job has observed this message board and they came to the same conclusion that I have about the reality of satellite radio not being a big draw away from terrestrial radio.
Has they? Then I guess that proves your point...

The reality is that they don't NEED to be a big draw, a decent percentage will be more than enough
__________________
--------------------------------

LUABASI
TheScionicMan is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #57
hieian
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 103
hieian is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Has they? Then I guess that proves your point...

The reality is that they don't NEED to be a big draw, a decent percentage will be more than enough
Too bad that they have an edit button for anyone to fix any grammatical error. So your response about it is not effective.
hieian is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #58
hazzar
Rocket Scientist
 
Join Date: Nov 26, 2003
Posts: 788
hazzar is on a distinguished road
Question

hieian, Would you at least go buy yourself a satellite radio already. Or borrow a friends (so you dont have to pay $.40 a day) then go ahead and listen for a month. After that, go ahead and post your satellite radio experience, when it might mean something to someone.
hazzar is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #59
hieian
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 06, 2006
Posts: 103
hieian is on a distinguished road
Default

Hazzar, why don't you move on and stop posting trollish responses? Since your intent is to continue some mess with individuals who are smarter and have more common sense than you, it would be unwise to continue your actions that would be seen as immature and childish.
hieian is offline  
 
 
Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #60
DAB
Site Editor / Moderator
XM Misses big time only 33% share
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 20,013
DAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura aboutDAB has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieian
Hazzar, why don't you move on and stop posting trollish responses? Since your intent is to continue some mess with individuals who are smarter and have more common sense than you, it would be unwise to continue your actions that would be seen as immature and childish.
Boy talk about calling the Kettle Black!!!

Why don't you practice what you preach?

The fact is you behavior is no better than any one else's and for someone that suppose to be so darn smart, you sure don't act like it.

Now if you guys are going to continue with all this nonsense, then we are going to be forced to step in and clean up these threads. ENOUGH!!!!
__________________
DAB

Digital Radio Central (New Forum) http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/forum.php

Slacker G2 Premium (4gb-25 Stations), Home Dock
Delphi XpressRC with 2 Home, 2 Car Docks and XMBB1 Boombox
1st Gen, iPod Touch 32gb (Slacker and Pandora Apps) iKicker Boombox
DAB is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time and Battery Icon Display Annoying bkos SIRIUS S50 5 01-03-2006 09:50 PM
Time Zone For Forums palermo22 SIRIUS Backstage Feedback 8 12-22-2005 04:32 PM
XM retail share up again in February Vberger Galaxy Nation 0 03-30-2005 07:52 AM
Joe C refutes the arguements about market share data. Oberlyn The Street 6 05-07-2004 07:12 AM
Some insight into the Fools dislike of SIRI Trezdustrial The Street 1 02-20-2004 04:45 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.