Digital Radio Central - Sponsored by TSS Radio
  DRC Home Page DRC Forums Contact Us  
 
SIRIUS Backstage Forum
 
 
 
  Sirius Satellite Radio XM Satellite Radio iTunes/iPod Slacker Pandora  
 
 
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >
Visit Digital Radio Central

Notices

XM Soundwave Lounge Got XM? Then this his is your place to hang out and share your thoughts about it.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
 
Old 08-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #31
Pinball_Wizard
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Feb 27, 2007
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 7
Pinball_Wizard is on a distinguished road
Default

- Bob Dylan's show, Theme Time Radio Hour is excellent.

- The XM 50s channel plays into the early 60s....everything from 1950 to just before the British Invasion. IMO it is excellent. They also run a show featuring early 50s pop called Moments To Remember. Every Friday night they do a 'cat fight' where the listeners vote for their favorite of two artists doing the same song. Check out the Alley of Fame at www.mattthecat.com Listener interaction through request phone calls that are put on the air is important on the 50s channel and in the mornings on the 60s channel.

- btw the other way around, I am sure that many XM listeners are eager to hear Cousin Bruce!
Pinball_Wizard is offline  
 
 
Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #32
semipenguin
Sirius Star
What's on XM to be excited about?
 
semipenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 5,350
semipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura aboutsemipenguin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to semipenguin
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball_Wizard View Post
- The XM 50s channel plays into the early 60s....everything from 1950 to just before the British Invasion.
Really?...

This is like Sirius. When I had XM, nothing that was on the charts after 12/31/59 was played on XM's '50s channel...
__________________
duane...
semipenguin is offline  
 
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #33
kc1ih
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Mar 19, 2004
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 464
kc1ih is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kc1ih
Default

Those of us who still miss "Folktown" (the folk music channel that Sirius canceled about three years ago) will welcome being able to get "The Village" from XM.
__________________
Larry
Lake Wobegone, NH
kc1ih is offline  
 
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #34
kc1ih
Mixologist
 
Join Date: Mar 19, 2004
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 464
kc1ih is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kc1ih
Default

I know that XM has channels named after I Love Lucy characters, namely Fred and Lucy. This is cute, but gives people no clue what kind of music they play. Can anyone clarify?
__________________
Larry
Lake Wobegone, NH
kc1ih is offline  
 
 
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #35
derek1079
Rocket Scientist
 
derek1079's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 23, 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 865
derek1079 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to derek1079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1ih View Post
I know that XM has channels named after I Love Lucy characters, namely Fred and Lucy. This is cute, but gives people no clue what kind of music they play. Can anyone clarify?
Fred is the older Alternative. Same era as Sirius's First Wave, but Fred plays many more obscure songs.

Lucy is mainly 90s Alternative (with less of a grunge focus than Lithium though). They'll throw in a few 80s tunes once in awhile.

Ethel is basically your FM Alternative station. Pretty similar to Alt Nation.
__________________
derek1079 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #36
IdRatherBeSkiing
Sirius Star
 
IdRatherBeSkiing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,845
IdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enoughIdRatherBeSkiing will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipenguin View Post
Really?...

This is like Sirius. When I had XM, nothing that was on the charts after 12/31/59 was played on XM's '50s channel...
Based on the 70s and 80s channel, XM does play 'cusp' material on either side of the decade.
__________________
XM Subscriber since 2005/12/05:
  • Pioneer Airware *2
  • Tao
  • Pontiac G5 (XM Canada)
Siruus Subscriber since 2007/12/06:
  • Stilletto 2 (LIFE)
  • Premium Internet
  • 8Gb Sandisk microSDHC (1400+ songs)
Led Zeppelin sucks until 2008/12/31 (or popular demand).
You can find me here:
IdRatherBeSkiing is offline  
 
 
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #37
Pinball_Wizard
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Feb 27, 2007
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Posts: 7
Pinball_Wizard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipenguin View Post
Really?...

This is like Sirius. When I had XM, nothing that was on the charts after 12/31/59 was played on XM's '50s channel...
Yes. The XM 50s channel plays songs all the way to the mid-sixties.

OTOH the XM 60s channel is relatively strict about limiting their songs to the sixties.
Pinball_Wizard is offline  
 
 
Old 08-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #38
goreds2
Sirius Star
 
goreds2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2005
Location: XM Country
Posts: 2,056
goreds2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Via the merger, I would hope that SIRIUS XM keeps

Casey Kasem:

http://www.xmradio.com/caseykasem/index.xmc

Do you remember waking up and knowing it was Sunday morning because you would roll over, push the on button on your radio and there was Casey Kasem saying, "Now, on with the countdown." Where was your favorite song going to end up? Did Madonna make it to number one again?

Casey Kasem's American Top 40, all the original countdowns from the '70s and '80s, return to the air on XM, only this time with no commercials.

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars".


AND

Rick Dees for the decades channels:

The Rick Dees Weekly Top 40

There's Always Something New – Radio icon Rick Dees counts down the hits with the "Rick Dees Weekly Top 40." Relive countdowns from the '80s (Channel 8) and '90s (Channel 9) every weekend, and stay up-to-date with today's chart toppers every Sunday evening with his countdown of current hits on XM Hitlist (Channel 30).

The '80s Countdown:
Saturdays at 9AM ET
__________________
* On My IGNORE List: Jgatie

** Jgatie quote to me: "Start sticking your pointy little head in where it doesn't belong and I'll get a mod to go all xzi on your ass. That's a promise."

http://www.sirius.com/thevirus

MEL: Please add RADIO MARGARITAVILLE to Best of SIRIUS package.

* Eddie and TRACY Radio Show 3pm-6pm est. on XM173 (WLW)

Two XM MyFi's (One for son / One for me with BEST OF SIRIUS)
One XM Delphi In Home Repeater
One SIRIUS Stratus 4 in Mrs. goreds2 Car
goreds2 is offline  
 
 
Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #39
Ikkin
Just Tuned In
What's on XM to be excited about?
 
Join Date: Nov 20, 2005
Posts: 5
Ikkin is on a distinguished road
Default

We are a dual family.
I started with Sirius, my husband started with XM.

I have factory XM in my car, but use a stilleto. At work, we only can listen to replays. Within in a 7-1/2 hour day, with Alt Nation, and Lithium, we can hear a few of the same songs over and over.

i like sirius, 24, 21, some spectrum, and of course Elvis!

XM has Deep Tracks (40), i've not heard repeats at all, since i've been listening. Sunday mornings, Theme radio hour w/Bob Dylan, awesome show. Tom Petty has a show, buried treasure.

Lucy(54), and Ethel (47) remind me of Alt Nation and Lithium.
Squizz (48) is a harder rock. Godsmack, Alice n chains type.

I need more time and more radios, I want them ALL!! Now!
Ikkin is offline  
 
 
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #40
Brad1Sirius
Just Tuned In
 
Join Date: Aug 15, 2008
Posts: 2
Brad1Sirius is on a distinguished road
Default

I have had XM since Apr 02. Some of my favourites are: The Loft, Ch 50; Deep Tracks Ch 40; Fine Tuning, Ch 76; The Village, Ch 15 and The Beautiful Music Channel 78, Escape.
Brad1Sirius is offline  
 
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #41
Troglodyte
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 97
Troglodyte is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
Via the merger, I would hope that SIRIUS XM keeps

Casey Kasem:

http://www.xmradio.com/caseykasem/index.xmc

Do you remember waking up and knowing it was Sunday morning because you would roll over, push the on button on your radio and there was Casey Kasem saying, "Now, on with the countdown." Where was your favorite song going to end up? Did Madonna make it to number one again?

Casey Kasem's American Top 40, all the original countdowns from the '70s and '80s, return to the air on XM, only this time with no commercials.

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars".


AND

Rick Dees for the decades channels:

The Rick Dees Weekly Top 40

There's Always Something New – Radio icon Rick Dees counts down the hits with the "Rick Dees Weekly Top 40." Relive countdowns from the '80s (Channel 8) and '90s (Channel 9) every weekend, and stay up-to-date with today's chart toppers every Sunday evening with his countdown of current hits on XM Hitlist (Channel 30).

The '80s Countdown:
Saturdays at 9AM ET

Like I said in another thread, it's great to hear Casey Kasem but the countdowns that they do play are wildly inconsistant. They will do a survey from one year then come back to that same year a couple of weeks later. And there are years they NEVER do. Dave Hoefel's countdown show on the 70's channel is way better. He gets to all ten years in ten weeks. Nothing is left out. It would be great if they could keep both of them.
Troglodyte is offline  
 
 
Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #42
S50isagem
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 09, 2006
Posts: 30
S50isagem is on a distinguished road
Default To combine all would be a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetahead View Post
Sounds good! We're definitely lacking any decent soul oldies channel at Sirius. Hopefully they'll combine the two services effectively.
I love the Hits! They should not mess with soultown. should sirius mix in more songs? yes, but they will have to be careful making them to much alike...xm and sirius ..the music they play are really not the same. both are good because subs like the music they play..but this is a bizness..., 53 soultown is wonderful. I wrote a letter to sirius about how they needed to add more R & B channels years ago..R&B is not rap, or Hip-hop, and need to be getting some more love. I told them how I could not send any one to sirius if they loved R&B, even when I believe Soultown, is better than any R&B channel on XM...but XM is deeper, with more choice, and channels. Now, I do not have XM, but have listened to the channels on Dish... I have tried to love them but, I don't. I think Sirius's most popular channels should not be touched, get rid of the channels people don't listen to and bring over XM's best..Heart & Soul is some garbage!. I told them they need an R&B channel that plays mid 80s, and early 90's only, and a channel that plays mid 90's and up. Perfection.
S50isagem is offline  
 
 
Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #43
planetahead
Rocket Scientist
What's on XM to be excited about?
 
planetahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 16, 2005
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 641
planetahead will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S50isagem View Post
I love the Hits! They should not mess with soultown. should sirius mix in more songs? yes, but they will have to be careful making them to much alike...xm and sirius ..the music they play are really not the same. both are good because subs like the music they play..but this is a bizness..., 53 soultown is wonderful. I wrote a letter to sirius about how they needed to add more R & B channels years ago..R&B is not rap, or Hip-hop, and need to be getting some more love. I told them how I could not send any one to sirius if they loved R&B, even when I believe Soultown, is better than any R&B channel on XM...but XM is deeper, with more choice, and channels. Now, I do not have XM, but have listened to the channels on Dish... I have tried to love them but, I don't. I think Sirius's most popular channels should not be touched, get rid of the channels people don't listen to and bring over XM's best..Heart & Soul is some garbage!. I told them they need an R&B channel that plays mid 80s, and early 90's only, and a channel that plays mid 90's and up. Perfection.
well i kind of hate to use the 'i have a black friend' thing.. but he grew up back in the day, and the stuff they play on soultown isn't what was being played on the radio he was listening to growing up... it's the 'soul' stuff that was being played on the radio i was listening to growing up.. it'd be nice to have a soul oldies station i could listen to with him and not be embarrassed
planetahead is offline  
 
 
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #44
S50isagem
Channel Surfer
 
Join Date: Dec 09, 2006
Posts: 30
S50isagem is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetahead View Post
well i kind of hate to use the 'i have a black friend' thing.. but he grew up back in the day, and the stuff they play on soultown isn't what was being played on the radio he was listening to growing up... it's the 'soul' stuff that was being played on the radio i was listening to growing up.. it'd be nice to have a soul oldies station i could listen to with him and not be embarrassed
You are correct, soultown compiles all of the most played from the stations back in the day. I agree with what you are saying..XM has those, I'm saying add them, but don't mess with soultown. They need both. And add the 80s and 90s R&B hits. They need about 5 max R&B channels to cover what we all want.
1st Get rid of Heart & Soul, move some of those DJ's over to Suite 62
1)Suite 62
2)XM 64
3)Soultown.. Blend in best of Soulstreet 60, put on Soultown
4)The City XM 67...Blend in best of Hot Jams
5)The Heat 68
I would love this.
S50isagem is offline  
 
 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #45
buttbongo
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2008
Posts: 3
buttbongo is on a distinguished road
Default

boneyard is better than hair nation and buzzsaw in my opinion
buttbongo is offline  
 
 
 

Go Back   SIRIUS Backstage Forum > >


Digitalradiocentral.com




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excited about new equipment? Anyone? JoeTan SIRIUS XM Radio (Merger Mania) 4 03-30-2008 02:58 AM
Anyone excited to hear TSL back on the air? EldoraFan56 SIRIUS NASCAR Radio 6 02-07-2008 04:32 PM
I'm so excited Kire SIRIUS Dogstar Cafe 21 07-19-2006 10:06 PM
Why are XM subscribers so excited? AZJoe Galaxy Nation 29 01-15-2004 05:42 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.39 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All Content Copyright SIRIUS Backstage. All Rights Reserved. SIRIUS and registered trademarks are the property of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. The opinions posted on SIRIUS Backstage website and forums are those of the individual posters and/or this website and are not necessarily the opinions or positions of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc.